Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2nd Test South Africa v England

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like all over now thanks to RAIN ☔ Hallelujah!

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I never understood why we declared in the 1st innings so early in the Test as we had scored those runs so quickly.
Surely we need to bat a side out of a test first.
They should have been aware from when they were batting that this pitch was a batting dream.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They've called it a day now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Officially called off now. Match drawn.

England lead series 0-1 with 2 to play.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Plenty of run scorers in that team to have Compton take his time if you ask me.

I agree, it's just he's officially the slowest since Tavare, and Tavare made Boycott look like Stokes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I never understood why we declared in the 1st innings so early in the Test as we had scored those runs so quickly.
Surely we need to bat a side out of a test first.
They should have been aware from when they were batting that this pitch was a batting dream.

Made sense at the time. 7 or 8 overs before Tea, then the Tea break, then at them for the evening session. Bowlers fully rested over night having had nearly 40 overs at them. In declaring early, the quick scoring had enabled England to not require a follow on to win the match in terms of time. If they could bowl SA out for under 550, they'd have a great chance to rest the bowlers, bat again and go at SA on the final day. Had we held our catches, possible we should have had them out with a 100 lead or so.

I've been a massive critic of Cook over the years, always thought he looked to avoid defeat first. At least in this match his declaration was thinking mainly of winning the match - which for me is what we want, it was the attacking thing to do, backing yourself to get them out. As it happened, it's a draw and it was a bit of a wobble. The declaration wasn't the issue in this match, the 10 dropped catches were, had we held Amla and AB early, then this would have been a different ending.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Breaking News............

Hashim Amla has resigned the SA Captaincy

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Made sense at the time. 7 or 8 overs before Tea, then the Tea break, then at them for the evening session. Bowlers fully rested over night having had nearly 40 overs at them. In declaring early, the quick scoring had enabled England to not require a follow on to win the match in terms of time. If they could bowl SA out for under 550, they'd have a great chance to rest the bowlers, bat again and go at SA on the final day. Had we held our catches, possible we should have had them out with a 100 lead or so.

I've been a massive critic of Cook over the years, always thought he looked to avoid defeat first. At least in this match his declaration was thinking mainly of winning the match - which for me is what we want, it was the attacking thing to do, backing yourself to get them out. As it happened, it's a draw and it was a bit of a wobble. The declaration wasn't the issue in this match, the 10 dropped catches were, had we held Amla and AB early, then this would have been a different ending.

Saves me having to type out my opinion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Blimey.

I watched much of the first couple of days and have been listening to TMS for the last three. There has certainly been a lot for him to contend with. TMS commentators were saying he knew nothing about advisers such as Smith being brought in for example.

That said he'd had his tail up for the last couple of days to the point where SA could have dragged themselves back in to the series at Wanderers. Maybe he'd made the decisions after the criticism of their bowling and fielding and was playing like a man with the pressure taken off his shoulders. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to someone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ooops ..The SA journalist on the TMS lunchtime panel said how unlikely it was that he'd resign. particularly as there were so few other candidates (given that ABDV is looking to cut back on his games). There's a journalist with her finger on the pulse

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ooops ..The SA journalist on the TMS lunchtime panel said how unlikely it was that he'd resign. particularly as there were so few other candidates (given that ABDV is looking to cut back on his games). There's a journalist with her finger on the pulse

de Villiers taking over at least for the remainder of this series.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amla quits captaincy!!! ....bugger, was rather hoping his 200 and the Saffers performance this Test would keep him in place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
de Villiers taking over at least for the remainder of this series.

That suggests that the stories of him quitting at the end of the series to be untrue. I can't see the point of appointing someone for two games and then picking someone else

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That suggests that the stories of him quitting at the end of the series to be untrue. I can't see the point of appointing someone for two games and then picking someone else

From CricInfo

De Villiers said that while being handed the job in such circumstances it would allow him to fulfil a dream of captaining his country in Test cricket and Russell Domingo, South Africa's coach, said he was the frontrunner for the role longer term.

"I've said this before that it is an incredible honour to captain South Africa in any format. The captaincy has obviously come at short notice and is the realisation of a lifelong dream," de Villiers said.

"At the moment my priority and focus is placed on leading this team to what can be a memorable series win against England. This Test squad is motivated and determined to turn our performances around and I'm looking forward to taking up that challenge as captain. Hashim is a good friend and close colleague and I am grateful for his support."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
From CricInfo

De Villiers said that while being handed the job in such circumstances it would allow him to fulfil a dream of captaining his country in Test cricket and Russell Domingo, South Africa's coach, said he was the frontrunner for the role longer term.

I wonder whether there's been action behind the scenes here: AB was not happy about being not being captain and Amla was feeling under pressure. ABDV then dropped hints about him quitting, a few words in the shell-like, and hey presto - De Villiers and Amla both feel better and no more nonsense about quitting.

Think this will strengthen them: Steyn's back for the next match and with Philander back for the final game, SA will be stronger. Reckon Cook will come in to open too - could be a tight series yet

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What has been good is that Supersport are showing a special half hour program for Temba Bavuma's 100, to celebrate the fact that he is the first black african to score a century for SA. Shame it has taken 24 years, but good that they are heavily focussing on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here