Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who is there to consider for the No 3 spot?

Root is the obvious candidate. If he is genuinely as good as we talk him up, he is better placed to set the tone of an innings ala Ponting did for the Aussies.

Ballance bats at 4 and 5 for Yorkshire which is where he gets his runs. I'd say Root needs to accept that while 4 is his favoured position, we are struggling at 3 and he needs to bat there. Might help Ballance to then bat either before or after Bairstow.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There must be one or two Saffers playing in the counties who can quickly have their qualification arranged to play for England?

There's the lad at Durham, he scores lots of runs for the county.
Let's send for Keaton Jennings ...... oh

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
To be honest I think this was bound to happen and now the problems should be able to be identified and it may even be worth experimenting with separate squads for limited overs cricket and test cricket.
Different temperaments required and even though Joe Root is shocked at the comments that Michael Vaughan made, he can't deny that he has a point.
It should be considered as constructive criticism and not insulting, though it really didn't help saying this in public and should have been behind closed doors, but the comments had to be made.
Mr Boycott should be an advisor when it comes to test match practice, say what you like but he was a consistent player at test level with a lifetimes worth of experience.
One day cricket and T20 has brought cricket back to the attention of sports fans, but test cricket should always last at least the 5 days allotted.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Number 3 needs to be able to bat for a day, not an hour.

Is there an English test batsman apart from Root who can bat for a day in a test?
Cook maybe?
The rest seem to think it's limited overs cricket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is there an English test batsman apart from Root who can bat for a day in a test?
Cook maybe?
The rest seem to think it's limited overs cricket.

Definitely part of the problem. Long term it is too as the counties are only interested in bringing in/on players who can bash it about for the 20 & 50 over stuff (that's where the money is) so the 4-day game is dying on its arse and not producing test match batsmen.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To be honest I think this was bound to happen and now the problems should be able to be identified and it may even be worth experimenting with separate squads for limited overs cricket and test cricket.
Different temperaments required and even though Joe Root is shocked at the comments that Michael Vaughan made, he can't deny that he has a point.
It should be considered as constructive criticism and not insulting, though it really didn't help saying this in public and should have been behind closed doors, but the comments had to be made.
Mr Boycott should be an advisor when it comes to test match practice, say what you like but he was a consistent player at test level with a lifetimes worth of experience.
One day cricket and T20 has brought cricket back to the attention of sports fans, but test cricket should always last at least the 5 days allotted.

What did Vaughan say?

Edit: Don't worry, found it online.

So, to add: If Root feels the players DO respect Test Cricket, then it's either mental or technical. Which is worse.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Definitely part of the problem. Long term it is too as the counties are only interested in bringing in/on players who can bash it about for the 20 & 50 over stuff (that's where the money is) so the 4-day game is dying on its arse and not producing test match batsmen.

Exactly what I was saying and you slated me for saying it. No 3 has been a problem for most of my time of watching cricket and many good county batsmen were tried and failed to make the step up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
After Zimbabwe recovered from 59-5 to make 377 in their last innings. Ouch!

Indeed.

ZIM added 520 runs for the last five wickets across their two innings. Impressive.

In return, SRI went on from 203/5 in their chase, still almost 200 short, to win with the loss of just one more wicket.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Should there be changes for the 3rd test and if so who and which players or do we give them all one more chance to redeem themselves?

I would say

1. Alistair Cook - stick with
2. Keaton Jennings - needs a score - stick
3. Mark Stoneman - opens for Surrey - averaging 67 this season. Playing at no 3 for England is the equivalent of opening. So play him here
4. Joe Root - stay where he is
5. Jonny Bairstow - needs to knuckle down
6. Ben Stokes - Keep
7. Moeen Ali
8. Adil Rashid Add him. Will also get some runs
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Joe Root has a tough job to pull this team tighter. I have always thought and continue to think that when the breaks go our way we can look a very useful unit. It is when we need to adapt to certain passages of play we fail to employ alternative plans.

I am on the outside looking in but feel that Root has to contend with tough personalities in the locker room in Broad and Anderson. In particular Broad seems to be very very single minded in what he thinks is the right thing to do and be blowed with what is best for the team. Anderson whilst an outstanding swing bowler can fail to alter his length to suit conditions. if Philander can be some damn tricky then there is no doubt Jimmy can as well. I am astounded that Saffers were allowed to bat with limited pressure in first innings.

Finally I also worry about overhyping Stokes he can pull out an extraordinary delivery but in general has limited control. How was he allowed to bowl with that fall away action! and just what does Wood bring to the party?

This is just an opinion from someone with limited knowledge of the fine art so just expressing and venting at the same time.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would say

1. Alistair Cook - stick with
2. Keaton Jennings - needs a score - stick
3. Mark Stoneman - opens for Surrey - averaging 67 this season. Playing at no 3 for England is the equivalent of opening. So play him here
4. Joe Root - stay where he is
5. Jonny Bairstow - needs to knuckle down
6. Ben Stokes - Keep
7. Moeen Ali
8. Adil Rashid Add him. Will also get some runs
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Do we need 6 bowlers ?.....

Id be tempted to add another bat like Stoneman and go with Moeen, Stokes, Broad, Anderson plus another seamer/spinner depending on surface.....

Move Ali down to 8.

Cook
Jennings
Stoneman
Root
Ballance
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Broad
Wood/Spinner/Seamer
Anderson

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do we need 6 bowlers ?.....

Id be tempted to add another bat like Stoneman and go with Moeen, Stokes, Broad, Anderson plus another seamer/spinner depending on surface.....

Move Ali down to 8.

Cook
Jennings
Stoneman
Root
Ballance
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Broad
New Seamer/Wood/Spinner
Anderson

Those numbers would also work, and I think there is a strong case for it. What worries me is retaining Ballance as his technique is flawed at this level.

Maybe play Bairstow as a batsman only and play Buttler as wicket keeper?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Those numbers would also work, and I think there is a strong case for it. What worries me is retaining Ballance as his technique is flawed at this level.

Maybe play Bairstow as a batsman only and play Buttler as wicket keeper?

Yep worth thnking about, dont want to write Ballance of just yet.... moving him down the order gives him a better chance... if he fails at that for this series then time to look elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here