Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v Pakistan, Old Trafford

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hales is useless there is an answer as I have been saying but the selectors wont do it.

I really dislike it when people assume they know best despite clearly being clueless. Given your knowledge of all sports, it is frankly shocking that you've not managed top level clubs in football and cricket (at the same time).

Trescothick isn't the answer. He was brilliant in his day but there's no point looking back.

Hales had a great series against Sri Lanka. Yes, he's started slowly in this series (and there is an argument that Sir Lanka had a weak attack) but you've got to give him time. It would ruin his confidence, and that of all serious options for the opening position, if a 40 year old was brought in to the side instead.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really dislike it when people assume they know best despite clearly being clueless. Given your knowledge of all sports, it is frankly shocking that you've not managed top level clubs in football and cricket (at the same time).

Trescothick isn't the answer. He was brilliant in his day but there's no point looking back.

Hales had a great series against Sri Lanka. Yes, he's started slowly in this series (and there is an argument that Sir Lanka had a weak attack) but you've got to give him time. It would ruin his confidence, and that of all serious options for the opening position, if a 40 year old was brought in to the side instead.

To be fair, he only meant for ONE match.

(Allan Lamb is down for the third Test)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day 1

England 95-1 (27 overs)

Cook 40*(75) Root 41*(68)

after losing Hales early on for 10, Alastair Cook and Joe Root have ensured that it has been England's session all the way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Is that not a point of fans message boards and forums as we all have better knowledge than the management in place. Obviously this excludes you as you always agree with everything and wouldnt have an original idea if your life depended on it. My views are just that my views and a point for discussion if you dont agree so be it. It wont stop me having original thoughts even they do appear somewhat bizarre to many some times.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is that not a point of fans message boards and forums as we all have better knowledge than the management in place. Obviously this excludes you as you always agree with everything and wouldnt have an original idea if your life depended on it. My views are just that my views and a point for discussion if you dont agree so be it. It wont stop me having original thoughts even they do appear somewhat bizarre to many some times.

So say there's an option. You should look at the way you phrase things. Firstly "Hales is useless" is a statement of fact. Not an opinion. And while not proven at test level, it is also incorrect to say he is useless.

Then you state "there is an answer as I have been saying but the selectors wont do it". This suggests that you know for a fact it would work. Not "I have an idea" or "We could try". That is a view. Yours was a confrontational statement of fact and seems to make out the selectors are stupid for not trying a 40 year old.

If you look at threads, I have plenty of original views and ideas, I just phrase them in a way that aren't confrontational (which much of yours are). Maybe it's just but I find your way of posting to be superior to many on here, as if you know best, which encourages reactions like mine (or of mocking you like others have done on this thread) and doesn't lead to discussion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The difference being Trescothick is still playing 1st class cricket and has scored 4 centuries this season including 1 against Pakistan.

BG, the ONLY way this could happen is if you disguised yourself as a gin waiter, snuck into Lord's and plied the selectors with Gordon's over a three hour period.

Fortunately the current England selectors tend to get it right most of the time but I do miss some of the antics of the 80s and 90s - who could forget the gin-soaked selection of Monty Lynch, or Ted Dexter selecting Malcolm Devon, or announcing Jimmy Cook was in the England frame only for a journalist to point out he was South African?

Going back a little earlier - the recall of Brian Close vs Windies aged 45 and Norman Gifford aged 44 were also particular highlights. Bringing back Banger would be right up there with those great times.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Trescothick will never play test cricket again!!

Personally I don't see what Hales is doing so wrong.....lots of other modern day players didn't start brilliantly but given a bit of time and faith turned out to be fantastic players for England.....Joe Root and Jimmy Anderson , remember how they started??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another record for Cook - now most test 50s as England captain (31 - beating Mike Atherton's 30).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
103 partnership for Cook 59* (contribution 44) and Root 53* off 192 balls :clap:

England 128-1 (38.2 overs)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here