Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 26th August 2017 - Favourites for relegation from the Premier League

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rewind to 1973 (or every Sunday on ITV4); Yaphet Kotto as Dr. Kananga and Mr. Big - the main baddie - in 'Live & Let Die'. Remember how he died in that film - with a gas pellet shoved down his throat?

That look on his face just as the pellet exploded - exactly the same look Garth Crooks gave when he seriously informed everyone at the beginning of the season that Brighton were going down...

And that weapon of a Leicester local paper journalist who said we were the worst Premier League team he'd ever seen :clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before this season, the bookies had Newcastle as staying up.

Ah yes I forgot about Newcastle and Rafa, they were only ever on loan to the Championship for the pundits who knew all about them already

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And that weapon of a Leicester local paper journalist who said we were the worst Premier League team he'd ever seen :clap2:

Given the way we played at Leicester I kind of get why he said it. I think that was their only win for ages too wasn’t it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jesus. Didn't know anyone had said that. What a prat.

Rewind to the beginning of two seasons ago - FourFourTwo predicted 24th in the Championship...

Yeah, it's on another thread somewhere (I think around the time of the Leicester home game- he made the judgement in August after we played there). Somebody managed to dig it out...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah yes I forgot about Newcastle and Rafa, they were only ever on loan to the Championship for the pundits who knew all about them already

In fairness (although I know a lot of NSC'ers can't stand NUFC) Newcastle retained most of their PL players when they got relegated, so they didn't require the squad upgrade of Brighton and Hudd.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
If those odds were after the games on 26th of August, Huddersfield were on 7 points then.

Don't think so....the odds must have been BEFORE the start of the season because Burnley won 3-2 at champions Chelsea in the first match and drew 1-1 at Spurs in the third match.

Not even the most incompetent bookie would have had them as 2nd favourites for relegation after those two results..

After the August 26 matches, Palace would have been one of the favourites to go down:) Home defeats against Huddersfield & Swansea.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Were they?

'All' their signings was because they had virtually an entire squad to assemble. So they had to acquire a lot. It looked impressive (people are easily suckered by the quantity of signings), but has ultimately been... well, not as effective as us. I wouldn't call it 'brilliant', I'd call it 'necessary', bordering on 'urgent'.
:ffsparr:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be a very big achievement if the three promoted clubs managed to prove the “nailed on to go down” mentality of the bookies and Premier League pundits is just ignorance. Anyone remember Lineker managing to sum up the Leicester vs Brighton game without actually mentioning Brighton, or did I make that up? Pretty well all the pundits had us as relegation certs and most of them knew absolutely nothing about our players
In fairness though this is only the 2nd or 3rd time (since football began, in 1992) all 3 teams have stayed up.
So by choosing all 3 as relegation favourites they think they're onto a certainty that 1 will be right.

Cardiffstandchat may well be bouncing a similar thread in 12 months time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here