Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 23 years ago today - survival at hereford

Lego-Stand

Nov 6, 2003
Must have been a fantastic day for you. Without a stadium and without a spot in the Football League, would the club even exist today?

Good question , I was there that day and the despair and relief in equal measures was unreal . Even with Uncle Dick Knight in the wings and our amazing fanbase I do think if we had gone down we would not be where we are today. Mind you we were utter shite house the following 2 seasons and nearly went again!:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good question , I was there that day and the despair and relief in equal measures was unreal . Even with Uncle Dick Knight in the wings and our amazing fanbase I do think if we had gone down we would not be where we are today. Mind you we were utter shite house the following 2 seasons and nearly went again!:lolol:

Thank God for Doncaster!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The worst halt time ever followed by the best full time ever, such a change in mood and outlook in 45 minutes.

Wasn't it just?

Half time at Hereford was the first time that the seriousness of our situation fully hit home. Prior to that there was always a second chance, another game but there at Edgar Street, at half time, losing one nil, the reality came and Mike Tysoned me in the gut. If we lost, we were down. If we were down, we were not just out the league and homeless we were almost definitely gone from existence. And there we were, at Edgar Street, in a season where in the previous 22 away games we had only picked up 6 points, at half time, we were losing. We were going down and we were going to cease existing as a club.

That was one almighty gut punch.

And then Maskell hits the post, the ball rebounds back into the box and in slow,slow motion Reinelt gets to the loose ball, and in slow, slow, slow motion fires it back goalwards and into the net and then...explosion of joy and relief and the craziest goal celebrations I've ever been part off.

I'm sad that I missed the Albion's promotion to the premier league, it looked an incredible experience but I'm forever grateful that I was there on the terraces in Hereford and wouldn't swap the two experiences for anything.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
This! Nerves at half time were so bad I actually felt queasy.

This is probably about the 4th plus Hereford thread commented on over the years on NSC about this amazing day :albion2:

Must have done about 4 fags alone at half-time, such were the nerves!!

Amazing bundle when Robbie's goal went in, one of the best!

What a day (nearly ruined by potentially an almighty shoeing at the cattle market after the game, but was 'saved' by the arrival of dozens more 'up for it' BHA fans - Das Reich Fairy Cake probably included!)

Just shown the clip to my 8 year old son...different world from the Am Ex era, which luckily all he's ever known......had we lost that day, doesn't bare thinking about where we'd be right now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If anyone is unsure of the magnitude of that day, they only need to look at the fortunes of the two clubs since. Brighton are in the Premier league with a turnover of nearly £150M per season. Hereford went bust and have since reformed and currently sit 15th in National League North.

It's a very interesting comparison, but 14 years previous we'd be in the top flight and taking Manchester United to an FA Final replay, whereas Hereford had spent 19 years in Div4, finishing bottom half more often than not.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Anyone know who the knob was that got Reinelt's boots at the end? He spent ALL bloody game sitting on a fence/wall getting in the way.

He was such a knob, wasn't he?! And if he's reading this (highly unlikely) you were a prick that day

Most undeserving of those boots!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Nothing will ever come close to that season. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Nothing will ever come close to that day, not even the promotions, not even the planning permission for Falmer, nothing will ever come close to that feeling at half time at Hereford. The feeling that we were 45 minutes from losing our club, no ground no league to play in, no money. The only thing we had was fantastic support. The feeling at the end of the game was indescribable, just pure joy......weird thing is how, looking back I feel so sorry for Hereford and their supporter who were just as passionate as ours, we just had more to lose with a history that made us an ex top league club. I didn't care two hoots on the day but now I can appreciate the agony they went through. Someone had to secure league status that day....thank goodness we had the luck, passion, and timing on our side.???:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here