Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 23,661

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder whether anyone has considered making the South Stand an Away/Neutral area and charging 20 pounds a seat? There already is a "Twenty is Plenty" campaign going on among supporters groups for away fans. Got to be better than empty seats I would have thought.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wonder whether anyone has considered making the South Stand an Away/Neutral area and charging 20 pounds a seat? There already is a "Twenty is Plenty" campaign going on among supporters groups. Got to be better than empty seats I would have thought.

Anything is a good idea providing it does not alienate season ticket holders although not so sure an away / neutral area.

Perhaps for 5 games tickets are offered there £20 and £10 concession just to see if there is the interest.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I wonder whether anyone has considered making the South Stand an Away/Neutral area and charging 20 pounds a seat? There already is a "Twenty is Plenty" campaign going on among supporters groups for away fans. Got to be better than empty seats I would have thought.

Millwall seemed quite keen on the idea last season....

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not sure my point from way back in this thread really got picked up, so I'm going to make it again.

23,000 is still amazing, but the difference between these two is pretty startling, I think:

9/11/13 Albion (12th) v Blackburn (9th) - 27,912
7/11/15 Albion (3rd*) v MK Dons (20th) 23,661

(* - where 3rd was actually joint top on points, undefeated and playing for a club record sequence of undefeated league games)

Was it raining last year ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not too sure if anyone has said it, I haven't read the thread - but we have been boring to watch for a few seasons now, that will inevitably put people off. The first half was very good yesterday, brilliant football with plenty of shooting and attacking intent but the Preston game was absolutely dire - if that was anyone's first experience of football and/or the Amex as a stadium, why would they return?

Feb 14, 2010
When we got into the old first division, it was assumed we would get plenty of crowds of over 30,000. We didn't. We didn't even attract our highest average up to that point.

I know and as I'm sure you know (and therefore I cant work out why you raise this), crowds in the 1980s (for reasons I could bore you with) everywhere dipped hugely, to such an extent that Brighton would get 14000 to 25000, Arsenal between 18,000 to 30,000 and Newcastle between 15000 to 25000 and Chelsea could get less than 10,000 for div 2 games. So why raise a pointless statistic? Also list the names in your head, not bad company is it? Then think to yourself, blimey, what if we ever did half a half decent side in the top flight.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
SATURDAY. Due to my Birthday celebrations I was not at the match although my ST's would have been counted. I went to The Burton Albion v Peterboro FA Cup match. Burton are about third in Div 1 but managed only 2500.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
SATURDAY. Due to my Birthday celebrations I was not at the match although my ST's would have been counted. I went to The Burton Albion v Peterboro FA Cup match. Burton are about third in Div 1 but managed only 2500.

Not a great comparison, Burton were playing in the NPL < 15 years ago, they have 20+ clubs within an hour or so, many less than 25 miles away like Derby, Forest, Leicester, Villa, WBA, Brum etc, don't expect them to be getting 20,000 any time soon.

Slight segue, what a fantistically well run club, to be at the top end of League 1, Ben Robinson must be right up there with the likes of Huw Jenkins, Jeremy Pease, Dave Whelan, Coates at Stoke in terms how to run a club.....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not often unless in exceptional circumstances. And we sometimes pay loan fees etc. Loans might not be the right option, but they're certainly not the "cheap" option or indicate as the OP implied a "total lack of investment"

Sorry but it happens ALL the time. Thats why these clubs get these Prem players. and no we haven't paid any fees. What Barber did say is that the parent club may charge a fee if they dont get a certain amount of gametime in response to the Roar question about why Gardner was getting so much gametime last season. A neat answer.

We penny pinched last season AND I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE ****ING SAYS.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry but it happens ALL the time. Thats why these clubs get these Prem players. and no we haven't paid any fees. What Barber did say is that the parent club may charge a fee if they dont get a certain amount of gametime in response to the Roar question about why Gardner was getting so much gametime last season. A neat answer.

We did not penny pinch, we wastefully blew a load of cash on a steaming pile of sh*te

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely the point to pick up as stated was the shocking season last time round which has clearly meant a lot of fans did not renew or those casual ones cannot be bothered.

Indeed. November 2013 was following a season when we'd made the Playoffs, whereas November 2015 followed an absolutely HORRIFIC season of almost non-stop trauma. Then there was the fact it was honking down most of the day. And no trains. So no great surprise to be 4k down on 2 years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a great comparison, Burton were playing in the NPL < 15 years ago, they have 20+ clubs within an hour or so, many less than 25 miles away like Derby, Forest, Leicester, Villa, WBA, Brum etc, don't expect them to be getting 20,000 any time soon.

Slight segue, what a fantistically well run club, to be at the top end of League 1, Ben Robinson must be right up there with the likes of Huw Jenkins, Jeremy Pease, Dave Whelan, Coates at Stoke in terms how to run a club.....

We played Burton Albion in the League Cup, last season. It's a great club and I really enjoyed our visit. If we don't get promoted, I hope they do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Reading have paid an up-front loan fee of £2m to Watford to borrow Vydra for the season. Now he's a player I do rate and I'd love to have him here - but I'm not sure I'd want to see that kind of cash being spent just to BORROW a player for a season (and then on top of that cover his not inconsiderable wages). Of course if he fires them to the PL then it will have been money well spent. But that's quite a hefty gamble IMO.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Ive missed so many games this season due to work, Ive only made about 4 games or so, it's anooying :facepalm: but maybe I should stay away as we keep on winning or drawing haha

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reading have paid an up-front loan fee of £2m to Watford to borrow Vydra for the season. Now he's a player I do rate and I'd love to have him here - but I'm not sure I'd want to see that kind of cash being spent just to BORROW a player for a season (and then on top of that cover his not inconsiderable wages). Of course if he fires them to the PL then it will have been money well spent. But that's quite a hefty gamble IMO.

He's scored ONE goal so far, this season. £2.5 million for a LOAN, who has scored one goal. Can you imagine the binfest on here, had that been us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here