Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 2030 and Electric cars.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Pick ups are a work vehicle. As a Ltd company the cost of the pick up and everything associated with it offsets corp tax, vat etc. All the while with 5 seats for the familly. That is why, it makes financial sense.
It is a strange world where we incentivise such things and a rare day, when you see one with anything loaded in the back.

I have a similar issue with High Street Parking, where we reward people with free parking where they cause the most inconvenience and charge them to park in the car parks, which have been allocated nearby for PARKING CARS. The days of people lugging heavy stuff from the High Street are long gone, I just wish Councils and public opinion would hurry up and catch up.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It is a strange world where we incentivise such things and a rare day, when you see one with anything loaded in the back.

I have a similar issue with High Street Parking, where we reward people with free parking where they cause the most inconvenience and charge them to park in the car parks, which have been allocated nearby for PARKING CARS. The days of people lugging heavy stuff from the High Street are long gone, I just wish Councils and public opinion would hurry up and catch up.
The pick up thing is daft.

Shamefully I did look into/want to follow that route for the financial benefit and for the load carrying on camping trips.

But they are obscene. Worse than even those shitty SUV machines.

Luckily my wife made me come to my senses

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just got a Tesla. A couple of weeks back charged at home overnight, drove to Birmingham, had meeting, plugged into a supercharger, had a coffee, back to car added 60% to the battery in about 25 mins drove home. Cost of the recharge? £12.80 still had about 30% battery when I returned to Brighton. I've had diesel or petrol cars Mercs/BMW my whole life this thing knocks spots off those in almost every way. Cheaper to run, faster, the acceleration takes some getting used to, scary quick , more fun to drive, less tax what's not too like? I got it purely to save the tax but I'm a total convert...,

You just need to treat it like your phone, charge it overnight and even if you travel regularly like I do it saves a fortune and is much much easier. Early days but cannot fault the thing so far...
... and the cost of buying such a car?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
... and the cost of buying such a car?
I've looked at a Tesla Model Y through my work scheme, which lists at £45k but would cost me £323/month for 36 months to hire - including insurance, servicing and maintenance, no upfront payment, including BIK taxes.

I'd be interested if it was large enough for my family, but it ain't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m sorry, but if we based travel policy on “any form of transport on which nobody’s been killed by a twat” then we wouldn’t be cycling, driving, flying, using a boat or even walking.

Cars driven badly, or in drink/drugs, or in anger, are potentially absolutely lethal, but cars also largely enable modern society.

Yes to weeding out the idiots, yes to massive investment in and subsidy of public transport, no to punishing law-abiding drivers when they don’t have a reliable, cheap, safe, alternative. If you’re lucky enough to enjoy cycling and live close enough to work to cycle, I’m happy for you, but don’t assume that’s the case for everyone, and what suits you is a prescription for the world.
Of course it's a premise that goes to the extreme, but the reason for making the analogy is to highlight the absolute gulf in difference between killing someone with a car and killing someone with a gun.

To have 5 previous speeding offences one of which was 90 in a 50, then to kill someone doing in excess of 100mph (on the north circular (ish)) and be allowed to drive in 6 years, goes straight back to my point about our god given right to drive.

Sadly for me I had to leave my cycling commute job for a much better job but too far to cycle.
I now have to drive through Chi at 4pm, staring longingly at the cyclists as they pass.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Of course it's a premise that goes to the extreme, but the reason for making the analogy is to highlight the absolute gulf in difference between killing someone with a car and killing someone with a gun.

To have 5 previous speeding offences one of which was 90 in a 50, then to kill someone doing in excess of 100mph (on the north circular (ish)) and be allowed to drive in 6 years, goes straight back to my point about our god given right to drive.

Sadly for me I had to leave my cycling commute job for a much better job but too far to cycle.
I now have to drive through Chi at 4pm, staring longingly at the cyclists as they pass.

That’s a bit of road where the cyclists do pass the cars at that time of day, you have my sympathy.

I feel we’ve thoroughly derailed this thread, so I’m not going to carry on blithering, but I hope you’re well and that you get to indulge in some cycling in the current good weather.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't have a problem with EV cars - my issue is always with cars and the fact we, in this country, are given very little option but to use them.

7000 miles in my EV since October. No problem. Charge at work 90% of the time.

Pre-Covid, I was doing 25k miles per year by road - the company I work for the office is 65 miles away. Today, I'm doing only a few thousand per year and it's almost all local (school run, grocery run, weekend trips out with the family) and the work commute is 2-3 days a month vs the 4 days a week it was before.

I love working for a company that's made the permanent switch to fully flexible hybrid working. And, on those days I do commute, I can still see that there's fewer vehicles on the M25 during peak than there was pre-covid. So I'm not the only one benefiting from the shift away from fully office-based working.

Need more companies to embrace hybrid working practices, it'll help with the congestion problem (and local city centre pollution).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s a bit of road where the cyclists do pass the cars at that time of day, you have my sympathy.

I feel we’ve thoroughly derailed this thread, so I’m not going to carry on blithering, but I hope you’re well and that you get to indulge in some cycling in the current good weather.
I don't think we've done too badly, by NSC standards, we're still in the same multistorey car park!!

Thank you for the kind words which I reciprocate.
I work 4 days a week, so when I get home tonight I make a conscious effort to not drive until Monday morning, despite no longer being a lycra lout I'm still out and about on my bikes and the train.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It certainly does have a cost issue, but that's only 1 of the several issues. Worth watching this, it's only 7 minutes long and quite entertaining in a factual way.

its goes into more specifics, still boils down to cost. the inefficencies in conversion add to the cost of the fuel. funny they mentioned the extra wind needed, we'll need a lot more to replace gas sourced electricity for EVs too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The pick up thing is daft.

Shamefully I did look into/want to follow that route for the financial benefit and for the load carrying on camping trips.

But they are obscene. Worse than even those shitty SUV machines.

Luckily my wife made me come to my senses
Agreed, ansd well done you're wife.We went to look at an Alfa . . . Briefly considered the SUV. . . .it's huge! But no bigger than a saloon on the inside so many vehicles are just ridiculous now, threy really need taxing heavily. On size and weight, as well as emissions. Especially as they're 90% status symbols.

So many drive by lone/sloan rangers. . . There's a daft bint in our office who lives on the beach . . .max 2 miles away . . .drives a HUGE X5 to work, to make maters worse, weazles through all the back streets in town to try and get home quicker.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Agreed, ansd well done you're wife.We went to look at an Alfa . . . Briefly considered the SUV. . . .it's huge! But no bigger than a saloon on the inside so many vehicles are just ridiculous now, threy really need taxing heavily. On size and weight, as well as emissions. Especially as they're 90% status symbols.
Cars are silly big now but a lot of that is for safety which is fair enough. Estate cars are much more practical than SUVs. I'd love a camper van. Away games would be cool in one.

Garages are rarely used for cars due to being stupidly narrow. Add in the expectation of ownership at age 17 and you have your parking and congestion answer.

For years I have wandered off for a bit of shopping with a rucksack. I know people that make excuses to go out in the motor and drive such silly distances that a blue badge holder would frown at. I ain't no raspberry.

I am more likely to get an emotorbike. Ebikes are brilliant. Now we are into BST, I am trying to ride to work as much as possible 18+ miles is a piece of piss but I'm lucky to have a shower otherwise it would not work. I might have to get an ebike as I get older because my legs fukken hurt with consecutive day commutes. I won't commute in the dark or cold/wet though.

Maybe I like being outside and am claustrophobic. I'm not scared of flying but 4 hours is my tops because it annoys me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most of my long mileage is football awaydays, and I need a decent sized motor for fishing…..…an EV would be way too inconvenient (as well as costing c15k+ more to start with). Last thing I want to do on, say, returning from Nottingham at midnight having already been diverted off the M1 and then twice off the M25 adding over an hour to the trip is stop for another 45 mins+ waiting for the car to pick up enough charge to get me home (assuming I can find a vacant and working charge point).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

So many drive by lone/sloan rangers. . . There's a daft bint in our office who lives on the beach . . .max 2 miles away . . .drives a HUGE X5 to work, to make maters worse, weazles through all the back streets in town to try and get home quicker.
X5s and range rovers are the pits. So many of the sodding things. Ooh I've a child, must get a death machine to protect it....

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Most of my long mileage is football awaydays, and I need a decent sized motor for fishing…..…an EV would be way too inconvenient (as well as costing c15k+ more to start with). Last thing I want to do on, say, returning from Nottingham at midnight having already been diverted off the M1 and then twice off the M25 adding over an hour to the trip is stop for another 45 mins+ waiting for the car to pick up enough charge to get me home (assuming I can find a vacant and working charge point).
I drove to Czech Republic in April. I cant drive longer than a tank lasts in a day so I drive, fill up at a stop over and get going again in the morning. An EV would have stressed me out on that journey. Round town and a 150 mile trip I bet they're great. Didn't see as many in mainland Europe, presumably due to the distances people travel.

Dont know if it's factual but my garage were telling me everyone in an EV was moaning like made when the temp dropped as their range did too, dramatically. Anyone with an EV experience this?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I drove to Czech Republic in April. I cant drive longer than a tank lasts in a day so I drive, fill up at a stop over and get going again in the morning. An EV would have stressed me out on that journey. Round town and a 150 mile trip I bet they're great. Didn't see as many in mainland Europe, presumably due to the distances people travel.

Dont know if it's factual but my garage were telling me everyone in an EV was moaning like made when the temp dropped as their range did too, dramatically. Anyone with an EV experience this?
My mate has a Tesla 3, reckoned it was doing about 30% less per charge in the very cold weather.

Mrs D does about 1000 miles a year max pootling to town and back and stuff in an old Hyundai…..would love to get us a small EV to replace that but can’t justify spending upwards of 30k on something that will do a couple of thousand miles a year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here