Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 2023 Ski Holidays

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have a season pass at Whistler, get up there most weekends. Sometimes i'll take a Monday/Friday off and work a weekend day so i can avoid the massive lines.

Heading to Mt Baker for some snowboarding at the end of the month, and there's 3 ski resorts on the North Shore of Vancouver (Cypress / Grouse / Seymour)

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Absolutely loved skiing at Mammoth Mountain, incredible resort 👍, what are the conditions at Big Bear?
Good, very good considering how low the altitude is, only 7,000 feet. We use Snow Summit (the mountain next door to BB) as it is a little less crowded, and the best part is how close it is for day trips. Have even managed to drive up first thing, ride all morning, drive home and surf late afternoon...a very bizzare but cool experience being in Snow gear and a wetsuit the same day.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Good, very good considering how low the altitude is, only 7,000 feet. We use Snow Summit (the mountain next door to BB) as it is a little less crowded, and the best part is how close it is for day trips. Have even managed to drive up first thing, ride all morning, drive home and surf late afternoon...a very bizzare but cool experience being in Snow gear and a wetsuit the same day.
Quite literally the Californian Dream, I use to visit relatives in San Juan Capistrano twice a year, visited Lake Naciemento many times too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ski de fond mid-Feb, the stuff that doesn't trash the mountains

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I live in Austria. Skiing in Kitzbuhel, Saalbach and SkiWelt is 100 times better than the scare stories in the papers. It's snowing now and due to snow more over the next week, with temperatures between zero and minus 5. Pistes are very quiet - no lift queues.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Off to Pas de la Casa in Andorra on Sunday. Been to Italy past couple of times but prices went crazy so back to reliable Andorra for a week. Different end to the range from previous visits and a bit of snow past couple of days. Should be good.
Love Pas, been twice, one occasion so much snow they closed the main chair from town, this was way back in the 90’s iirc they have expanded the lift system more recently

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’re off to Europe’s highest resort Val Thorens. A bit of a planes, trains and automobiles, taking TGV from Paris to Moûtiers. Excited.

Incredibly lucky with the weather forecast. The Alps has on and off for three months experienced record breaking temperatures up to 20c, even in VT. Winter arrives this weekend!

9B8987AE-B407-4E16-AC7E-F6B350B1C6D5.png

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
I see many Westerners (from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada and Europe) at Japanese ski resorts recently. British ski fans know Japan has a lot of snowy mountains?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see many Westerners (from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada and Europe) at Japanese ski resorts recently. British ski fans know Japan has a lot of snowy mountains?

Most do I think, Hokkaido and parts of Honshu get mega amounts of snow. Plus the publicity from holding great winter olympics in 72 and 98 (Hermann Maier!). It was an expensive niche trip, but post pandemic folk seem to be making a once in a lifetime trip to experience the deep powder.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Most do I think, Hokkaido and parts of Honshu get mega amounts of snow. Plus the publicity from holding great winter olympics in 72 and 98 (Hermann Maier!). It was an expensive niche trip, but post pandemic folk seem to be making a once in a lifetime trip to experience the deep powder.

Good to hear. My family have a small ski related business, and I see rapidly increasing number of tourists from abroad at Japanese ski resorts, which makes my English better than average Japanese people. In 2005, there were Australian already at Japanese ski resorts, but since 2013, quite many people from North America and Europe started flying all the way to Japan for experiencing Japow. COVID-19 gave us hard time, but they've finally coming back to Japan for skiing this year ;) (y) .

It was funny. I mean, Canadian tourists told me "We have Whistler, and I didn't know Japan have a lot of snowy ski resorts, so I didn't think I would fly to Japan for skiing, but I've come to Japan for skiing in three consecutive ski seasons now". Even Japanese people tend to think "Mountains in Canada and Europe must be more snowy" because the mountains are taller and the latitudes are higher in North America and European Alps. Colder doesn't always mean more snowy. Warm seawater evaporate more to make thicker clouds, and very cold winds from Siberia carry the thicker clouds to Japanese mountains. The snow clouds hit the mountains to make super heavy snowfall there. Nearly 70% of Japanese land = mountains, so Japan has a lot of very snowy mountains.
Screen-Shot-2016-01-07-at-4.49.06-PM.png

Last edited:

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Went to Montgenevre in France ( right on Italian border) in Jan. First time skiing for 15 years, turns out it is like riding a bike.....you never forget how to do it.
Long break was due to child growing up, she's 17 now and it was her first skiing experience and absolutely loved it.
Enjoying the stories of US resorts having done a few ourselves. Anyone on here been to Jackson Hole Wyoming?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here