Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2023-24 Loanee Tracker Thread

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I said it last season and I will say it again at nearly halfway through this season, it seems the majority of our loanees at lower league clubs haven’t really developed how we would have hoped, except maybe our keepers.
Obviously the exception is Moran at Blackburn, he has kicked on and developed massively and has been a huge success, is it any coincidence that last seasons top loanee, Van Hecke, was also at Blackburn ?
Can we send anyone else there on loan in January or do FA rules only permit one loanee from each club ?
Sarmiento should be setting the Championship on fire, but West Brom don’t seem to be playing him regularly- seems a wasted loan - bizarre- the club must be frustrated by this.
Ayari at Coventry is another one, on the bench, never a starter.
Sarmiento and Ayari should be getting primed and developed for our first team next season, unlike Leonard, Turns, Weir who are probably being developed for us to sell on.
Thoughts ??

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I said it last season and I will say it again at nearly halfway through this season, it seems the majority of our loanees at lower league clubs haven’t really developed how we would have hoped, except maybe our keepers.
Obviously the exception is Moran at Blackburn, he has kicked on and developed massively and has been a huge success, is it any coincidence that last seasons top loanee, Van Hecke, was also at Blackburn ?
Can we send anyone else there on loan in January or do FA rules only permit one loanee from each club ?
Sarmiento should be setting the Championship on fire, but West Brom don’t seem to be playing him regularly- seems a wasted loan - bizarre- the club must be frustrated by this.
Sarmiento and Ayari should be getting primed and developed for our first team next season, unlike Leonard, Turns, Weir who are probably being developed for us to sell on.
Thoughts ??

When roles were reversed and we had players like Gavin Hoyte thrown on us and seemingly made to play every game we didn’t like it. My view is they need to fight for a place like any player - Cov fans have been critical of Ayari lack of defensive work as an example.

And I think if we start recalling loans etc it probably won’t do us many favours in the future - but I’m sure we may see a couple recalled and go back out

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last season we had 22 youngsters out on loan. Nearly all of them got good game time, and at the end of the season 12 of them signed fulltime contracts with other clubs. Probably little or no financial benefit to the Albion, but good for the reputation of the development system. Of the rest, one is doing great for the Albion (Adingra), one is pulling up trees (or at least scoring goals) for Rangers. Alzate has been playing well in Belgium. A few million in the coffers for those two, in all probability.
Alzate is on top of his game in Belgium. The exception is Moran at Blackburn, he has kicked on and developed massively and has been a huge success, is it any coincidence that last seasons top loanee, Van Hecke, was also at Blackburn ?
Moran has only been at Blackburn for six months; JPVH wasn't there at all last season.
Yes, we can.
Agreed.
Thoughts ??
Leonard is pulling up trees for Northampton. Turns was instrumental in getting Orient promoted, as was Leonard with Northampton; Northampton have moved on, developing themselves and Leonard in the higher division. Orient have decided to largely do without Turns: they don't deserve to keep him for another half season - he can do better. Certainly he will get a contract somewhere come the summer (and he is a left footed, left sided CB - so who knows?)
Weir's loan is an absolute disaster, the manager doesn't want him; bring him home, and lend him to a decent club. Leonard has a decent future ahead of him, at least at Championship level.

Yes, this season's loanees have probably been less successful than last season's trenche, but still quite interesting to follow. Some may finish up League1 or League2 - which ain't an awful result. Rushworth, Beadle, Leonard, Moran and Kozlowski still potentially destined for higher things.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Last season we had 22 youngsters out on loan. Nearly all of them got good game time, and at the end of the season 12 of them signed fulltime contracts with other clubs. Probably little or no financial benefit to the Albion, but good for the reputation of the development system. Of the rest, one is doing great for the Albion (Adingra), one is pulling up trees (or at least scoring goals) for Rangers. Alzate has been playing well in Belgium. A few million in the coffers for those two, in all probability.

Moran has only been at Blackburn for six months; JPVH wasn't there at all last season.

Yes, we can.

Agreed.

Leonard is pulling up trees for Northampton. Turns was instrumental in getting Orient promoted, as was Leonard with Northampton; Northampton have moved on, developing themselves and Leonard in the higher division. Orient have decided to largely do without Turns: they don't deserve to keep him for another half season - he can do better. Certainly he will get a contract somewhere come the summer (and he is a left footed, left sided CB - so who knows?)
Weir's gone out for a first loan; absolute disaster, the manager doesn't want him; bring him home, and lend him to a decent club. Leonard has a decent future ahead of him, at least at Championship level.

Yes, this season's loanees have probably been less successful than last season's trenche, but still quite interesting to follow. Some may finish up League1 or League2 - which ain't an awful result. Rushworth, Beadle, Leonard, Moran and Kozlowski still potentially destined for higher things.

Great summary, always look forward to your contributions on this thread 👍

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
As you rightly state both Leonard and ourselves have improved again this season..another great performance and two more assists from him tonight. He’s only been outshone by the midfields of Portsmouth and (embarrassingly) Stevenage. I’d suggest he’d be more than capable in the Championship.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022

Yes, we can.

Agreed.

Weir's gone out for a first loan; absolute disaster, the manager doesn't want him; bring him home, and lend him to a decent club. Leonard has a decent future ahead of him, at least at Championship level.

Weir had a previous successful loan so not his first.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Weir had a previous successful loan so not his first.
My apologies - I don't know what I was thinking. Probably about my next can of Hobgoblin!

You are, of course, quite right - he did half a season at Cambridge before being sidelined with injury, then had a magnificent season with Morecambe; scoring 10 goals in 44 matches from midfield in a side fighting relegation was exceptional. If anything, perhaps he should have been tried at a higher level than League1 Blackpool. Whatever, I really hope we are telling Blackpool to sling their hook and bringing Weir back to arrange a better second half to the season for him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
he should at least get a good welcome at his uncle's old stomping ground!

Odel would actually be the first Offiah to play for a Wigan team at the DW Stadium. His uncle Martin left Wigan Warriors 3 years before the stadium opened and would have only played at what was then the JJB stadium as an opposition player for Salford City Reds at the end of his career.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Odel would actually be the first Offiah to play for a Wigan team at the DW Stadium. His uncle Martin left Wigan Warriors 3 years before the stadium opened and would have only played at what was then the JJB stadium as an opposition player for Salford City Reds at the end of his career.
'Old stomping ground' - as in Wigan, town in Lancashire!

On other matters, Sarmiento recalled from WBA - OP amended accordingly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On the Championship, Carl Rushworth kept a clean sheet as Swansea beat newly Sarmiento-less WBA 1-0. Blackburn subbed Moran after an hour, and sadly Ayari is still at Coventry, perfecting his bench-warming technique.
In League1, wins for both Leonard and Beadle. Turns on the bench, having difficulty getting a game these days. No sign of Weir on the Blackpool bench - hopefully that means he's on a Megabus somewhere on his way back to Brighton!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Thoughts ??
Leonard is northamptons best player and rumours champ clubs want him on loan in jan. He isn’t so young though (22) so probably right on a potential sale in the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_3783.png
    IMG_3783.png
    611.7 KB · Views: 37

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jeremy Sarmiento.
The rumours were spot on - it's now official - off to Ipswich for the rest of the season.

Abdallah Sima
Scored again for Rangers last night - that's 16 (I think) for the season now, including one in the CL. See last night's effort at about 1.30 into the highlights in this Sky Sports report.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Jeremy Sarmiento.
The rumours were spot on - it's now official - off to Ipswich for the rest of the season.

Abdallah Sima
Scored again for Rangers last night - that's 16 (I think) for the season now, including one in the CL. See last night's effort at about 1.30 into the highlights in this Sky Sports report.
That's a very good goal. From the little I know of him, he's an instinctive finisher, and that one certainly fits in that category. Still can't work out what part of his body constitutes the first touch. I can work out that that's not very good defending.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
That's a very good goal. From the little I know of him, he's an instinctive finisher, and that one certainly fits in that category. Still can't work out what part of his body constitutes the first touch. I can work out that that's not very good defending.
If the internet is to be believed, we are ready to sell him. Surely there is a case for bringing him back to see if he can make the step up?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some Wigan fans seem to think they're after Weir to return to them on loan. Haven't heard anything about it from this end - anybody?

The Offiah to Wigan rumours have gone a bit quiet too - are they allowed two loanees from the same club?

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Some Wigan fans seem to think they're after Weir to return to them on loan. Haven't heard anything about it from this end - anybody?

The Offiah to Wigan rumours have gone a bit quiet too - are they allowed two loanees from the same club?
Championship clubs are allowed more than 1 loanee from the same club or Blackburn have just broken the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here