Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2022/2023 Relegation Thread - October's views & votes

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In terms of centre backs, Wolves didn't just let Coady go this summer. Saiss and Boly both left at the end of their contracts, and they sold Dendoncker to Villa (another direct rival), and let Hoever go out on loan.

That's FIVE centre back options out of the club, and so far as I can think, only (the excellent signing of) Nathan Collins coming in.

That is absolutely desperate recruitment. Either Lage was responsible for it, and deserved to go, or it was done outside of his control, and he has been tucked up.

They had to resort to Neves at CB this weekend gone, and even he picked up a fifth yellow, so along with Collins, sits out against Chelsea on Saturday. Potter will be rubbing his hands.

Quite a big part of me hopes Wolves go down. They were a dull and dreary team last season, and took play-acting and feigning injury to new levels. The whole experiment of letting an agent deal with their recruitment is ridiculous and the Portuguese thing wouldn't work unless Wolverhampton was twinned with Lisbon (I understand that Carvalhal is lined up to fail at Molineux next).

But Forest look feeble, and I think/hope that the relentlessly boring Southampton will finally run out of steam. Plucky little Bournemouth? That may depend on how the takeover pans out. .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Watched the game last night. Forest were dreadful. Looked a mile off the pace. They are toast and Cooper will go.

If they get someone like Dyche then they may have a chance but I'm not even sure that team they have right now would do anything in the championship.

If we were playing that Forest last night then we would of taken them to the cleaners

Leicester were not that good but strolled to a 4-0

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In terms of centre backs, Wolves didn't just let Coady go this summer. Saiss and Boly both left at the end of their contracts, and they sold Dendoncker to Villa (another direct rival), and let Hoever go out on loan.

That's FIVE centre back options out of the club, and so far as I can think, only (the excellent signing of) Nathan Collins coming in.

That is absolutely desperate recruitment. Either Lage was responsible for it, and deserved to go, or it was done outside of his control, and he has been tucked up.

They had to resort to Neves at CB this weekend gone, and even he picked up a fifth yellow, so along with Collins, sits out against Chelsea on Saturday. Potter will be rubbing his hands.

Really difficult to know what happens behind the scenes in Wolves.

Their owners are in gigantic financial troubles, so they can't spend money really - but they also need to stay up (or they cant sell the club at full value once there is a buyer) and saw the lack of goals so they bought a few attacking players. The plan now is to have "just enough" quality/depth to stay up.

I can imagine Bruno doing some negotiation saying "ok I want to play a back four so you can ship three or four defenders and bring me maybe a midfielder and an attacking player?"

Ok, so they did, they bought Nunes and Guedes, refreshing the squad a little while also paying some money to Mendes so that he doesn't get angry and destroy the club.

Then Raul Jimenez has problems in the pre-season, Wolves aren't scoring many goals and Bruno once again puts the hat in his hand knocks on Jeff Shis office.

"Uhm... I think we need another striker".

Jeff Shi at that point might have had to explain that he was representing a company with £33bn in debts and if they're signing another striker, something else will have to go. Maybe selling two well-paid established players (like Boly and Dendoncker) and bring in two cheaper player: Kaladzjic and one of the many CBs they were reportedly chasing during the deadline day. They didnt find one however and Lage talked about maybe getting one on a free transfer.

Kilman and Collins are fit, but Sasa breaks down immediately and it doesn't go a day without Lage telling the media that they need a new striker or everyone is going to die. Knocks on Jeff Shis room, Jeff nods slowly and approves the signing of the very washed up Diego Costa.

Collins then get a red card or something and Bruno goes to the media, saying they need to sign a central defender and at that point I think Fosun/Jeff Shi are well aware that they've bought Hwang, got Traore back from his loan deal, bought Guedes, bought Kaladzjic, signed Costa and they're still not scoring any goals and now Lage wants to find some reject central defender to improve his goalless pointless team... and that just meant the axe.

Forest, Leicester & Wolves in trouble? C5ADF47A-7200-486C-B58E-A843BBEECA3D.jpeg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Wolves have enough - once Lopetagui comes in they’ll come good. I’m looking at that bottom two plus Southampton or Villa.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
We (Fulham) have big holes in our squad once 1 or 2 players get injured largelly because our Director of Football is the owner's son who self admittedly does our transfers while backstage from one of his other two jobs as boss of some tinpot American wrestling network. So tomorrow (today) we'll probably lose to Wet Spam and we'll get sucked into the relegation dogfight .

However, thanks to NSC, I'll have had a few beers in decent bars beforehand and the pain will be numbed a bit.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Looking at the FiveThirtyEight forecast - wouldn't that equal Palace's best ever finish in the PL? I seem remember they limped into the top half of the table in 14-15, can't recall a higher position for them. Heady days for them up the road.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be honest....I'm still looking at who might qualify for Europe. We are still in it. Call me a dreamer.....but (I suspect) I'm not the only one. Imagine that???. :shrug:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I’ll change my 1st October prediction from Forest, Villa and Palace to Forest, Villa and Leeds. Please, although obviously I don’t really mind so long as we don’t slip that far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here