2004 Sussex CCC First Squad finally announced...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
C J Adams (c)
R J Kirtley (v-c)
M Ahmed
M Akram
T R Ambrose
P A Cottey
M J G Davis
M W Goodwin
C D Hopkinson
K J Innes
J D Lewry
R S C Martin-Jenkins
R R Montgomerie
M J Prior
J A Voros
I J Ward
L J Wright
M H Yardy

Fancy betting against that? Come on, Surrey & Lancashire, who wants some?:salute:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is a very strong squad - back to back Championships ?

Where have I heard that before ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I bloody LOVE that.

Full of runs AND wickets.

Akram, Ahmed, Kirtley, Lewry and RMJ? Is there a better bowling line up in the league? I think not.

Goodwin, Ward, Adams, Lord Monty as a top four with Ambrose and Prior both quickly improving on their already vast batting talents with RMJ still to come in. Is there any end to the batting order?

Bring it on Surrey and Yorkshire, you haven't got a hope in hell.

:salute:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've just wet myself looking at that, bloody gorgeous line up...BRING IT ON!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is this the strongest Sussex line-up of all-time?

The Famous Grouse

Dec 9, 2003
Lets hope this year Kirtley can get into all the England teams and not be bothered by his action again...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Famous Grouse said:
Lets hope this year Kirtley can get into all the England teams and not be bothered by his action again...
I'd prefer it if he bowled well enough to get into the England team but didn't get picked very often, thus leaving him available to play for us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pavilionaire said:
Is this the strongest Sussex line-up of all-time?

Well, the side that had Ranji and CB Fry in it will take some beating.

And the team in the 30s that finished runner-up three times was pretty strong - that had Tate and Gilligan bowling and Duleep and John Langridge batting with James Langridge as an all-rounder. Amazingly good team.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
Surely last years team was the stongest of all time as it was the first Sussex team to win a championship. That's the only way to judge them. It should be a fantastic battle with Surrey and Lancashire in particular.

Kent will probably claim that they are better than us even though will will thrash them easily again this season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Percy Tantrums said:
Surely last years team was the stongest of all time as it was the first Sussex team to win a championship. That's the only way to judge them. It should be a fantastic battle with Surrey and Lancashire in particular.

Kent will probably claim that they are better than us even though will will thrash them easily again this season.

Not comparing like with like. Sussex in the 30s didn't have that many England players (like now) but other counties' test players wouldn't be absent the whole season as they are now.

I wonder if we'd have finished ahead of Surrey if they'd played Butcher and Stewart throughout, or Lancashire if they'd had Anderson and Flintoff for the whole season.

Sussex also finished runners-up three years running, showing that their good performance wasn't a flash in the pan. If we win or come to close to winning this season, then it might just be our best team.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
Well made points Gwylan. But of course comparing teams across the generations is pure speculation. The only thing that is definate is that last years team was the first to win a championship. If we can win another trophy this year we'll be talking of a golden age of Sussex cricket.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I bloody LOVE that.

Full of runs AND wickets.

Akram, Ahmed, Kirtley, Lewry and RMJ? Is there a better bowling line up in the league? I think not.

Goodwin, Ward, Adams, Lord Monty as a top four with Ambrose and Prior both quickly improving on their already vast batting talents with RMJ still to come in. Is there any end to the batting order?

Bring it on Surrey and Yorkshire, you haven't got a hope in hell.

:salute:

I think you'll find the Tykes are a division two outfit, assuming that you were talking County Chapionship.:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Percy Tantrums said:
Well made points Gwylan. But of course comparing teams across the generations is pure speculation. The only thing that is definate is that last years team was the first to win a championship. If we can win another trophy this year we'll be talking of a golden age of Sussex cricket.

Wouldn't mind seeing us pocket the odd one day trophy as well.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
is that wasim akram? and how come we seem to be allowed 3 overseas players? or is wasim now counted as "english"?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
QUALITY,not sure why i said wasim akram...he'd be about 37 wouldnt he?
any idea why he has an english passport?:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports