Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] 2001 a Space Odyssey

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2001 a Space Odyssey

Explain the end

What is your take on the last 30 minutes ?

Really incredible film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave was part of the monalith at the end and in the room he was changed into the child and rebirth and over seeing the world and universe

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Universe is within us and we are within the universe. Everything is connected and happening all at once, being experienced by different consciousness's at different times. Was my theory of what it was all about. Only managed to get through it in full once, so I may be talking shite!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In a 1980 interview that remained obscure until being rediscovered in 2018, Kubrick explained the intent of the film's ending.

God-like beings of "pure energy and intelligence" place the astronaut in a human zoo, where he passes his entire life with "no sense of time".

After they eventually finish with him, he is "transformed into some kind of super being and sent back to Earth, transformed and made into some sort of superman... It is the pattern of a great deal of mythology, and that is what we were trying to suggest."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_2001:_A_Space_Odyssey#:~:text=In%20a%201980%20interview%20that,%22no%20sense%20of%20time%22.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you need to read the book to better comprehend the film. One of my favourite films. The beginning is awesome. I cannot explain the end though.

I think it was comparing 2001 to Star Wars as a Sci Fi film, at the time, that made me dismiss Star Wars as “goodies” and “baddies” simplistic shit and I have never watched beyond the first one :shrug:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think you need to read the book to better comprehend the film. One of my favourite films. The beginning is awesome. I cannot explain the end though.

I think it was comparing 2001 to Star Wars as a Sci Fi film, at the time, that made me dismiss Star Wars as “goodies” and “baddies” simplistic shit and I have never watched beyond the first one :shrug:

Read the book - well it is a Short Story actually - and I can't bear the Star Wars Franchise either - Cowboys and Indians in Space.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
At the start you watch the bone go up cutting to a satellite descending, suggest you watch Powell & Pressburger's magnificent A Canterbury Tale to see how this was appropriated by Kubrick...

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
HAL was inspired by IBM but using the previous letters.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw the film last night at the Royal Festival Hall with a live orchestra. and choir a memorable experience.

The last 30 minutes, is it just a nudge to get the viewer to consider man's relationship with the universe.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think it was Kubrick's attention to detail that makes it such a good film which stands the test of time.

Apparently people walked out before the end in some cinemas saying what the f*** was that all about?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it was Kubrick's attention to detail that makes it such a good film which stands the test of time.

Apparently people walked out before the end in some cinemas saying what the f*** was that all about?

If you were stoned you wouldn’t dream of walking out :lolol:

I was reminded of the end when I had a cataract operation!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you were stoned you wouldn’t dream of walking out :lolol:

I was reminded of the end when I had a cataract operation!

Apparently it was all the stoners who turned up hammered to watch the Stargate sequence that helped 2001 weather a dodgy box office start !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here