Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£2000 for old cars

Booley

Dec 23, 2004
East Acton
Anyone know of this government scheme and when it may come in?
I've got a old corsa and I'm looking at getting a new car so would be awesome to get £2000 for it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
whats this? not heard of this scheme but those tax robbing bastards can take £2k for my Corolla anyday of the week!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Sounds like a complete hair brained idea.

I think it's to make us all buy new eco friendly cars, when in fact that the manufacturing process actually chucks out more crap than the car will during most of it's lifetime.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
gov will taken to the cleaner with people buy old bangers on ebay, get car then sell that on :rolleyes:

Booley

Dec 23, 2004
East Acton
But you have to buy a new car! So you may get 2000 quid but that goes to the price of a new one. Idea to get the market moving and get old cars off the road.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
is it not cash in the hand? i recall that being taled about a while ago. if its just 2k off the price off a car, many dealers will already give you such deals. either way, doesnt help an awfull lot for those that cant get credit for a car purchase. The Government needs to start telling the banks they majority own to lend. (it goes againt my believes, but now the gov own them, they have to get on with it, rather than fany around)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? Banks lending money to people who can't afford to pay it back?

indeed. but the entire economy depends on credit now, so going from lend to all comers to no lending is not going to help. its needs to be more measured than that. perfectly good, profitable businesses are closing because the banks are withdrawing credit facilities, people who have good credit ratings cant get a few grand loan. Government has backed all the bad debt liabilities the banks have, but in order to rebulid their balancesheets and profitablity, they've retreated into a corner with no more money going out, making the bailouts pointless. we'd be better off if RBS had gone to the wall, its debt written of and the bail out money spent on either tax cuts or targeted spending.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/10/car-scrappage-payments

Just in case anyone thinks this would be a good idea - read this.

one of the comment sums up the problem for the car industry really well - we dont actually need many new cars. i have a 1995 Golf GTI, its super luxury, literally a shopping trolley and a few trips around the country. like a very large proportion or urban cars. streets round here (south london commuter land) are full of <5 year old cars that barely move all week, its nice thing to have a new motor, show off your affluence. but thos cars are going to last 20 years as decent working vehicles, people simply arent going to buy such luxury in this climate, and those that have to by a new car will have to do so any way.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sounds like a complete hair brained idea.

I think it's to make us all buy new eco friendly cars, when in fact that the manufacturing process actually chucks out more crap than the car will during most of it's lifetime.

Cock on! The energy, and hence carbon emissons, from manufacture of a car will never be met by the car during its operative life. No car can complete the mileage required to emit the carbon that it's manufacture requires.

The Government eco focus is driven by lobbying from big business. It's the same with the drive for local renewable energy schemes using wind turbines and ground source heat pumps, PV cells etc to achieve planning - utter waste of time and energy. The carbon footprint of a PV cell is higher than the lifetime energy provided by it.

And relax!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here