Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] 200 mph on Sussex road

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
OK, 200mph is way OTT - quite rightly too - but, leaving aside any virtue signalling on the lines of 'I've never exceeded a speed limit in my life and I detest and condemn anyone who ever has' (aka liars)......how many NSCers, on buying anew car (or new to them anyway) have gone out and sought an empty, safe piece of road to see how fast it would go?

Honest yes or no answers (not to be used in evidenced............................)

From my first car (a Renault 750 - 750cc with one cylinder defunct - that I cranked up to 50mph) to most of the rest I've usually tried it. At a quiet time on a dual carriageway with no traffic around - and no, I've certainly never had anything remotely capable of 200mph (and wouldn't have tried it anyway) but a 12 year old 998cc Nissan Micra with 120K on the dial did actually manage the ton once.

So, totally honesty here - who has and who has not, bought a car and then taken it out somewhere safe to see 'what it would do'?

I used to have a TVR Griffith. the day I bought it I 'tested it' on the journey back on the anti clockwise around the M25. The road cleared, the sun was out and it was a sign to give it some welly.

I got up to 120 before realising I would die going any faster. the TVRs are all raw power but no airbags, ABS etc.

after that I never really pushed it, the engine note at 20-30mph was as impressive as 60-70mph so why bother - also it got too much attention as it was hardly a wallflower.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I used to have a TVR Griffith. the day I bought it I 'tested it' on the journey back on the anti clockwise around the M25. The road cleared, the sun was out and it was a sign to give it some welly.

I got up to 120 before realising I would die going any faster. the TVRs are all raw power but no airbags, ABS etc.

after that I never really pushed it, the engine note at 20-30mph was as impressive as 60-70mph so why bother - also it got too much attention as it was hardly a wallflower.

Anything above 80mph would have had bits falling off!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Playing devil's advocate, how can they arrest anyone when they have no proof (in that video at least) of who was driving? Let alone 2 people?

I guess they must have clear evidence or even confession and it seems the car wasn't even the driver's.

Once found, a bunch of circumstantial evidence all pointing in the same direction is sufficient in criminal law. Who’s insured to drive it, who uploaded the video, cctv showing him/her as the driver nearby at the time, mobile phone records. “No comment” can be interpreted as not wanting to clear their name.

If he/she chooses to lie in interview at all and/or they’ve taken steps since to hide the truth, prison and a criminal record awaits for perverting the course of justice. This seems fairly common with driving offences, something minor turns into a life prospects changed.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
40 years old. Expected a yoof.

And nicked it.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's also a matter of 'when' as well, isn't it. Apart from a few idiots like the 200mph pr@t currently being prosecuted, people are generally driving much slower than they used to - after all, when the motorways were first introduced there was no speed limit on them. I can remember one evening, probably in the mid 90s, driving eastwards along the M27 towards Portsmouth - I was cruising along at 85mph in the left hand lane without overtaking anything for miles, while both the other lanes were full of vehicles whizzing past. Wouldn't happen these days.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I like the quote "Police believe it was taken somewhere in Sussex. There's clearly blue motorway signs, so that narrows it down to about 6 miles of road doesn't it?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Two speed tests.
Brand new Citroen AX in 1989. On the motorway home I overtook a Porsche. I was on the back of a low loader!
In 2004 opened up my Vauxhall Astra Convertible on the M6 toll. Touched 100 before the Wife told me to slow down. She was hanging off the back at the time!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
In my yoof, driving back from the Stuart Munday/Jimmy Case "wot" Leicester game I drove down that stretch, at speed, refusing to turn the steering wheel, unless I really had too.

Happy dayz.

Great night out that was. Munday's goal was amazing.

We went the wrong way around the M25 and then somehow ended up in Croydon before eventually heading back to the Motherland.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

My uncle used to have a TVR Tuscan, absolute beast of a machine. He took me out in it to show me what it could do, going from Brighton to Worthing, we came out of the Southwick tunnel and around that long sweeping bend at 160mph, the car didn't even twitch, it was so planted.
I was young at the time, early 20's, so I just had a grin on my face, but looking back, same as what you said, nothing would've protected us if anything had gone wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here