Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2 points off a possible Champions League place

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Hoping we go out and hammer Burnley and get the goal difference up a bit. Can see Spurs and Newcastle dropping off a bit judging by their recent form and think it's likely to come down to the wire in the final couple of games for top 6 or 7 places.

We are definitely due to dish out a good, old fashioned hiding to someone.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Although as things stand 5th is the final European place which we are 2 points off.

One of these years a team outside the top 8 is going to win one or both of the cups.

Indeed in the league cup only 1 of the top 6 is still in it, Liverpool playing West Ham in the quarters, and the only other team that will trouble the European spots this season, Newcastle, have a very tricky away tie at Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if the Conference League place this year comes from outside the top 8.

Last edited:

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Looking at it from another angle, I wonder if we're already safe from relegation this season. Historical precedent suggests that more points will be needed and I'd assume that the bottom three will improve their run rate a bit as the season wears on... but will they?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agent Giraffe on the Bumley payroll.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Looking at it from another angle, I wonder if we're already safe from relegation this season. Historical precedent suggests that more points will be needed and I'd assume that the bottom three will improve their run rate a bit as the season wears on... but will they?
First season in PL where that was jot a worry to me. Weird times

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Burnley have just lost the brilliant Koleosho for some considerable time,a knee injury I believe so I'm hoping they won't just park the bus on Saturday,if they do then we're doomed and the thread starter will be forever blamed for Hexing our season with delusions of grandeur,burn the witch down with everything.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Burnley have just lost the brilliant Koleosho for some considerable time,a knee injury I believe so I'm hoping they won't just park the bus on Saturday,if they do then we're doomed and the thread starter will be forever blamed for Hexing our season with delusions of grandeur,burn the witch down with everything.
Has Kompany learnt how to park the bus yet?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Hoping we go out and hammer Burnley and get the goal difference up a bit. Can see Spurs and Newcastle dropping off a bit judging by their recent form and think it's likely to come down to the wire in the final couple of games for top 6 or 7 places.

We are definitely due to dish out a good, old fashioned hiding to someone.
I keep hearing that Newcastle have the longest injury list in the Prem. Apparently, Spurs also have a lot of injuries. Both may kick on again once their injured players start returning, or they may not?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
confused, we're 5 points behind Man City in 4th (and they have +19 GD). has something changed on CL qualification?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I keep hearing that Newcastle have the longest injury list in the Prem. Apparently, Spurs also have a lot of injuries. Both may kick on again once their injured players start returning, or they may not?
Villa seem to have very few injuries, which may explain their current form. They seem to have avoided the “knackered” mantra too. City have very few considering the players available to them so their loss of form is a bit baffling to me.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
confused, we're 5 points behind Man City in 4th (and they have +19 GD). has something changed on CL qualification?
There is a possibility that the Premier League get a 5th spot in the Champions League this season. The two associations with the highest UEFA Co-Efficient for 23-24 season will get an extra CL spot. England currently sit in 4th place, behind Germany, Spain and Italy.

We need Man Utd and Newcastle to at least get third in their CL groups or the chances of getting into the top 2 becomes harder. Newcastle advancing also hurts Italy as it means Milan won't. We could also do with Sevilla and Union Berlin both finishing last in the Champions League groups as well.

In the Europa League and Conference League group stage it looks like the representatives of all 4 nations mentioned above are going to advance. However Spain have already lost Osasuna who failed to qualify for the group stage of the Conference League so they've got one club not contributing any points but still effecting their co-efficient for the season.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm confused too

That aside we're in a great place. Burnley isn't going to be easy bad memories of the last time they came down and before that memories of Joey Barton!!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
There is a possibility that the Premier League get a 5th spot in the Champions League this season. The two associations with the highest UEFA Co-Efficient for 23-24 season will get an extra CL spot. England currently sit in 4th place, behind Germany, Spain and Italy.

We need Man Utd and Newcastle to at least get third in their CL groups or the chances of getting into the top 2 becomes harder. Newcastle advancing also hurts Italy as it means Milan won't. We could also do with Sevilla and Union Berlin both finishing last in the Champions League groups as well.

In the Europa League and Conference League group stage it looks like the representatives of all 4 nations mentioned above are going to advance. However Spain have already lost Osasuna who failed to qualify for the group stage of the Conference League so they've got one club not contributing any points but still effecting their co-efficient for the season.

I suspect by the time Man City play Arsenal in the Champions League Final, and we play Liverpool in the Europa Final (having beaten Man U in the semi), that will be enough points for the coefficient to give the 5th place to English clubs, even without Villa winning the Mickey Mouse Euro Disney Cup.

And of course, beating Liverpool in the final will give us an automatic place anyway, meaning 6 English sides in the Champions League next year.

....I will wake up from my dream soon....

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I suspect by the time Man City play Arsenal in the Champions League Final, and we play Liverpool in the Europa Final (having beaten Man U in the semi), that will be enough points for the coefficient to give the 5th place to English clubs, even without Villa winning the Mickey Mouse Euro Disney Cup.

And of course, beating Liverpool in the final will give us an automatic place anyway, meaning 6 English sides in the Champions League next year.

....I will wake up from my dream soon....
Bit negative to assume we won't be at least 4th in the prem by the time of the final.

Must dream better.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good point.

Based on Luton's current PPG in 18th place (0.6), 23 points would be enough to finish 17, so we currently have a 2 point cushion...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here