Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] £2 cap on bus fares from October.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wow. Even on our hideously priced busses?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Short-term scheme, from October to April only.

Good idea though. Hope it is extended.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sounds like crazy good stuff. As someone using busses almost daily I would love a similar initiative over here. Would be good for the environment, to avoid traffic congestion, saves people money etc. Public transport needs to be the future but that will only be the case if it is cheap.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Blimey. Very good idea. Sounds like a Boris policy to me, that cannot be right!

Will await details and hope that it covers all bus operators as our local bus company does not receive much if any subsidy from the local council.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How helpful will this be? I haven't seen the details does it prevent obvious options for working around a cap: no city savers any more, no central fair, £2 per bus journey, if you need two buses to get somewhere, you have to buy two tickets. Full price both ways, no return tickets that are cheaper than two individual journeys, reduced services and routes so the 49 will get you to the old steine, but you'll need to get the 7 if you need to go to Sackville road creating two bus journeys where before one was enough. etc.

There has been an increase in people working remotely, reducing the number of people using buses and thus reducing the number of people 'benefiting' but also adding to the strain on the bus companies that encourages them to work around it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, does that mean my bus in the morning from Brighton to Uckfield will only be £2?

EDIT: And £2 back I suppose. Still, it's a bit of a saving.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey. Very good idea. Sounds like a Boris policy to me, that cannot be right!

More likely Rishi….he has a track record of pinching ideas from Germany.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Couple of points, something similar is being tried around here which is reported to be central government funded and not local authority, plus there appears to be restrictions as to whether it's a local borough journey or one that takes you out of that borough you have to check with each bus operator.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How helpful will this be? I haven't seen the details does it prevent obvious options for working around a cap: no city savers any more, no central fair, £2 per bus journey, if you need two buses to get somewhere, you have to buy two tickets. Full price both ways, no return tickets that are cheaper than two individual journeys, reduced services and routes so the 49 will get you to the old steine, but you'll need to get the 7 if you need to go to Sackville road creating two bus journeys where before one was enough. etc.

There has been an increase in people working remotely, reducing the number of people using buses and thus reducing the number of people 'benefiting' but also adding to the strain on the bus companies that encourages them to work around it.

But apart from that, you're fully in favour, right? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here