Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1st trip to Wembley?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
England v Netherlands, a friendly on 9 Feb 1977, in front of 90,000 (night time capacity).
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1970-80/1976-77/M0507Ned1977.html

Thank you Tideway, who took at least two coaches, possibly more.

Cruyff, Neeskens, Jan Peters, Rensenbrink etc outclassed England.

Magical, I used to dream about that visit.

Snap, Cruyff masterclass, still all these years later the most complete footballer I ever saw in the flesh.

Even at the tender age of 12 I went away thinking that night that the clock was ticking for Revie.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Snap, Cruyff masterclass, still all these years later the most complete footballer I ever saw in the flesh.

Even at the tender age of 12 I went away thinking that night that the clock was ticking for Revie.

Yep, my favourite ever footballer, the greatest imho. Unbelievable in any outfield position on the park.

(With Michels) they revolutionised Dutch and then Barca football, then copied by the world.

[Apart from Pulis :lolol:].

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yep, my favourite ever footballer, the greatest imho. Unbelievable in any outfield position on the park.

(With Michels) they revolutionised Dutch and then Barca football, then copied by the world.

[Apart from Pulis :lolol:].

My goto argument with any Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona disciple.

One of his biggest regrets was that he never played in England, was apparently close to signing for Arsenal once.

Holland even named him in the 78 World Cup squad even though he said he wasn’t going, just in case, that’s pure respect 👍

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My goto argument with any Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona disciple.

One of his biggest regrets was that he never played in England, was apparently close to signing for Arsenal once.

Holland even named him in the 78 World Cup squad even though he said he wasn’t going, just in case, that’s pure respect 👍

There’s footage of him as a kid at Ajax mid 60’s, until then Holland had always been also-rans. He was a football genius, teams were built around him.

I always thought of Neeskens as his protection, although he was also an incredible footballer.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
England v Netherlands, a friendly on 9 Feb 1977, in front of 90,000 (night time capacity).
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1970-80/1976-77/M0507Ned1977.html

Thank you Tideway, who took at least two coaches, possibly more.

Cruyff, Neeskens, Jan Peters, Rensenbrink etc outclassed England.

Magical, I used to dream about that visit.
That was my first Wembley trip too. Fawcett school trip. Remember England being outclassed; it pouring with rain; winning enough at cards on the coach to cover the trip; and, my folks having kittens as I walked home from the school (2 miles) about 1am. I was 13.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was my first Wembley trip too. Fawcett school trip. Remember England being outclassed; it pouring with rain; winning enough at cards on the coach to cover the trip; and, my folks having kittens as I walked home from the school (2 miles) about 1am. I was 13.

I remember getting home from those games in the early hours, another one in 77 or 78 was England v Switzerland …. with an 8 start at school the next day :angry:

The old A23 must’ve been a sea of delinquents from Sussex state comps.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember getting home from those games in the early hours, another one in 77 or 78 was England v Switzerland …. with an 8 start at school the next day :angry:

The old A23 must’ve been a sea of delinquents from Sussex state comps.

I have already posted my first visit, that was a school trip, our school was supposed to visit Wembley again the following season, 2 coaches got as far as somewhere in London and we found out the match was postponed because of fog.
The coaches stopped for a toilet break and older lads just disappeared to various takeaway shops, think it took over an hour for the teachers to round everyone up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Did you go the following year v Czechoslovakia?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have already posted my first visit, that was a school trip, our school was supposed to visit Wembley again the following season, 2 coaches got as far as somewhere in London and we found out the match was postponed because of fog.
The coaches stopped for a toilet break and older lads just disappeared to various takeaway shops, think it took over an hour for the teachers to round everyone up.

Same era, from age 13 for me, Tideway did random coach trips to the centre of London in school holidays, anyone could come along. I remember it being the time of Baker Street, also Mr Blue Sky, for some reason.

The creeps went on to museums with teachers.

They allowed the rabble (me and mates) to do as we pleased, with a simple “be back here in 5 hours”.

So we did - inquisitive trips to Soho when it had ‘a reputation’, also shopping/shoplifting on Oxford Street.

The safeguarding/H&S in school trips now is off the scale. When my 15 / 16 year olds took trips to for example to the new Globe theatre, they had to cross roads en masse, with fluorescent bibbed teachers at either end.

So glad that I experienced 70’s/80’s laissez faire state schooling. My kids love the stories. A bit like being a football supporter back in the day, unsanitised.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Ajax v Panathinaikos 1971, 2-0 to Ajax and a masterclass from Johann Cruyff. Remember thousands of nutty Panathinaikos fans , considerably outnumbering Ajax fans .Dick van Dijk played for Ajax.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Schoolboy international England 8 (John Sissons of Wet Sham scored 5 of them) Wales 1. 1961.

Mine was the schoolboy international a year later in 1962. School trip, 'persuaded' to go by our teacher, Tony Geerts.
I can't remember many dads going, so there were loads of 10/11 year old boys wandering about afterwards trying to find the right coach.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mine was the schoolboy international a year later in 1962. School trip, 'persuaded' to go by our teacher, Tony Geerts.
I can't remember many dads going, so there were loads of 10/11 year old boys wandering about afterwards trying to find the right coach.
Yeh, must have been pervs' paradise! Fortunately I made it home unsullied!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
England v Holland schoolboy international in 1982. Aged 11. Lots of screaming kids !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same era, from age 13 for me, Tideway did random coach trips to the centre of London in school holidays, anyone could come along. I remember it being the time of Baker Street, also Mr Blue Sky, for some reason.

The creeps went on to museums with teachers.

They allowed the rabble (me and mates) to do as we pleased, with a simple “be back here in 5 hours”.

So we did - inquisitive trips to Soho when it had ‘a reputation’, also shopping/shoplifting on Oxford Street.

The safeguarding/H&S in school trips now is off the scale. When my 15 / 16 year olds took trips to for example to the new Globe theatre, they had to cross roads en masse, with fluorescent bibbed teachers at either end.

So glad that I experienced 70’s/80’s laissez faire state schooling. My kids love the stories. A bit like being a football supporter back in the day, unsanitised.

I remember trips to Richmond ice-rink, no idea why we went there as opposed to closer rinks. I think Mr Davies owned the coach so maybe it was a side-hussle for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here