Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test, England tour of West Indies at Bridgetown, Barbados

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Our best chance of not losing is if they do not enforce the follow on and bat too long allowing us the time to bat out a draw. IMHO it is a no brainer make us follow on. If we managed to score 400 it will still leave them only 200 to get to win.

How is 'batting too long' going to happen with 10 sessions left... and they just bowled us out in 30 overs??

Us getting 400 (ha ha) and them batting last on a wearing wicket is just about they only way they could lose. So they have taken that option out of the game.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's still THREE days and a session left.

Yes I know but if they bat and put their lead up to 500+ to be safe that would mean us batting for about 2 days not likely but our best chance of not losing.

Their best chance of a win is to put us back in and bowl us out cheaply again.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Our best chance of not losing is if they do not enforce the follow on and bat too long allowing us the time to bat out a draw. IMHO it is a no brainer make us follow on. If we managed to score 400 it will still leave them only 200 to get to win.
Completely agree BG but for some reason enforcing the follow on seems to have fallen out of favour.

They've just annihilated us for 77. The bowlers have hardly broken a sweat and they have a lead of 212.

Why bat now?

I guess the counter argument is that there is so much time in the game, they can build a massive lead with no pressure and will still have time to bowl us out. That and the idea that the pitch will only deteriorate.

But seeing as they're smashing us on the pitch as it is, I'd say "have another go lads".

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's a wicket with good steep bounce, ideal for a tall, quick bowler who hits the deck: Broad should take a good few wickets in the second innings.

Oh
Said that was a stupid decision pre match. It's looking like a terrible one now. Why two spinners.... WHY???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
England Cricket : The more things change, the more they stay the same

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Still fancy our chances in the series. They're going to set the pitches for their quicks so we need to fight fire with fire. Pace / bounce.

Broad obviously should be playing but I heard earlier that Mark Wood had also been brought into the squad....... Those two could have created carnage on this pitch.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Still fancy our chances in the series. They're going to set the pitches for their quicks so we need to fight fire with fire. Pace / bounce.

Broad obviously should be playing but I heard earlier that Mark Wood had also been brought into the squad....... Those two could have created carnage on this pitch.

WI batsmen grow up playing fast bowlers on these pitches. Ours grow up playing medium pace bowlers. Hence this debacle as has happened many times over the years.
Very few English test batsmen can play fast bowling.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
WI batsmen grow up playing fast bowlers on these pitches. Ours grow up playing medium pace bowlers. Hence this debacle as has happened many times over the years.
Very few English test batsmen can play fast bowling.
That's true. But we haven't played our fastest bowlers.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's true. But we haven't played our fastest bowlers.

I don't think it would matter if Broad and Wood had bowled. The problem is never really with our bowling but our batting.

Almost every time we play a test match there is a collapse at some point.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Glad I don't have tickets for day 4, we need to skittle them for about 100 to have any hope.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Said that was a stupid decision pre match. It's looking like a terrible one now. Why two spinners.... WHY???
Root's 5 overs of mystery spin was no less effective than the other two.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont agree with their decision to bat again but lets hope they stay in and get a lead of 600.

If greedy Brian Lara was still there going for his 400, that might have happened.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
61-4 - not really test cricket today was it?

EDIT 61-5, well done 20/20, you have really done for your rival.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here