Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1st October 1988

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was chief Scout at the time of Dixons signing. He was also instrumental in the signing of Graeme Smith!!

Just to even it up, off the top of my head…..

John Crumplin
Mike Small (who the club made ?£400k out of)
Rescued Johnny Byrne
Mark Barham
Gary Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Mark Beeney
Keith Dublin

Certainly more good than bad and certain there are others.

Last edited:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

John Crumplin
Rescued Johnny Byrne
Mark Balham Gary Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Mark Beeney
Keith Dublin

Each to their own. Not my favourite Albion manager.

He could spot good players and worked tirelessly to save the club. Without the sale of Beeney to Leeds the wheels could have fallen off earlier.

The period 1987 to 1993 was not a period I enjoyed watching the Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Got our first points of the season on the board with a 2-1 win against Leeds United, managed by Billy Bremner, at the Goldstone after 8 straight defeats 6 in the League, and two League Cup defeats home and away to Southend.

34 years on, is there a boardroom in the 92 clubs in the country that would tolerate 8 losses on the bounce?

Never a big Dudley Sizen fan back then, but we did later have a beer and a laugh at a Charity do 20 years later, but fair play to him for sticking with Barry Lloyd back then.

Incidentally it was Bremner that got the sack as a result of this defeat.

Interesting post. I could never quite understand why Lloyd has had such a negative reputation (on NSC). The pre-internet era, and the naivety of supporters....we really were on the cusp of disruptive change. Unfortunately the club was sucked through its own ******** and back out the other end as part of the jollity.

I hope you're enjoying the autumn, a little light exercise, and an increasingly relaxed perspective, young man :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Couldn’t agree more Teddy, after our ‘battles’ began nearly 35 years ago, Barry and I enjoy a genuine friendship.

Without wishing to patronise anyone on NSC but in the main as fans we only get a fraction of the truth and it was only on speaking with Barry and others years later that I discovered his contribution to the Albion.

To reiterate he was one of the few that cottoned on to Archer early doors, unfortunately by then Barry’s reputation was somewhat ‘pigeon holed’ amongst the fans, myself included, and back then with Greg Stanley on the charm offensive would we have believed him?

Bruno’s gone but Barry remains an Albion legend ⚽

A very honest and reflective appraisal :thumbsup:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Greg Stanley did charm? I must have missed that day. I didn’t miss his drunken waffle at the Concorde (?) one evening though, or his smashing a shop window in Doncaster (?)

I spent a year with Sussex Police in the late 80's and was on duty at Littlehampton police station when the call came thru from police in Doncaster (Not sure it was Doncaster but somewhere up North :) ) to do an address check on GS. He was in custody for breaking the window and they didn't believe he was a club director.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

John Crumplin
Rescued Johnny Byrne
Mark Barham
Gary Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Mark Beeney
Keith Dublin

Some good players there but I never bought into the Crumplin genius guff. Very very average player imo and I thought the genius bit was a pisstake. A few decades on and I think some think he was :lolol:

And yes I was there when he had John Barnes in his pocket at Liverpool :wink:

In fact every other player in your list was decent.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Each to their own. Not my favourite Albion manager.

He could spot good players and worked tirelessly to save the club. Without the sale of Beeney to Leeds the wheels could have fallen off earlier.

The period 1987 to 1993 was not a period I enjoyed watching the Albion.

Of course.

But a promotion and near PL miss against a backdrop of bankruptcy isn’t a bad effort all things considered.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Some good players there but I never bought into the Crumplin genius guff. Very very average player imo and I thought the genius bit was a pisstake. A few decades on and I think some think he was :lolol:

Think it was at first and then the Liverpool game happened.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015

Agree, he was initially totally useless and Lloyd kept playing him. The chant of 'football genius' was sarcastic as he was so bad, but think it gave him confidence and he became an 'average' player. His cult status was not because he is was any good. Still the only professional player I have seen that totally missed the ball when taking a free kick. Yes I saw him play at Liverpool and he did play Barnes well, but I saw Ashley Neal play well one game as well...honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here