Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1st October 1988

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Got our first points of the season on the board with a 2-1 win against Leeds United, managed by Billy Bremner, at the Goldstone after 8 straight defeats 6 in the League, and two League Cup defeats home and away to Southend.

34 years on, is there a boardroom in the 92 clubs in the country that would tolerate 8 losses on the bounce?

Never a big Dudley Sizen fan back then, but we did later have a beer and a laugh at a Charity do 20 years later, but fair play to him for sticking with Barry Lloyd back then.

Incidentally it was Bremner that got the sack as a result of this defeat.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Didn't Barry become a board member at some point, or am I not remembering properly? That's a pretty good strategy for avoiding the old tin tack!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn't Barry become a board member at some point, or am I not remembering properly? That's a pretty good strategy for avoiding the old tin tack!

In his defence he became CEO and Manager before Belotti, was all set to take the club into administration but was stopped by Bill Archer on the steps of the High Court when he came up with Foray 585 deal.

Barry later told me that whilst he knew that administration would have almost certainly got him sacked it would have effectively ‘ ring fenced’ and saved The Goldstone.

If only Archer had got held up in traffic?

I’ve no doubt we’d have eventually moved to the Amex but the club would almost certainly been better off financially before the ground move.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In his defence he became CEO and Manager before Belotti, was all set to take the club into administration but was stopped by Bill Archer on the steps of the High Court when he came up with Foray 585 deal.

Barry later told me that whilst he knew that administration would have almost certainly got him sacked it would have effectively ‘ ring fenced’ and saved The Goldstone.

If only Archer had got held up in traffic?

I’ve no doubt we’d have eventually moved to the Amex but the club would almost certainly been better off financially before the ground move.

Fascinating insight Lenny, thanks for that.

My memory is patchy as I was still at school when much of this was going on, but I remember Barry as a bit of a panto villain at the time, and it's interesting that as the years have passed he has emerged with a fair amount of credit.

Apologies for derailing your original post though

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Fascinating insight Lenny, thanks for that.

My memory is patchy as I was still at school when much of this was going on, but I remember Barry as a bit of a panto villain at the time, and it's interesting that as the years have passed he has emerged with a fair amount of credit.

Apologies for derailing your original post though

I still harbour a lot of affection for Barry, and for that era with all its ups and downs, and wish he was a more visible figure in and around the club these days.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn’t ‘Barmy’ Lloyd once call Albion fans ‘Village idiots’?

After the BISA “Spring Uprising” of 1992 a former club official described the fans to me over the phone as “A bunch of w******”, to his credit and many years later in a funeral arrangement of all places he did apologise.

Naturally I reciprocated as looking back some of my more extreme actions as an agitator/fanzine editor during those times were that of a complete **** 😂

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst others may disagree, I feel Lloydy was one of the most underrated managers in the clubs history.

Somehow got us to the play-off final, some really astute signings.
Also got us up from Div 3 (League 1), with some solid pro’s, Rougvie etc…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst others may disagree, I feel Lloydy was one of the most underrated managers in the clubs history.

Dropping Gary Nelson was a ricket of massive proportions though. Playing Richard Tiltman was another :smile:

I will give him credit for Sergei Gotsmanov though, absolute quality :wink:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Couldn’t agree more Teddy, after our ‘battles’ began nearly 35 years ago, Barry and I enjoy a genuine friendship.

Without wishing to patronise anyone on NSC but in the main as fans we only get a fraction of the truth and it was only on speaking with Barry and others years later that I discovered his contribution to the Albion.

To reiterate he was one of the few that cottoned on to Archer early doors, unfortunately by then Barry’s reputation was somewhat ‘pigeon holed’ amongst the fans, myself included, and back then with Greg Stanley on the charm offensive would we have believed him?

Bruno’s gone but Barry remains an Albion legend ⚽

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Couldn’t agree more Teddy, after our ‘battles’ began nearly 35 years ago, Barry and I enjoy a genuine friendship.

Without wishing to patronise anyone on NSC but in the main as fans we only get a fraction of the truth and it was only on speaking with Barry and others years later that I discovered his contribution to the Albion.

To reiterate he was one of the few that cottoned on to Archer early doors, unfortunately by then Barry’s reputation was somewhat ‘pigeon holed’ amongst the fans, myself included, and back then with Greg Stanley on the charm offensive would we have believed him?

Bruno’s gone but Barry remains an Albion legend ⚽

Greg Stanley did charm? I must have missed that day. I didn’t miss his drunken waffle at the Concorde (?) one evening though, or his smashing a shop window in Doncaster (?)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Greg Stanley did charm? I must have missed that day. I didn’t miss his drunken waffle at the Concorde (?) one evening though, or his smashing a shop window in Doncaster (?)

In between Doncaster and The Concorde Icy, there’s even a picture of him and Attilla ‘arm in arm’ at Glastonbury.

I hope it makes the Stand or Fall edit, but Ken Bates, another marmite figure, told the 1995 Gulls Eye summer outing to Ascot, that Stanley was, quote, ‘A likeable Buffon who can’t be trusted with his own money’, about half an hour later and more Vino Ken clarified his comment by adding ‘If Stanley was down to his last fiver, he’d still have more money than sense’ 😂

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dropping Gary Nelson was a ricket of massive proportions though. Playing Richard Tiltman was another :smile:

I will give him credit for Sergei Gotsmanov though, absolute quality :wink:

IMO the whole Tiltman thing is always taken out of context, sure he struggled in a poor team, but wasn’t as bad as perceived.

He was a prolific forward at non-league level, had done well in the reserves and deserved a chance, there weren’t many others knocking on the door, he did score as well, at championship level (which is no mean feat).

As for Nelson, (seriously), I can’t remember if he played in the Millwall demolition, (I don’t think he did), but on that basis should you change a winning team?

All I remember is Mike Small, Codner and Clive Walker being outstanding.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Yep

And he discovered Mark Farrington and Johnny Dixon!!

And Gary Nelson, Kevin Bremner, Mike Small, John Byrne, Kurt Nogan, Mark Gall, and later on Glenn Murray when he was working as a scout for us. Yep Farrington and Dixon were anomalies, but largely I always thought Barry had a good eye for the strikers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here