Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Ashes Test Australia v England - Brisbane

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Whilst England have been toilet this match, the attitude of the Australians has been pathetic. First of all Warner's comments about Trott, now Michael Clarke telling Anderson to "get ready for a broken hand" because a run out was turned down.

you can't teach these colonials about manners or behaving like a gentleman, they are savages, I tell you nowt but savages.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Trott never learns and Root hasn't convinced me yet. Not ready to panic just yet....... 4 more tests to come.

After last night I think the time is right to PANIC. Looking at this Test card I can't see any positives other than Broads figures. I won't go in to detail but we can't bat, and can barely bowl. Swann has match figures of 53-225-2 and a pair. The tail has been getting us out of trouble with the bat in the last few series but not any more as the convicts have learned how to mop us up with either the pace of Johnson, the hand grenades from Lyon or the nagging accuracy of Harris and Siddle.

Not much winter cheer to come I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 18477

After last night I think the time is right to PANIC. Looking at this Test card I can't see any positives other than Broads figures. I won't go in to detail but we can't bat, and can barely bowl. Swann has match figures of 53-225-2 and a pair. The tail has been getting us out of trouble with the bat in the last few series but not any more as the convicts have learned how to mop us up with either the pace of Johnson, the hand grenades from Lyon or the nagging accuracy of Harris and Siddle.

Not much winter cheer to come I'm afraid.

Bore off and calm down.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The sad thing about Warner's comments was that he was right. Trott is chicken and so is Prior ( always has been ) Pace will always unsettle them and they will give it away. KP is a talent but is a head-case and will also chuck it away when patience is required ( he hasn't got any )
They haven't just been beaten in this Test, they have been hammered out of sight. Some are not showing the stomach for the fight. The signs are not good. I'm getting uneasy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I loved the sledging in this first test and the Australians have won hands down. The aggression towards Anderson was classic. With the team we have we will not have Cook chasing Clarke around a car park (Botham/Chappell). They have set the tone for the Series and we do not have the ugly anger they showed today. bailey's face was real inbred convict staring at Anderson.

What we need to do is stand back from sledging and get on with playing cricket. We may or may not beat this lot at at cricket but we won't beat them in a fight.

The Barmy Army did well today.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That was a frightful beating. Was anyone clever enough to get money on an England batting meltdown? (as per usual in first tests of tours.)

Their bowling is better than ours. Now that Johnson appears to have recovered the form that had him outbowling Steyn and breaking Graham Smith's hand in 08. We need to keep our fingers crossed that Harris gets injured or Johnson loses form because otherwise I don't see us scoring the runs required consistently. Another big problem is that Swann's record in Australia is poor, whilst Monty is a really good spinner on these faster wickets. Problem is, we haven't taken Monty to play, have we? In a four man attack, if Swann takes his wickets at 50 we are in serious trouble, remember how beaten up we got in that series against South Africa when Amla worked Swann out??

Our batting is extremely fragile. It looks to me like we fall apart in situations that differ from the norm. Extreme pace, a turning ball or swing/reverse swing worry most batsmen but ours especially lose it. Cook, Bell & Pietersen need to step up, especially now Trott's gone home.

Trott going home might actually do us some favours. I don't think the selectors would have dropped him, he had so much credit in the bank from his career to date, he probably would have got most of this series, despite his wretched form. However, we have nothing too promising to replace him, the Aussies will fancy Root at 3 and our record of bringing other batmen into the team in recent years (Bopara, Morgan, Taylor, Bairstow) hasn't been at all good.

The good news? As much as Australia might like it to happen, they can't produce 5 wickets with the pace and carry of this one. Perth (where we got thumped last time) will be quick but the other 3 should be conditions more to our liking. That gives us 3 tests to win 2 to retain the Ashes I reckon. Also, I'm in no way convinced about the quality of this Australian batting line up. Aside from Clarke, Rodgers and Haddin they look like a bunch of one day players.

Looks to me like this could be a fantastic series.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Time to bring Ravi back, ideal no 6 who can bowl some too.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Think it will be Bell at 3, apparently he's wanted to move up the order for a while. Root at 5 and then who? Think they'll probably go with bairstow but the left field option might be stokes - think they'll be worried about the Aussies getting after swann and with Bresnan likely to come back to add depth to the batting as well they might think they want the extra bowling option. I quite like stokes, he's talented and fiesty - much, much better batsman than bowler though, a bit like Shane Watson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here