Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 FA Cup run question

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
From The Knowledge section of today's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/01/footballers-undergoing-cosmetic-surgery

"Having heard about the Xabi Alonso/Sergio Ramos 'deliberate' red cards in Ajax v Real Madrid, my memories went back to the coverage of FA Cup football in the early 1980s when I was a boy in Holland," begins Hans Baas. "There was a team captain who got a yellow and desperately tried to get a second one to be able to play the final, but the ref categorically refused to give it. Can you please tell me if this happened, and how and when? It might be to do with the 82-83 Brighton run, but I can't find any information to confirm my memories."

Send your questions and answers to knowledge@guardian.co.uk.

This was a bit before my time personally, but does anybody know anything about this? It'll save me waiting until the answers appear in next week's column! Would this happened to have been Steve Foster in the semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday?

Also, if that is right, and you can be bothered, send The Guardian a response at the above address as well, and you could get your name in the paper too!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Game was at Notts County? Seems amazing now that he couldn't get himself booked but wasn't that surprising at the time...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought Steve Foster got the yellow at Notts County away that meant he missed the final.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I thought Steve Foster got the yellow at Notts County away that meant he missed the final.
was he booked and couldn't subsequently get sent-off...?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Honestly not sure the reason but was at the game and I thought he got a yellow card which meant he had 5 or 10 for the season then the appropriate ban which meant he missed the Cup Final but not the replay.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

he got booked for a fairly innoccuous challenge and then spent the rest of the game arguing with the ref, manhandling players to the ground, handling the ball, refusing to get back ten yards at free kicks etc

the ref wouldn't give the second yellow.

getting 10 yellows was a 3 game ban whilst getting a red would have been a one game ban

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
he got booked for a fairly innoccuous challenge and then spent the rest of the game arguing with the ref, manhandling players to the ground, handling the ball, refusing to get back ten yards at free kicks etc

the ref wouldn't give the second yellow.

getting 10 yellows was a 3 game ban whilst getting a red would have been a one game ban
That's true, it was something to do with the way the bans were structured and served that the ban for the red would have been 'better' than the ban for the accumulation of yellows. Consequently he did everything bar hit the ref and expose himself to the ladies in the stand in order to collect a second yellow - but the ref was having none of it.

He WAS available for the replay though. For all the good it did. And when we were 4-0 down even I had to chuckle wryly when we heard the Man U fans singing: "Stevie Foster, Stevie Foster, what a difference you have made!"

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
ironically a certain mr Gary stevens did a very good job, in Steve Fosters absence, marshalling the defence in first game at wembley ........

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I was at the home game when Foster could have got a booking and served his suspension before the final (can't remember who against, anyone can?). In the second half he committed about 3 obvious offenses-handball, grabbing an opponent. Ref knew what he was up to and shook his finger at him, refused to book him.

I wasn't at Notts County but believe it was as ROSM described. I always thought Foster was unfairly treated, the normal rules were not applied to him (in the sense that he wasn't booked for bookable offences and had to miss the final because of this).

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yes I remember Fozzie desperately trying to get sent off but the ref wouldn't oblige
Would it have changed the final ? Who knows but we weren't much at the races in the replay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here