1983 FA Cup Final DVD-Robbed!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Faithful

Patience is a virtue...
Jun 5, 2008
Evening all :bigwave:

I am feeling exceptionally gutted tonight as have the house to myself and have settled down to watch a recently purchased BBC DVD of the 1983 FA Cup Final while the TV is at my mercy. Bought myself this copy online for a fiver:

hmv.com: DVD: Manchester Utd Vs Brighton 1983 (2004)

Thought I'd done well here as the description is "highlights of the original game and the rematch" and as born in 1984 am a virgin to what a lot of you consider the proudest day in the history of our club.

Stuck the DVD in and, to my dismay, have found out that the DVD has the rematch in it entirity and only the goals from the original game (not even Smith's miss made made the cut!) :rant:

Thank god I only parted with 5 quid for this predictably pro Man Utd publication as after 1 view I'm sure it will find its way onto the shelf for a very long time.

Can any of you NSCers help a man out here and pass on your knowlege of where I can purchase a DVD of the original match? Any help would be much appreciated guys and gals and much mental love would be sent out in thanks :kiss:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
""Contains highlights of the original game and the rematch.""

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
There was a bloke on here who did a great line in pirate copies a couple of years back. Great Cornhilo???

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
Boo Ho Ho, my DVD isn't what i wanted, i've got a night to myself and now its ruined blah blah blah.

Why dont you stop boring us all with your sob stories and concentrate on the real issues of life..... for christ sake im.. im...I'm your Dad!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I bought one from the club shop a few years back which had the first game pretty much in its entirity and only the "highlights" of the replay.

Very enjoyable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My recollection of the replay is that we played some of the best football I've ever seen from an Albion side until we went a goal down. About 20 mins if my memory is not faded?

What did you think watching it last night?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There was a bloke on here who did a great line in pirate copies a couple of years back. Great Cornhilo???

They were not pirate copies they were copies made converting videos of the TV coverage from the whole day converted to DVD so not of the officially realsed versions.

Falmer Faithful

Patience is a virtue...
Jun 5, 2008
Boo Ho Ho, my DVD isn't what i wanted, i've got a night to myself and now its ruined blah blah blah.

Why dont you stop boring us all with your sob stories and concentrate on the real issues of life..... for christ sake im.. im...I'm your Dad!

Cheers Lee. Obviously working hard ;)

See you tomorrow for a few jars, you know how much you've missed me!

Falmer Faithful

Patience is a virtue...
Jun 5, 2008
My recollection of the replay is that we played some of the best football I've ever seen from an Albion side until we went a goal down. About 20 mins if my memory is not faded?

What did you think watching it last night?

We were great for about 20 mins and I was wondering how we ended up losing 4-0. All fell apart after that first goal though :(

Shame you cant buy the earlier rounds on DVD but youtube has some quality moments to watch.

This is not the version to buy as you found out. It was released as part of an FA Collection " Manchester Utd Cup Final box set"
41XDTBQKE3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
By Seagull in Kyiv (Kyiv, Ukraine) - See all my reviews

I eagerly awaited this dvd (for 4-weeks)to be cleared through Ukrainian customs in anticipation of the real final in 1983. But alas the classic final is barely mentioned and we are given the part only United fans might feel compeled to watch. Big shame and now searching for the real match on DVD. Does it exist? 1 star only for the few seconds they do show of what were glorious days of old.

518H9ND2WAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
this is the one to get (BBC coverage - only available on VHS I think ), if you can stand the cover, contains the whole of the first game including extra time and edited "highlihts" of the replay

Product Description

Synopsis
Full match coverage of the Final plus 47 minutes of the replay. The Seagulls of Brighton were able to hold United to a 2-2 draw in the final, but in the replay United chose Sir Matt Busby's birthday to inflict on Brighton the biggest winning margin recorded at Wembley.

3 available ion Amazon this lunchtime

The South Coast minnows nearly beat the Old Trafford Giants, 24 Nov 2000
By A Customer

Set in the dizzy footballing days of the 1980's - when Cup Finals were exciting, the nearly fairy tail story of little Brighton & Hove Albion beating the might of Manchester United is unrolled in glorious style on this BBC video.
Having taken an early lead the Seagulls seemed to be capitulating to the Devils but then the twist....

with just minutes to go Gary Stevens became Sussex's hero by taking the game into extra time.

The real drama unfolds in the dying minutes of extra time as 'Smith must score....' for Brighton but doesn't.

The underdogs came so close, but ultimately blew it. Fantastic value when compared to many footballing products this video expresses all the drama of a REAL cup final.

For Manchester United fans there is the replay which saw them take the biggest win in FA Cup Final history, but for the neutral the real story is in the heart of every true football fan wanting the Roy of the Rovers finish.

If only.......

Last edited:

Falmer Faithful

Patience is a virtue...
Jun 5, 2008
This is not the version to buy as you found out. It was released as part of an FA Collection " Manchester Utd Cup Final box set"
41XDTBQKE3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
By Seagull in Kyiv (Kyiv, Ukraine) - See all my reviews

I eagerly awaited this dvd (for 4-weeks)to be cleared through Ukrainian customs in anticipation of the real final in 1983. But alas the classic final is barely mentioned and we are given the part only United fans might feel compeled to watch. Big shame and now searching for the real match on DVD. Does it exist? 1 star only for the few seconds they do show of what were glorious days of old.

518H9ND2WAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
this is the one to get (BBC coverage - only available on VHS I think ), if you can stand the cover, contains the whole of the first game including extra time and edited "highlihts" of the replay

Product Description

Synopsis
Full match coverage of the Final plus 47 minutes of the replay. The Seagulls of Brighton were able to hold United to a 2-2 draw in the final, but in the replay United chose Sir Matt Busby's birthday to inflict on Brighton the biggest winning margin recorded at Wembley.

3 available ion Amazon this lunchtime

The South Coast minnows nearly beat the Old Trafford Giants, 24 Nov 2000
By A Customer

Set in the dizzy footballing days of the 1980's - when Cup Finals were exciting, the nearly fairy tail story of little Brighton & Hove Albion beating the might of Manchester United is unrolled in glorious style on this BBC video.
Having taken an early lead the Seagulls seemed to be capitulating to the Devils but then the twist....

with just minutes to go Gary Stevens became Sussex's hero by taking the game into extra time.

The real drama unfolds in the dying minutes of extra time as 'Smith must score....' for Brighton but doesn't.

The underdogs came so close, but ultimately blew it. Fantastic value when compared to many footballing products this video expresses all the drama of a REAL cup final.

For Manchester United fans there is the replay which saw them take the biggest win in FA Cup Final history, but for the neutral the real story is in the heart of every true football fan wanting the Roy of the Rovers finish.

If only.......

Cheers S68 good find :thumbsup:

Not sure I wanna part with £18 for a VHS copy so may hunt a bit longer but good news that there's decent copies out there. Dont mind the cover really as has a cool retro look to it, must be a DVD copy somewhere?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I have the VHS somewhere at home. The only VHS I kept when moving over to DVD's years ago.

Cheers S68 good find :thumbsup:

Not sure I wanna part with £18 for a VHS copy so may hunt a bit longer but good news that there's decent copies out there. Dont mind the cover really as has a cool retro look to it, must be a DVD copy somewhere?

Don't think its ever been officially released on DVD....

although many on this board have it on DVD courtesy of the Great Cornilio a few years ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports