Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1973 Chelsea Cup tie - were you there ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember being so impressed with their Away strip that day that the following week I went out and bought a pair of those green socks to match with my West Blatch red shirt & white shorts.

I have a confession. My first two ever league footy visits were at Stamford Bridge. I was actually supporting Chelsea at the Goldstone. But having moved to EP and taking in my first Brighton game as a 9 year old I was totally changed on the spot to Brighton. I went to the Goldstone regularly thereafter, whoever was willing to take me as a kid as my dad was a bit of a misery and didn't take me. I'd get lifts off mates dads to go, with mums permission of course and saw some of the most memorable football matches of my life in the 70s. Fortunately by about 1977 I was allowed to go by myself, you know how parents were back then, what a great time, we never looked at the Goldstone as run down back in the time, it was our home. So I guess I am a glory seeking JCL :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i was there too .torn between my two (at that time) teams !, think we had to go to a reserves game to enable us to buy a ticket for that game , so there was about 20,000 atthe goldstone for a reserves game

No, I just turned up on the day and paid my money at the turnstile and got into the west stand. Never been to a reserve game in my life.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I have a confession. My first two ever league footy visits were at Stamford Bridge. I was actually supporting Chelsea at the Goldstone. But having moved to EP and taking in my first Brighton game as a 9 year old I was totally changed on the spot to Brighton. I went to the Goldstone regularly thereafter, whoever was willing to take me as a kid as my dad was a bit of a misery and didn't take me. I'd get lifts off mates dads to go, with mums permission of course and saw some of the most memorable football matches of my life in the 70s. Fortunately by about 1977 I was allowed to go by myself, you know how parents were back then, what a great time, we never looked at the Goldstone as run down back in the time, it was our home. So I guess I am a glory seeking JCL :wink:

Don't beat yourself up about it.
The first season I started following the Albion Home & Away on a regular basis I was aged 13 and when they played too far away me & a mate after playing for Nevill in the morning
would often decide on the spur of the moment to jump on a train and head up to Stamford Bridge and into The Shed.
Chelsea were 2nd Division then but they were great days out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh my eye! What memories! Yes, I was there, in the west stand - seem to remember I was a bit further north than where I usually stood.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The first season I started following the Albion Home & Away on a regular basis I was aged 13 and when they played too far away me & a mate after playing for Nevill in the morning
would often decide on the spur of the moment to jump on a train and head up to Stamford Bridge and into The Shed.

They were a really good Div 1 side when I first saw them, I think I was about 4!!! 1967, ended up in the Cup Final v Spurs with a legendary team including Ossy, Chopper, Webb, Houseman, etc. I remember sitting in the West on the wooden benches. Good days.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
No, I just turned up on the day and paid my money at the turnstile and got into the west stand. Never been to a reserve game in my life.

well ive been to loads , and you used to have togo to some just to ensure tickets for the big cup-ties !

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

shit team though !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here