Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Members (Past and Present) What were your expectations when you originally signed up?

Oh I agree it's your decision....but yet again you are quoting £42... And as I understand it that's not a match day price in all the stands and as has been pointed out a far lower figure can be achieved if you were a STH...I have some sympathy..because there may come a day when I can't afford it...but I'll move to the cheaper areas first....but bhanutz has a point you are quite keen to slag the club off

Its modern football that i slag off but my team are part of it i'm afraid,alot on here wet themselves when man utd pay 90 million but don't see that's how league one see the championships spending.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great, another thread derailed by Return of the Rev whinging about the Albion

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its modern football that i slag off but my team are part of it i'm afraid,alot on here wet themselves when man utd pay 90 million but don't see that's how league one see the championships spending.

Can you stop, you're derailing an interesting thread.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's my decision not to pay into this tier of the football industry,i understand its not the fans fault or blooms and people make their own choices but my £5 makes a difference at oaks level and my £42 would not even pay the players to get out the amex car park:smile: Having said that Brighton is my home town side,so here's hoping football sorts itself out.

I know nothing about you but I suspect your reasons for watching MO are:
it's cheaper
it's closer to home
it consumes less time
you have friends who watch/play for them

I recall you going to Withdean and wonder at what point you made the switch to MO.
Why do you slag off your "home town" team at every opportunity ?

I know nothing about you but I suspect your reasons for watching MO are:
it's cheaper
it's closer to home
it consumes less time
you have friends who watch/play for them

I recall you going to Withdean and wonder at what point you made the switch to MO.
Why do you slag off your "home town" team at every opportunity ?

Because with 23k s/t holders paying a good amount of money the club is nowhere sustainable without millions getting pumped in or premiere tv cash. Just seems wrong:moo:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We've been in 1901 since the off. I really don't want to sound like a proper little busybody but what gripes me is the lack of consistency when it comes to attire in there. Listen, I'd love to wear a replica shirt, shorts, and t-shirts. I hate having to wear smart jeans to every home game and abide by the rules of wearing a bloody collar (I'm not a dog BTW, or a gimp for that matter). We purchased 1901 mainly for comfort reasons for my Dad who has been struggling with his health for several years now, and our seats are tip-top. But when I see people in the lounge in Nike air pumps, shorts, replica t-shirts, etc, then it p***es me of that I worry every time I approach our entrance for fear of being turned away like some merry 16-year old queuing up to get into an over 18 nightclub. And, this does make me sound like a busybody actually, I have photographic evidence. Yes, I took photos on Friday evening and plan to send these to Paul Rogers. When my Dad gets threatened with no entry a few years ago (against Palace of all people) for not wearing a suitable collar and then I see people in replica shirts, shorts and having banter with the door staff who turn a blind eye to it, it frustrates the hell out of me.

get a ****ing life you sad prick

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
My expectations (such as they were) were limited. I thought that after years getting rained on in the "undercover" front row at Withdean I wanted something better. To this end expectations were fulfilled. I found that about 50% of the members in my lounge were the same. I didn't expect free programmes or free coffee so that was a surprise. I left at the end of last season and have a season ticket in the lower west now - first competitive match will be Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My reasons were very similar. I wanted a central seat where I would not be rained on. When I applied the only such seat that was available was in the 1901East.
I was pleasantly surprised to be given a programme and a free cup of coffee at half time. I have enjoyed watching games from my seat and enjoy the company of those that sit near me.
I had no hesitation in renewing my membership.
I did think it was poor PR to withdraw the free coffee without informing members at the time of renewal.

Overal I think my 1901 membership gives me good value.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
This has been a truly interesting read. The 1901 is the only part of the ground I haven't been in. My boss has a ticket which I will ask to borrow so I can witness the privations you have to suffer.

On a serious note I agree that the club has to maximize income and so having better areas and corporate boxes is now essential. I also agree that I would be pissed off if I was no longer being offered what I had signed up for but this does all seem to have come to the fore since free tea and coffee has been taken away. Maybe the club needs to take notice of how easy it is to piss off their most profitable fans.

But most amazing is how many NSC stalwarts are 1901 members! (Yes I am very aware that I am a JCL)

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Been a member since the start and like a load of 'Withdeaners' wanted a bit of luxury after years of getting soaked. My seat and lounge are superb, not that happy that the coffee and we had a big battle to keep out parking permits, but we had it in writing that they would honour the original agreement. My main argument is the level
Of service by Sodexo, really poor, different staff each week being trained on the job, not good and when we complain all we get is 'they win awards for hospitality you know' .think to sum it up, we pay a bit more for comfort, but it could be a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1901 has been great when I've done it, but I enjoy the game as much from my seat in WSU.

The view is not much different, the seats are not noticably more comfortable. The beer is in glass ( big WIN for 1901 ). A lift available ( another WIN ). Food decent, a bit pricey. Always stood in the bar, but of course a seating option is nice.

I can see why it appeals, and why some opt for it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We switched to 1901 and were shown round by Paul Rogers. The half time tea/coffee and free programmes were specified and we factored them in against the added cost. Over four years I would think we had ex players in to reminisce etc (also promised) on half a dozen occasions and for most of the time the food offer was pies at the bar. If food & drink are important the concourses offer much much much more!
All of that being said we met lovely people and exceptional staff on every single visit and in the depths of winter the lounge is a vastly warmer haven than any concourse (and I've tried them all).
Good value? On the whole yes. Could be better? Without question.
One thing for sure I never saw a single prawn sarnie and corporates were greatly less in evidence than individual fans of long standing. Great venue. Great experience.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The chap who sits behind me goes to pretty much every away game, especially a Tuesday night away at Huddersfield type game.

I fully appreciate that and probably know him but I was just trying to understand or guess how many 1901 would be going to many away games

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But wasnt 1901 envisaged as "corporate" basically for businesses..but Albion fans with a few extra quid snapped up the memberships and so as a result they are now trimming back the "benefits" so if people do leave they can bang out the "membership" at loads more money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here