Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Non season ticket holders or casual fans being treated to a day out by suppliers I imagine. I personally think that with the right pricing and quality we don't even need a corporate area any different to what we have. It seems to me to be like trying to milk two cows when they have been struggling to milk one successfully. The fact that 1901 fans are eating and drinking elsewhere before a game in increasing numbers should be ringing alarm bells imo.

Keeping your existing customers/fans, who are there for the next three years at least, happy is more important than trying to woo new customers, again imo. It's not like they are having trouble filling 1901 is it?

Gotcha. As I have mentioned I think this whole corporate thing is turning out to be a distraction. The club have 3000 plus premium seats which I am led to believe is unheard of at our level. Concentrate on this as opposed to this fine dining nonsense which the 1901 members seemingly do not want and which is virtully impossible to produce on such a scale.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just 3 tables have booked the Overline Lounge today. Just 3.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Just 3 tables have booked the Overline Lounge today. Just 3.

I think it was Superphil who mooted a boycott. Looks like its happening without any organisation. Our group won't be eating in the Overline at all this season. Club have blown it as far as I'm concerned.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think it was Superphil who mooted a boycott. Looks like its happening without any organisation. Our group won't be eating in the Overline at all this season. Club have blown it as far as I'm concerned.

Same for us - my group are not eating today, and if I were in the UK I would not be having a table there either. We had a table more or less every game last season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
news fro my group at the Amex is that very few in the Overline are having the buffet either - looks like the club need a serious rethink very soon

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
17 (seventeen) eating today in the Overline lounge, and the response from compare, Martin Chivers, "no-one seems to be coming in here anymore"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
We went to The Swan and had a superb burger, and some very decent ale.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
17 (seventeen) eating today in the Overline lounge, and the response from compare, Martin Chivers, "no-one seems to be coming in here anymore"

i wonder why :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same for us - my group are not eating today, and if I were in the UK I would not be having a table there either. We had a table more or less every game last season.

There was around 25 tables last season for each game. For all the Barber talk of increasing revenue I wonder how much his screwing up of the catering for 3000 1901 Club members is costing the club each game? Very very disappointing.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Has to be said it is Gary Chivers. That apart I hope they sort it out as they have made a very big mistake on the food.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
There was around 25 tables last season for each game. For all the Barber talk of increasing revenue I wonder how much his screwing up of the catering for 3000 1901 Club members is costing the club each game? Very very disappointing.

Must be costing a lot - and making people upset at the experience being messed up

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It all seems very odd, the 1901 club. They've attracted thousands of people, all willing to pay top dollar for seats and keen to spend money on food and drink to make every match a bit of a day out. And yet the prices are pitched so high they could only be acceptable to hardcore corporate customers whose businesses are happy to write off the cost. In the current climate, there aren't likely to be many of those.

If they regarded it as a high quality social club for Albion fans with basic food, well cooked, I think they'd sell loads. They could still pitch the prices higher than the concourses but by a reasonable amount, comparable with a decent city centre pub. If they could pull that off then, apart from the lack of atmosphere in those seats, the 1901 club would be absolutely brilliant and a lot closer to what the vast majority of members expected. In time, when it's been shown to be worth the outlay, more people would then be prepared to shell out on the full package as a treat.

I also believe that revised approach would have very little impact on the numbers who want the full restaurant experience to impress clients. It would also allow the caterers to focus better on making that package truly exceptional. At the moment, it's boils down to 'get fleeced or spend nothing'. Which does neither party much good.

Of course, the profit margins on cheaper food would be lower but by shifting far more, surely the club could make the whole concept work somehow?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course, the profit margins on cheaper food would be lower but by shifting far more, surely the club could make the whole concept work somehow?

True. I guess it comes down to a % of something is better than a % of nothing...which is what the current situation is.

Surely Barber's next move is to host some genuine non-lipservice focus groups?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Go on make me laugh and tell me he doesn't know why! As my greencrocer uncle once said "I can sell bananas all day at a shilling a pound, but at half a crown I'd sell nowt !:whistle:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
It all seems very odd, the 1901 club. They've attracted thousands of people, all willing to pay top dollar for seats and keen to spend money on food and drink to make every match a bit of a day out. And yet the prices are pitched so high they could only be acceptable to hardcore corporate customers whose businesses are happy to write off the cost. In the current climate, there aren't likely to be many of those.

If they regarded it as a high quality social club for Albion fans with basic food, well cooked, I think they'd sell loads. They could still pitch the prices higher than the concourses but by a reasonable amount, comparable with a decent city centre pub. If they could pull that off then, apart from the lack of atmosphere in those seats, the 1901 club would be absolutely brilliant and a lot closer to what the vast majority of members expected. In time, when it's been shown to be worth the outlay, more people would then be prepared to shell out on the full package as a treat.

I also believe that revised approach would have very little impact on the numbers who want the full restaurant experience to impress clients. It would also allow the caterers to focus better on making that package truly exceptional. At the moment, it's boils down to 'get fleeced or spend nothing'. Which does neither party much good.

Send that to the Club, sums it up quite well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Go on make me laugh and tell me he doesn't know why! As my greencrocer uncle once said "I can sell bananas all day at a shilling a pound, but at half a crown I'd sell nowt !:whistle:

Everyone knows why, all the 1901 members in the Newmarket Inn, all the 1901 members in The Swan know it, just seems the club do not have a Scoobey what's going on. Well so what, we'll keep doing what we like, and right now we do not like what they're doing, and won't be patronising them till they sort it out.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Can we give new caterers a bit of a break? Let them maybe have a few games before we write them off totally? Is that only far? Got to say the hot dog I had tonight in the lower East tonight was shite though!

i had one in the upper west, do you know why the bun was rock hard and crispy? thats a new one, i gave half of it to my nephew haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here