Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cheers both. I've just joined 1901 and am trying to work out which mailing lists I'm supposed to be on, s'all.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Slowly braised chicken breast? Since when should you slowly braise chicken breats? Thigh surely?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
In the cause of market research, (but mainly because my old lady won't be around to rustle me up a meal on Saturday), I will be trying out the gourmet beef burger and fries in the 1901. Comes in at £12, (less my 10% e-cash discount = £10.80). I'm not holding out much hope even though its marketed as British beef burger, tomato relish, cornichon, onion rings, rustic chip.

Does anybody know what cornichon is by the way? I'm also a bit concerned its described as 'chip', (singular), which sounds a bit mean. :eek:

I shall report back in due course.

Oh please, let it be just one chip! It will almost be worth buying just to tell the story. If it is, promise me you'll put a photo of this lonely chip up on here?

I'll have a chip on my shoulder if you don't.

Me. Get. Coat.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Slowly braised chicken breast? Since when should you slowly braise chicken breats? Thigh surely?

This is the 1901 we're talking about, their chefs don't have a ****ling clue how to cook.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think they're preparing the ground to serve up a white piece of rubber.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In previous seasons, including at Withdean, a group of us who have become great friends from meeting at football, have enjoyed doing it as a bit of a treat a few times a season. We don't see much of each other away from football due to geography so it worked quite nicely. Withdean was more expensive than the last two seasons at the Amex, but it was far, far superior, the food and service, were head and shoulders above the Amex, it certainly was a lot better than school dinners. We carried on the tradition at the Amex, but I don't think we ever thought it was any good, especially the buffets, for which we got a refund (the Liverpool game). After Azure got the hoof we hoped it would improve, but it didn't really, certainly not enough to make us do it more, to call it school diiners is an insult the the education authorities efforts to feed the children.

Now it has come to the point where we are unlikely to get to the ground much before kick off time, such is the poor standard of everything. We're going to plan 'get-togethers' in Brighton pre-match, and hop on the trian in time for kick off. For the Burnley game we're all going to the Swan, a bunch of other 1901ers have started using it, we did for the last match and it was really good.

Even the "Odds & Sods", a group of 15 or so long standing fans who had a table for a meal for every match for the past two seasons, and for many years at Withdean, have called it a day. I understand they have now got a deal from the Newmarket Inn just up the road from the stadium, they get fed and watered, and then a minibus to the ground in time for KO. They must have collectively been paying well over £20K a season to the club.

I hope the club see this post, and do something about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hope the club see this post, and do something about it.

The minute the Odds N Sods said they were reconsidering is the minute the club should have done something.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are some very good pub lunches available in Brighton and no doubt Lewes. We've always done this on a Saturday, and left stadium food ( ie a pie) for midweek evening games when we don't have so much time.

Can't really see how stadium catering could beat one of the better dedicated pub kitchens tbh.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Grey Seagull. I've seen two threads started by you both concerning the catering in the 1901 one was saying how marvellous it was and one saying how poor / expensive it is.

When you start posting about the football I will assume that the scoff in there has been resolved to your satisfaction. It's a soccerball stadium not the fricking savoy grill.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Grey Seagull. I've seen two threads started by you both concerning the catering in the 1901 one was saying how marvellous it was and one saying how poor / expensive it is.

When you start posting about the football I will assume that the scoff in there has been resolved to your satisfaction. It's a soccerball stadium not the fricking savoy grill.

Marvellous? Are you kidding? On drugs again? I simply said "credit where credit is due, we've got some snacks, chocolates, and hot dogs". When did I ever praise the standard of catering?

Indeed it is a football stadium, a pat on your back for pointing that out. But what you have to realise is there is a big market out there of people who don't just view it as a football stadium but a venue where they can wine and dine their clients, network, have a three course meal or buffet and pump much needed money into the club. Like or not, that's the direction in which the club is going. However, the poor standard of catering, lack of confidence in the catering staff, and the bizarre pricing, has meant that this has not been happening so far this season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There are some very good pub lunches available in Brighton and no doubt Lewes. We've always done this on a Saturday, and left stadium food ( ie a pie) for midweek evening games when we don't have so much time.

Can't really see how stadium catering could beat one of the better dedicated pub kitchens tbh.

Carvery for £5:95 at the Newmarket and 2 stops on the bus. Sorted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
However, the poor standard of catering, lack of confidence in the catering staff, and the bizarre pricing, has meant that this has not been happening so far this season.

I'd like to be a fly-on-the-wall when Barber has to explain his catering shambles to Bloom.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. But I feel most people who want to dine simply want a half-decent meal at a sensible 'football' price. Azure had the right product at the right price but their quality let them down. The current lot seem to be way off target in every sense. Empty dining rooms and zero buffet purchases are testament to this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here