Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
19 pounds for a plate of curry must be the most expensive Indian in Brighton and Hove.

Ashoka do a great King Prawn Jalfrezi and pilau rice for under that and that is one of the most expensive dishes on their menu.

I can totally see why 1901s would eat in the city beforehand at that price.

Who eats a plate of curry before a Saturday afternoon football match? or has enough time to do so before an evening kick off midweek?? I just don't get it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As I said on another thread, won't this sort itself out in a couple of years time anyway, when the tickets are jacked up to a proper 'corporate package' prices and the 5-year renewals start kicking in?

It's not impossible to see that the prices for central west stand 1901 will go through the roof, with the 'good news' being that you could move to the wings, or East stand 1901, for free, and with no price increase ( assuming space available ) if you choose.

I was thinking that. I don't know Phil personally and I'm sure he's a great bloke, but in the past on here I have sometimes been a bit irritated by his (as I see it) blindly pro-club stance on absolutely everything. (And in fairness I'm sure he's been irritated by me but that's NSC!) However if he's using words like 'shit' and saying he intends to boycott the food - well it MUST be bad.
And, as a Newport County shirt sponsor, he's in a GOOD mood this week.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's not impossible to see that the prices for central west stand 1901 will go through the roof, with the 'good news' being that you could move to the wings, or East stand 1901, for free, and with no price increase ( assuming space available ) if you choose.

Why no price increase? All the other tickets in the stadium will have gone up substantially over those 5 years. Mine has gone up 16% in three years (£460 to £535)... I would expect no less than 30% over 5 years, unless we are in the Premier League in which case it could be substantially more.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why no price increase... all the other tickets in the stadium will have gone up substantially over those 5 years.

If other season tickets are near the £70-80 per month mark, I don't think we'll sell many

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why no price increase... all the other tickets in the stadium will have gone up substantially over those 5 years.

Perhaps just a possible incentive to get some 1901s to move areas. You are probably right and it wouldn't happen.

The club still have almost 3 years to work out a long term solution to the problems caused by having premium fan seats and corporate hospitality in one area.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think you will find the minimum price is £91.20 a month for gold seats, about £120 for the platinums

I might have left off the VAT. Either way it's a lot more than what the rest of the ground is paying

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Even if you're a millionaire you hate being ripped off and £19 for a plate of food is let alone £91 for a sit down meal, you have to wonder who thinks these things up and thinks that people are mug enough to pay it

That's true. Even if you're a corporate client you're looking for value for money - the Albion aren't the only organisation looking to cut costs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Email just received from club to all 1901 members: (The phrase papering over the cracks has never been more apt)

The club would like to thank the members that were able to attend the focus groups last week at such short notice.
We would also like to thank those members who unfortunately couldn't attend but were able to send us their thoughts by email. The feedback has been extremely valuable and constructive for the club.
Feedback from the focus group highlighted that members had contrasting views and expectations of their 1901 Club matchday experience. With this in mind we have introduced four tiers of hospitality which we believe will satisfy the vast majority of our members and offer flexible dining options.
We have altered the VIP package to include a fully inclusive bar facility (house wine, beer and soft drinks) and removed the half-bottle of wine and the corporate gift from this offer.
As before, both the VIP and Formal Dining packages will be available to pre-book in the Overline or Bupa lounges. To ensure we can deliver the best dining experience there will be a limited number of dining places available on a match-by-match or seasonal basis.
The four tiers now available to all 1901 Club members are as follows:
VIP Package (Overline & Bupa):
• Reserved table with pitch views
• Glass of sparkling wine on arrival
• Three-course meal with coffee prior to the match
• Inclusive bar (house wine, beer and soft drinks)
• Half-time tea and coffee
• Full-time cheese board, tea and coffee
Price: £79 + VAT per person
Formal Dining Experience (Overline & Bupa):
• Reserved table
• Three-course meal with coffee prior to the match
• Cash bar facility
• Half-time & full-time tea and coffee
Price: £59 + VAT per person
Buffet Option:
• Casual style seating
• No pre-booking required, diners can purchase on the day
Price: £14 (inc VAT) or £19 (inc VAT) per person
Pie or snack option to be purchased at the bar on the day.

I find it astonishing that for two years running they have called a focus group at short notice (that's one day!). If they really cared about people's opinion, surely they could organise something more long term.

Not really sure that the above makes any difference.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wasn't the "Focus (DIY) Group :lol: " limited to a certain number of attendees ? If the club want to gauge current opinions and potential solutions to the shortcomings they need to canvass all 1901ers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was thinking that. I don't know Phil personally and I'm sure he's a great bloke, but in the past on here I have sometimes been a bit irritated by his (as I see it) blindly pro-club stance on absolutely everything. (And in fairness I'm sure he's been irritated by me but that's NSC!) However if he's using words like 'shit' and saying he intends to boycott the food - well it MUST be bad.

Thanks for he comment, and yes, I may have come across a bit too pro-club, and I still will in some instances. However, this has left a huge sour taste in the mounth (no pun). I doubt you'll find me waxing lyrical much in the near future.

And, as a Newport County shirt sponsor, he's in a GOOD mood this week.

Well, you'd think, wouldn't you, my chap didn't even get a game! We did however meet the Honorary President, David Hando, of Newport County in the Overprice Lounge. He was club chairman for many years, like Dick Knight, he was the one who reformed the club after previous ownership ran the old club to liquidation. He was made honorary President some years ago and had a few interesting stories to tell.

He was expecting to be in the boardroom with the rest of the County directors, but he told us that he'd been told that the boardroom was for club directors only, and as Life President, he wasn't a director, but he could use the Overline Lounge. He was even given a ticket in the South Stand with the County fans, and told to make his way round there for the match which he wasn't too pleased about. I suggested there would be plenty of spaces in the WSM and indeed a decent steward found him a seat there. He was full of smiles at the final whistle as you'd expect.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wasn't the "Focus (DIY) Group :lol: " limited to a certain number of attendees ? If the club want to gauge current opinions and potential solutions to the shortcomings they need to canvass all 1901ers.

Indeed, it was limited to anyone who can be available on a work day within one day's notice, or anyone they had already given more notice to perhaps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you will find the minimum price is £91.20 a month for gold seats, about £120 for the platinums

And £150 for platinum plus

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I said on another thread, won't this sort itself out in a couple of years time anyway, when the tickets are jacked up to a proper 'corporate package' prices and the 5-year renewals start kicking in?

Out of interest what do you mean by a "proper corporate package"? Do you simply mean more expensive? If so Brighton has plenty of wealthy fans who will still take up the seats. As has been pointed out every 1901 member has a right to their seat. Even if the prices are hiked up I suspect seats will still be occupied by many fans as opposed to businesses....either the same ones or wealthier ones moving in on vacated seat licenses.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He was expecting to be in the boardroom with the rest of the County directors, but he told us that he'd been told that the boardroom was for club directors only, and as Life President, he wasn't a director, but he could use the Overline Lounge.

Not true, unless something changed this season.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Interesting reading this thread has made. It's pretty rare that EVERYONE is singing from the same sheet, but in this case. The viewpoint is the same for almost every person I've spoken to.

I'd like to take Paul Barber to the buffet. Make him walk up and say "I'll have a plate of chicken and rice please", hand over a £20 note, take a look at the plate in his left hand and the pound coin he's left with in his right, then look me in the eye and say "I am pleased with that Tom. That is a fair price for a good product. This is totally justifiable". He could not do it. Nobody can. It's a total and utter piss take. The fact is that at the moment. Every product (barring the pie) is outrageously overpriced.

• Give me £19 and I'll go to ANY Chinese/Indian takeaway in the country and come back with far higher quality and quantity of food than I get in there.
  • For £95 I could get a table at Gordon Ramsay's Flagship Restaurant in London and get a 3 course meal from the A la carte menu! (seriously)

Here's how I think the club should be selling catering in the 1901.

• Had dinner, but a bit of a greedy bugger? NO PROBLEMO. £5 Pies/Hot Baguettes/Crisps/Sweets.
  • No time for dinner? Got to shoot off to the footy? Just give us £10 and here, have this nice plate of hot decent grub. Lasagne, Shepheards Pie, Curry there's a bit of choice each week.
  • After something a bit fancy? Need to entertain a client or just treat yourself and some mates? Certainly sir. For £50 per person you can take a seat at a nice table and have a 3 course meal. Not everyone likes shit wine so you'll have to order the drinks yourselves.
  • Got some big important clients to entertain? Want that FINE DINING experience? Why not come over to our small CORPORATE LOUNGE. Unlike the FANS LOUNGE, there's a dresscode and everything is a bit more formal. We don't have any quizzes or compares because we know you'd like a bit of piece and time to talk business. It's £90 per person, but of course you get exceptional food and the wine is complimentary.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not true, unless something changed this season.

That's what he told me he was told. He cast a bit of a sorry spectacle, in his finest Newport County blazer and tie (as well as trousers, shoes, shirt etc), all his colleagues feasting on the boardroom fayre, whilst he was trying to get the person behind the bar to understand his Welsh accent while he had to order and pay for a lemonade. Is that the normal way football clubs treat visiting club presidents?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here