1901 Club food

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Something that surprises me, is that Sodexo seem to be using completely different staff to serve the food in the concourse kiosks, than those used by Azure and Lindley's. I was under the impression that most of the people they employ are just casual labour, earning a minimum wage, and not exactly 'employed' by the company at all. At least most of those used in the past had been there a while and were used to the system, could charge the right money, and give the correct amount of change quickly.

I think you may find that many of the staff who could charge the right money and give change quickly were students from the universities. As they are not back at uni just yet, we may have to wait a few weeks for them to return.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Programme / Parking Space / 'technical' ownership of your seat for the lifetime of the stadium / coffee at halftime / all first team games included not just league.

The parking space is pretty valuable, unless you were the 1901 member sat on the train next to me, or opposite me, or adjacent to me on the train last night. Maybe I should offer to drive them in so I can park in their spaces in future.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The parking space is pretty valuable, unless you were the 1901 member sat on the train next to me, or opposite me, or adjacent to me on the train last night. Maybe I should offer to drive them in so I can park in their spaces in future.

You could spend longer sitting in your car waiting to get out of the car park than walking, catching a train and then walking home from the station unless you are willing to hang around for at least an hour after the game finishes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You could spend longer sitting in your car waiting to get out of the car park than walking, catching a train and then walking home from the station unless you are willing to hang around for at least an hour after the game finishes.

Oh so true. Glad I'm back at the University this season........ If I ever get to park there, have been turned away twice so far!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Oh so true. Glad I'm back at the University this season........ If I ever get to park there, have been turned away twice so far!

Okay, so not a selling point then. The programme is worth 150 a season and the free coffee costs about 5p per cup for them. Do they serve it in bone china?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Waiting 30 minutes is hardly an issue is it? Why the rush?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Waiting 30 minutes is hardly an issue is it? Why the rush?

Did I say it was an issue? Just pointing out that the car park is not the place to be if you want to get away quickly although I hate hanging about when we have lost. I still prefer having the parking space because I live 20 mins walk from the nearest station and the other side of Worthing. If I lived more locally and was near a station I'd take the train every time.

Having said that I have been wound up on quite a few occasions getting out of the car park, usually because of the aggressive pushiness of people who get in their cars and just expect to barge into the queue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did I say it was an issue? Just pointing out that the car park is not the place to be if you want to get away quickly although I hate hanging about when we have lost. I still prefer having the parking space because I live 20 mins walk from the nearest station and the other side of Worthing. If I lived more locally and was near a station I'd take the train every time.

Having said that I have been wound up on quite a few occasions getting out of the car park, usually because of the aggressive pushiness of people who get in their cars and just expect to barge into the queue.

Fair point. My misunderstanding. Apologies. Have you considered switching to SU? Bit of a trek but you're out of the car park a lot quicker.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fair point. My misunderstanding. Apologies. Have you considered switching to SU? Bit of a trek but you're out of the car park a lot quicker.

Thanks I might investigate that, I don't mind a shortish walk to the car if I can leave a bit earlier when I want to.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Rumour has it they are bringing in a £72 (60 + vat menu) that is essentially just a massive price hike on last year. East Stand Brasserie not opening at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rumour has it they are bringing in a £72 (60 + vat menu) that is essentially just a massive price hike on last year. East Stand Brasserie not opening at all.

If the quality of the food dramatically improves then this could be justifiable with half a bottle of wein. But, it is totally dependent on a vast improvement in quality which I do not have confidence in Sodexo delivering.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If the quality of the food dramatically improves then this could be justifiable with half a bottle of wein. But, it is totally dependent on a vast improvement in quality which I do not have confidence in Sodexo delivering.

I had the £90er the other night (it was free) and I'm afraid there was no improvement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had the £90er the other night (it was free) and I'm afraid there was no improvement.

If this new 60+VAT meal is approximately the same deal and quality as last season, which is what you're are suggesting, I will be interested to hear the justification for the price increase.

PS Frau Tubthumper says hello to you and Mrs Merry Prankster.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If this new 60+VAT meal is approximately the same deal and quality as last season, which is what you're are suggesting, I will be interested to hear the justification for the price increase.

PS Frau Tubthumper says hello to you and Mrs Merry Prankster.

Just had it confirmed that that is just for 3 courses. The half time and full time pies/cakes etc have been withdrawn. So it's a lot less for a lot more. Big hello back to Frau Tub.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I treated myself to 1901 on the basis of the seats and the parking. I suppose I knew from the outset that 1901 would be based on a corporate philosophy and was pleased to find that the reality was entirely different from that with the majority of seats taken up by old school fans from days gone by who were after the same thing as me.
How, after two years, the club has simply not sussed this and adapted 1901 to suit is, quite simply, staggering.
Last night, I got there later than hoped and just before kick off after sitting on a train from London for nearly two hours and I was hoping to get some food at half time. Half time appears, the £19 plate of food 'buffet' has been cleared and my only option is to get in the bar queue and buy a pie. Is that honestly the best that 1901 can offer it's 'fans'?
The view from the seats can't be knocked, the parking is shite and I never use it, the food options are an expensive joke and the dress code is farcical.
The whole thing is an UTTER shambles.

Could have written this piece myself, I have to question what is the 1901 Club all about. Most of us in there are business men of varying levels and everyone can see the failings, except those running it. Last year I wrote to the club on this issue, a pie is ok, a three course meal is ok, but what about the middle ground where most of us are. Strangely we don't get many surveys on what we think. Its got a long way to go and you're so right, whats happened to the dress code?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Just had it confirmed that that is just for 3 courses. The half time and full time pies/cakes etc have been withdrawn. So it's a lot less for a lot more. Big hello back to Frau Tub.

There s going to be a lot of empty tables in the 1901 club this year, I suppose it'll be back to a thermos flask and sandwiches. I wonder where we are going to end up with this, I have six seats in the club, asking for this will make it a £450 for dinner, its so wrong its turning me against the club!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't really understand the 1901 club at all. And by that I don't mean I don't comprehend what the package involves (I do), I just don't think a) it is being used right as an area and b) why any proper 'fan' would want to be in there.

It is clearly intended and best used as a corporate area at corporate per head rates. Personally I hate the corporate experience at football and would never pay for it apart from maybe as a birthday or one-off (and have never done that).

But I accept it is a necessary evil of modern football and ambitious clubs, and accept the argument that if you make good money there you can almost subsidise other prices elsewhere. This makes sense to me, as long as that is the way the money is used.

Personally I think the prices and the quality of food and service should go UP in the 1901, to somewhere close to but a bit below what you would get in a box. And all the diehard fans in there at the moment paying their £50 a match or whatever should go and sit somewhere else.

I think this would be a better use of the facility, for the good of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports