Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Sorry, dragonred, but I started to try and read that and almost lost the will to live after a couple of lines.

Nothing to do with the point you're trying to make but you might want to space the sentences out a bit more next time.

Can't you handle 167 word sentences? You're weak.

Drangonreds comment of 'the present set up is unlikely to change as peoples mindsets at the club are fixed as to what is 'right' despite the clear evidence of unhappiness all around them' is concerning. Things go wrong, mistakes are made and decisions are misguided, that's just life. Successful businesses identify these and alter, change or reverse them in a flash. Bad businesses fail to identify them or ignore them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Successful businesses identify these and alter, change or reverse them in a flash. Bad businesses fail to identify them or ignore them.

Bad businesses go bust normally as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The catering is incredibly important at the Amex for all sorts of reasons, but one of them is that the entire transport plan hinges on the fact that people arrive early and leave late. If Sodexo continue to balls this up - in all areas of the ground - the ramifications will be immense.

Yes very true, but l well remember identical comments being made two years ago when the Amex first opened its doors, Azure held the catering license then, and exactly the same mistakes were made then. but gradually things came together and settled down. Lets hope the same thing happens this time.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Yes very true, but l well remember identical comments being made two years ago when the Amex first opened its doors, Azure held the catering license then, and exactly the same mistakes were made then. but gradually things came together and settled down. Lets hope the same thing happens this time.

Things only got properly better when Lindleys took over. If the club really gave a shit about us, they would have kept these guys on even if Sodexo were offering a little more cash up front during the tender process.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Something that surprises me, is that Sodexo seem to be using completely different staff to serve the food in the concourse kiosks, than those used by Azure and Lindley's. I was under the impression that most of the people they employ are just casual labour, earning a minimum wage, and not exactly 'employed' by the company at all. At least most of those used in the past had been there a while and were used to the system, could charge the right money, and give the correct amount of change quickly.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Azure never settled down, they were shit at the start, and they remained shit till they were hoofed out, they seemed to have their own agenda, which they were rightly told to stick where the sun don't shine, they tried to get rid of Harveys, Piglets etc from day one. Lindleys seemed to be a bit better, the food certaily improved in the profile lounge, as did the service, sort of. I guess they just didn't want the contract enough to make a good enough bid for it, maybe they could see it was not worth the hassle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Azure never settled down, they were shit at the start, and they remained shit till they were hoofed out, they seemed to have their own agenda, which they were rightly told to stick where the sun don't shine, they tried to get rid of Harveys, Piglets etc from day one. Lindleys seemed to be a bit better, the food certaily improved in the profile lounge, as did the service, sort of. I guess they just didn't want the contract enough to make a good enough bid for it, maybe they could see it was not worth the hassle.

You effectively had two Azures - the one based at the stadium, including Elliott, who had an appreciation of what Brighton fans wanted (he is one himself) - and often fought with head office. Then there was the corporate Azure, the one based in Macclesfield who hated the concept of what Piglet's pies and Harvey's stood for, and only wanted to serve the kind of food and drink which hadn't been asked for - at the same price.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The poor girls behind the buffet....They are walking around our lounge GIVING bowls of the curry away for FREE as they haven't had ONE customer! That's not one customer willing to pay £19 for one plate.

On a side note I am currently at the bar and asked for one appletiser and one guiness. I got given one coke and one appletiser. When he eventually poured my Guiness he left it standing behind bar (down by the sink on the other side), walked off and served other groups so I had to reach down and grab it myself!

I agree, poor staff being asked to flog the curry at such a ridiculous rate. No Brandy behind the bar last night, no steak pies, dropped underneath and got pies immediately. I am starting to question what the 1901 actually offers. Wheres the middle ground between a pie and a three course meal? there is more choice in the east stand lower. Its time this mess is sorted out as it is becoming a joke to all members, friends of members and clients of memebers!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Not even sure what the appeal is for 1901. You get a difference entrance from the riff raff. The seats are good, but you could easily sit a few rows lower in the common seats with practically the same view. You still end up going downstairs for pies and other food.....

Or am I missing something?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not even sure what the appeal is for 1901. You get a difference entrance from the riff raff. The seats are good, but you could easily sit a few rows lower in the common seats with practically the same view. You still end up going downstairs for pies and other food.....

Or am I missing something?

Drinks in proper glasses, with more choice.

A lift.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Something that surprises me, is that Sodexo seem to be using completely different staff to serve the food in the concourse kiosks, than those used by Azure and Lindley's. I was under the impression that most of the people they employ are just casual labour, earning a minimum wage, and not exactly 'employed' by the company at all. At least most of those used in the past had been there a while and were used to the system, could charge the right money, and give the correct amount of change quickly.

Has it got anything to do with reducing labour costs ? NMW for 18-20 yr olds will be £5.03 in October and adults will be on £6.31. A company wouldn't want too many regular casuals staying on for a couple of years and progressing from one pay rate to a higher one.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can't you handle 167 word sentences? You're weak.

Drangonreds comment of 'the present set up is unlikely to change as peoples mindsets at the club are fixed as to what is 'right' despite the clear evidence of unhappiness all around them' is concerning. Things go wrong, mistakes are made and decisions are misguided, that's just life. Successful businesses identify these and alter, change or reverse them in a flash. Bad businesses fail to identify them or ignore them.

The bean counters need to take the blinkers off. The club needs to canvass all the 1901ers on what they want. Adapt to Survive.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do you know what's funny. I hate reading your absolute tosh on here, I really do. I can't say anything that will piss you off, or suddently turn you into a useful poster.

But what I can do is take heart from this one thing:

No matter how short and annoying your post on a thread is.
No matter how irrelivant or provocative.
No matter how offensive.
No matter how BORING.

You, at the end of every single post, have to type the word "regards", press Enter, hold shift and then type "DR" before clicking submit. All just for your EGO.
That must be WEEEEEEELL annoying - and to think you've had to do that nearly 11,000 times makes me happy.

Best Wishes,
Thomas
Hope you feel better for that.
Whats this got to do with 1901?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What the ****!?

Right, I know it's unrealistic to compare and all that but...

Got taken to the posh seats at Old Trafford by a client for the United v Chelsea FA Cup game last season, first time I'd ever done the whole lounge thing.

Arrived two hours early, free glass of red on arrival, roast pork buffet which was top restaurant quality whilst watching the other FA Cup match that was on that day, can't remember what it was. They even give you this posh Man United bag with a programme and a little glass lasered memento thing with the date of the fixture and the opponent on it. It's pretty tacky, but it's a lot more unique than a ****ing season review.

Then ordered beers for half-time, went to the seats (there's even baskets of sweets as you go to your seat, munched on Drumsticks throughout the whole game), watched first-half, go back down to lounge and beers are there ready on the table. Down pints, watch first-half highlights and back out. You can then order drinks for full-time but I almost found myself disliking United less so decided not to. Staff were mainly local Mancs which was nice, considering I was in a room full of cockneys.

I know that's definitely a lot more expensive and established, but if we provided something like that, people WOULD pay for it.

To be fair comparing us with man united is laughable. We are playing at this whereas they are 100% serious

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The bean counters need to take the blinkers off. The club needs to canvass all the 1901ers on what they want. Adapt to Survive.

Whole heartedly agree. I hate writing this but i am glad that we didn't go for the 1901; although personal circumstances have changed financially there is now only half of what attracted me to the seats originally; the food, service, view and the lounge. So even if i could afford it and the opportunity arose i would really think twice about it. Which i think is testament to both the lack of delivery on what is expected and how bad the rep is now in the lounges.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
I did consider 1901 but decided against. Many are making the assumption that we will be promoted to the PL but what would happen to corporate/1901 if we get relegated? Around 8400 at the game last night.......a possible taste!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here