Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The bottom line is that the club do not, and cannot ever have, a true corporate seating area. They cannot re-configure the seating so they should accept 1901 for what it is and provide products accordingly. In all fairness Azure were almost there with the balance and range of product, it was the quality which let them down. They always had a healthy number of diners, the price was sensible, and the remainder was pies, crisps, baguettes and pie and mash etc. This current lot do not seem to have any clue about their customers.

Probably the most succinct comment made on this, and one the club could do well to take note of. Sadly, the responses to my emails on this matter have been very much of the “like it or lump” it nature.

Jan 30, 2008
i mentioned to paul rogers that the buffet wasn't exactly popular. I got the impression that the club is really struggling to get the mix right between providing for the corporates and genuine fans.

£19 is hilarious though.
corporates, biggest downfall in football history :angry:
regards
DR

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The bottom line is that the club do not, and cannot ever have, a true corporate seating area. They cannot re-configure the seating so they should accept 1901 for what it is and provide products accordingly. In all fairness Azure were almost there with the balance and range of product, it was the quality which let them down. They always had a healthy number of diners, the price was sensible, and the remainder was pies, crisps, baguettes and pie and mash etc. This current lot do not seem to have any clue about their customers.

Very good point.

At the "focus group" the other day I was discussing this with some of the team. I said that the only way they would ever really make this work is if someone had big enough balls to force a reconfiguration of the 1901. There was a kind of shocked agreement with this (shocked that a1901 member could think and say this) and resigned recognisation that testicles of this magnitude are very, very rare.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very good point.

At the "focus group" the other day I was discussing this with some of the team. I said that the only way they would ever really make this work is if someone had big enough balls to force a reconfiguration of the 1901. There was a kind of shocked agreement with this (shocked that a1901 member could think and say this) and resigned recognisation that testicles of this magnitude are very, very rare.

I guess the club would have to buy back all the seat licenses in a specific area if they wanted to create a true corporate area and lounge? Or facilitate a swop of licenses between fans and business types? Very difficult as the power is with the current license holder. With a bit of imagination the current system can work for everyone but there has to be acceptance of the 1901 for what it currently is and probably always will be.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Bought a big bag of cheese nibbles in the 99p shop in London Road, pint of Harveys in The East Lower, happy as larry.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Considering Sodexo are professional caterers, the feedback here as to their performance is absolutely shocking. You can perhaps allow for a degree of leaway being as this was only the second game. But frankly, I'd expect a company who's business is catering, to be well capable of setting themselves up at a sporting venue and providing a decent level of service pretty much from the off. Its what they're bloody THERE for, thats why its outsourced ! But there seems to be so much fundamentally flawed with their operation right now, from the lack of training, the delivery, the poor quality of food in relation to pricing, the staff barely being able to comprehend what they are being asked for etc etc. And this is at a couple of meaningless low-key games well under half capacity. What its going to be like on Saturday with 30k there I shudder to think.

Sodexo can't be fundamentally crap at what they do, otherwise they wouldn't be such a big successful company. They've been brought in as the caterers at high profile events like Ascot and The Open, where they have to set up and provide a decent service from the off. So why are they nousing it up so spectacularly here ??

Just seen this...

http://www.sodexoprestige-englandandwales.co.uk/news/Sodexo-nets-five-year-Seagulls-deal/

Jeremy Dicks, managing director of Sodexo Prestige Sport & Leisure, said: “A joint vision with Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club is at the heart of our partnership. We would like create a perfect match between Sodexo and the club, with a fan-centric approach, inspired by the energetic community spirit, which is evident on both match day and non match day. We share the club’s ambition to create a place that is simply the best experience in Brighton and Hove.

Simon Williams, Albion’s head of commercial development, said: “We undertook a comprehensive tendering process and were extremely excited by Sodexo Prestige’s innovation and attention to detail".

Hmmmm.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I made a formal suggestion to the club regarding a 1901 committee with members having an input into the club, etc, and was told that it was totally unworkable to have a committee in 1901 and that it would not be considered.

It strikes me that the time for it to be an official committee is perhaps passing and the time for a lobby group is edging closer.

Elsewhere in this thread someone mentions an expected price hike at the end of the five years. I wouldn't be surpirsed if by then we are in the premiership if they double it, because they will be comparing corporate seats at Old Trafford, Emirates etc.

I suspect what we as a group of 1901ers want is a a better fan experience, but what the club want is a proper corporate expereince because when the time comes they can charge through the nose for it. At that stage the proper fans, which currently make up 80% of 1901 will be priced out to be replaced by the corporates. It may be that at that stage they chose to have different tiers of 1901, if not a lot fans will be very pissed off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It strikes me that the time for it to be an official committee is perhaps passing and the time for a lobby group is edging closer.

Elsewhere in this thread someone mentions an expected price hike at the end of the five years. I wouldn't be surpirsed if by then we are in the premiership if they double it, because they will be comparing corporate seats at Old Trafford, Emirates etc.

I suspect what we as a group of 1901ers want is a a better fan experience, but what the club want is a proper corporate expereince because when the time comes they can charge through the nose for it. At that stage the proper fans, which currently make up 80% of 1901 will be priced out to be replaced by the corporates. It may be that at that stage they chose to have different tiers of 1901, if not a lot fans will be very pissed off.

The club already has different tiers of 1901 and given there are so many 1901ers (is it 6000?) they will have to price it reasonably as there isn't a ready queue of replacements. I do worry though, as Barber seems so fixated on numbers I worry he has taken his eye off everything else.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It is pretty mental that they can balls it up so spectacularly.

I honestly think that most people in this thread could step in tomorrow and run it at a profit with half decent customer satisfaction, having had no previous catering experience.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The club already has different tiers of 1901 and given there are so many 1901ers (is it 6000?) they will have to price it reasonably as there isn't a ready queue of replacements. I do worry though, as Barber seems so fixated on numbers I worry he has taken his eye off everything else.

Exactly this. I firmly get the impression that above a certain level of management they are only interested in numbers and not customer experience/happiness. Incredibly short sighted and it will turn round an bite them in the arse. By the time the customer dissatisfaction really affects the bottom line they will have a near impossible job to win back the goodwill that once was so much in abundance.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Based on previous form, Barber will be looking to maiximising 1901 so that he can double the prices in three years time. To be able to pay that he will want it full of corporates not fans. To do this though I suspect they would need to find a way to reduce the corporate 1901 to maybe 500-1000, with the rest being more of a secondary premier season ticket. Arguably at the momentthey already have that with the platinum and gold thing, but I suspect there is a misbalance of corporates in the wrong category.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I made a formal suggestion to the club regarding a 1901 committee with members having an input into the club, etc, and was told that it was totally unworkable to have a committee in 1901 and that it would not be considered.

If the 1901 members wanted to form their own committee, what can the club can do about it? It's not for the club to determine whether is 'workable'.

Of course, having a committee is one thing, whether the club would recognise it as a voicepiece is another thing entirely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Based on previous form, Barber will be looking to maiximising 1901 so that he can double the prices in three years time. To be able to pay that he will want it full of corporates not fans. To do this though I suspect they would need to find a way to reduce the corporate 1901 to maybe 500-1000, with the rest being more of a secondary premier season ticket. Arguably at the momentthey already have that with the platinum and gold thing, but I suspect there is a misbalance of corporates in the wrong category.

But how will they do this? Each and every 1901 seat has a license which the seat holder owns so no reconfiguration of the seating can occur. The cannot simply say "this seating section is now corporate." The club is legally obliged to offer each 1901 seat to the current license owner for the next 48 years if they have a life-time membership.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the 1901 members wanted to form their own committee, what can the club can do about it? It's not for the club to determine whether is 'workable'.

Of course, having a committee is one thing, whether the club would recognise it as a voicepiece is another thing entirely.

If the 1901-ers took it upon themselves to form a committee aimed at raising concerns at the standards on offer, the club would be unwise to ignore it.

Dealing with a stream of individual grizzles and complaints are part and parcel of running any kind of large operation. But if there was a unified approach by 1901 members, perhaps a couple of appointed 1901 reps to meet with the club and someone from Sodexo say on a monthly basis or every couple of months maybe, to present the concerns on the members behalf, with follow-ups on whatever was raised previously, then maybe things would improve.

Establishing a structured approach and regular dialogue would be the way forward. As you say though, whether the club would be prepared to do that or not would remain to be seen. Pretty poor form if they didn't though, cos as we can see from these regular threads, this looks like it could be a major problem.

Jan 30, 2008
some of the 1901 egos have taken a battering , shame that , AS IV'E SAID BEFORE, EVER GET THE FEELING YOU'RE GETTING MUGGED OFF :lolol:
regards
DR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But how will they do this? Each and every 1901 seat has a license which the seat holder owns so no reconfiguration of the seating can occur. The cannot simply say "this seating section is now corporate." The club is legally obliged to offer each 1901 seat to the current license owner for the next 48 years if they have a life-time membership.

I would suggest that we watch very carefully any new terms and conditions that are distributed in the next couple of years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would suggest that we watch very carefully any new terms and conditions that are distributed in the next couple of years.

The T&Cs for the license are set. There is wriggle room in some areas but the club's obligation to offer the same seat is cast iron. After all, this is the whole reason for the PSL.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
some of the 1901 egos have taken a battering , shame that , AS IV'E SAID BEFORE, EVER GET THE FEELING YOU'RE GETTING MUGGED OFF :lolol:
regards
DR

Actually 1901 was never an ego thing for any of us, well not most of us anyway, and would I do it again, yes I would. For me it was the best seat in the house, I got a parking space so my elderly father could go to games more easily, and the rest of the nonsense was irrelevant to me.

And also CURRENTLY it reasonable value, given the number of cup games etc that have been added into it plus programmes, plus free tea etc, and the parking space it works out for well for my gold membership.

However I still recognise it is a shambles,a nd the lack of football food is a problem, oddly enough it got better last season with more standard fair on offer, but that has now gone backwards again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here