Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club cost cutting

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
I think I must have been lucky last night - I took 3 clients to the Profile, got there at 5.30, and our waiter couldn't have been more attentive and helpful, if a bit inexperienced. We were constantly asked when we would like our courses, if we wanted more drinks, whether everything was ok..........and it was. The food was fine (by our standards!), drinks arrived promptly, coffee served as we arrived back at half-time, ordered drinks were on the table. I didn't notice how many hostesses there were, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to do apart from tell you what table you're on? Clients thought it was great, we left about 10.30 having had a really enjoyable evening.

Just thought I'd better give credit where it is due........I don't eat there that often, but I've never had a terrible experience, as I said above maybe I've been lucky.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Re HTs comment about the reduction in hostesses, I am not impressed and will feed this back to the club. Whether this can be pinned on Azure or not I don't know as they are not Azure or club employees.

freelance?

what sort of hostess services do they provide exactly? :lol:

edit: I see that Albion Roar this Saturday have someone called Stu Lamming (head of retail catering at the amex) as a guest and are inviting questions

Last edited:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
freelance?

what sort of hostess services do they provide exactly? :lol:

I am not entirely sure. As far as I can ascertain it basically involves looking pretty and massaging the egos of middle aged men by pretending to find them fascinating and amusing.

Which is fine by me.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Three of our group had the food at the Liverpool game, it wasn't fit to serve to a monkey pen in a zoo, they complained, and were given two complimentary meals at a future game. they were told that two is the maximum number of comps that were allowed to be given in the instance of a complaint! I think therein lies the problem with Azure, for all the posturing that they are oh-so experienced, they simply are not, at least in Sussex they are not. We are also aware that Tony Bloom has also given them a rocket, but nothing seems to get through to them.

Whenever I have expressed my concern to Azure,I never get a response, unless I contact Elliot Moore directly. If you approcah the club, similar, you rarely get a reply. Myself and the 4 others in our little group are basically enjoying the surroundings, the bar and the view, but we won't be partaking in Azures food offer until we hear massive things about how it has improved.

With respect, I think you are being very unfair here. The Liverpool game was the notorious low point of the Azure experience that prompted me to write them a first class stinker of a letter. One which they freely admit was a total disaster. The food has improved immeasurably since that awful night. I would say that it is now about as good as mass catering gets. It's not fine dining and it's never going to be (and should never have been promised as such) but its pretty good (I eat it every game). The service is hit and miss. At best it is charmingly just about competent, at worst it's completely inept. They clearly have problems with staff turnover and training which may well be insurmountable.

Don't know what the point of that is other than to say it might be time to give a meal another go.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't know what the point of that is other than to say it might be time to give a meal another go.

Fair enough HT, i might just give it a go, once I hear there is a chance it wont be lamb shanks again (the cheapest cut of meat, and one you can't overcook?) My point was more about the handling of the situation, offering 2 free meals to the 3 people who had complained, just inept, and I don't feel that side of what they are doing is improving.

I still can't bear bar staff who hand over pints by gripping over the top of the glass, this was basic training when i worked in a pub, an almost a sackable offence if we failed to observe it. they still don't seem able to operate the till, give them a smart card and they freak. On Tuesday we had to wait for a barman to come from the other bar to show the staff how to ring up what we had ordered (2 drinks and a pie).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I know a couple of people who are part of a group that brought several Platinum 1901 seats with the intention of seat sharing and using the 1901 dining for entertaining themselves, friends and clients (some have their own businesses). I believe all are long serving active Albion fans.
The general vibe is that they feel conned by the club's pre sale 1901 hype. The catering (sold as 'fine dining'!) is so poor/such poor value that they have all stopped using it and often meet elsewhere for lunch (including ironically an Italian near Withdean!) and would never take a 'client' that they wanted to impress anywhere near. There are various other gripes but 99% seem to be about the catering 'experience'.
I think it would be fair to say that they love the club, love the stadium and if they had brought ordinary season tickets they would be chuffed to bits. However they collectively paid a great deal extra for something that was promised and is patently not been delivered and hence are somewhat pissed off

Very worrying comments.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I still can't bear bar staff who hand over pints by gripping over the top of the glass, this was basic training when i worked in a pub, an almost a sackable offence if we failed to observe it. they still don't seem able to operate the till, give them a smart card and they freak. On Tuesday we had to wait for a barman to come from the other bar to show the staff how to ring up what we had ordered (2 drinks and a pie).

Completely agree with this. Many of them do give the impression it's their first week on the job.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough HT, i might just give it a go, once I hear there is a chance it wont be lamb shanks again (the cheapest cut of meat, and one you can't overcook?) My point was more about the handling of the situation, offering 2 free meals to the 3 people who had complained, just inept, and I don't feel that side of what they are doing is improving.

It was not me but I do not mind being mistaken for the lovely Merry Prankster and I do echo his comments.

I now feel a little churlish as my originally planned semi-tongue in cheek thread has now developed into another Azure catering thread which was not my intention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not entirely sure. As far as I can ascertain it basically involves looking pretty and massaging the egos of middle aged men by pretending to find them fascinating and amusing.

Which is fine by me.

Exactly.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did 1901 for the first time on Tuesday. Booked a meal in Mezzanine Gold South. The food and service was top notch. Not something I would do regularly but took my Mum (who is 73) for an evening out and we both had a great time, but prefer our usual seats in the WSU with our mates.

The meal was £34 and I thought it was pretty good value. 3 course meal and all 3 courses were good, a nice pie at half time and shortbread and cream after the game.

You get asked for feedback after each meal so mine was all positive, I hope people who are not happy are letting them know directly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I must have been lucky last night - I took 3 clients to the Profile, got there at 5.30, and our waiter couldn't have been more attentive and helpful, if a bit inexperienced. We were constantly asked when we would like our courses, if we wanted more drinks, whether everything was ok..........and it was. The food was fine (by our standards!), drinks arrived promptly, coffee served as we arrived back at half-time, ordered drinks were on the table. I didn't notice how many hostesses there were, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to do apart from tell you what table you're on? Clients thought it was great, we left about 10.30 having had a really enjoyable evening.

Just thought I'd better give credit where it is due........I don't eat there that often, but I've never had a terrible experience, as I said above maybe I've been lucky.

Since the Liverpool game this has been my experience as well.

On the subject of nice food I'm off to the Ginger Pig for my lunch mmmMMMMM.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Which is fine by me.

massaging egos............................................................. right :lol:

Theone1

Feb 16, 2012

Which is fine by me.

They're paid double what any of the bar staff/kiosk staff/waitresses are paid an hour. No wonder they're cheery!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here