Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £19.6 million

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It'll be a lot more than 40. Mate and I were discussing this on Thursday after OM took over the East Sussex Golf Club hotel. We reckon on the following for BHA-
25+ players
10+ manager & staff
15+ backroom staff (kit etc)
25+ fan support staff at ticket office & ground.
3+ Tony Bloom (he may stay elsewhere and pay his own way)
The playing staff all fly out on the Tuesday and return on the Thursday after the match I believe.
The fan support staff fly out on the Wednesday morning also returning Thursday post match.
There are also trips in advance to check the hotel, ground and ticketing details.
For the home games there's the loss of advertising revenue (do we get a percentage of the UEL adverts?), extra police and stewards and the loss of 100's of seats. Away fans get charged a maximum 40€ for a ticket, which is handy as that's more than the STH price.

MORE IMPORTANT
Is the cost to us fans. Mine is somewhere around £2800 but includes a week in Athens with the wife. And worth every Euro I've spent.
Strange choice of words for our owner.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
The players are the ones we pay to see.
If we pay to see the players we’d more likely all go to see Man C. We don’t, we go to see BHAFC. They’re the ones who should get a bigger cut of the income rather than the players. But I’m a believer in the market and that dictates salaries so we have to suck it up.

Reactions: cjd

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we pay to see the players we’d more likely all go to see Man C. We don’t, we go to see BHAFC. They’re the ones who should get a bigger cut of the income rather than the players. But I’m a believer in the market and that dictates salaries so we have to suck it up.
That doesn't make sense. If the money doesn't go to the players, who do you think should be the beneficiary? Are you saying the shareholders should get the lionshare because as much as we love what TB has done, I doubt he is looking at this as a financial investment. When there was a maximum wage, owners were probably creaming money out of the game. It beggars belief that some think the money should go to owners rather than the players which we go and watch.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
That doesn't make sense. If the money doesn't go to the players, who do you think should be the beneficiary? Are you saying the shareholders should get the lionshare because as much as we love what TB has done, I doubt he is looking at this as a financial investment. When there was a maximum wage, owners were probably creaming money out of the game. It beggars belief that some think the money should go to owners rather than the players which we go and watch.
I take your point, but I just think if it were a little more balanced, we’d have stronger clubs all the way down the leagues.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Plus gate receipts, hospitality, merchandise, advertising, sponsorship etc I’d imagine it’s way higher than that?

There would be the profit from at least 4 sold out home games too. Did I read somewhere that a sold out home game clears about £1m profit for BHA?
Yes. Matchday income from last available set of accounts (21-22) showed average matchday income of 1m per game. Presumably this figure includes all hospitality and extra sponsorship.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whatever profit we make this season - and it’s going to be well in excess of 100m - I think it’s fair enough that a chunk of it goes back to the man that has provided the interest-free finance to get here in the first place.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
That’s the sum earned by the Albion to date from the Europa League

£3.1m participation fee
£4.5m prize money
£1.8m UEFA coefficient
£10.2m TV pool
That’s the sum earned by the Albion to date from the Europa League

£3.1m participation fee
£4.5m prize money
£1.8m UEFA coefficient
£10.2m TV pool

I can never work out how they apply players sales to revenue but with the extra home games, prize money and big money player sales could our turnover be in the region of 300 plus million this year?

I think in a normal year we turnover something like 170 million

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok, let's say we take 240 staff at 4 grand a head. It's still less than million a trip, leaving us with a healthy profit.
Don’t think it would be anywhere near £4k per head. Support staff cost would be similar to fan travel…….flight, hotel, meals (and overtime)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Assume there would be extra costs for player apperances and associated bonuses
Plus having a bigger playing squad, and as points mean prizes the places dropped by post Europe malaise will add to a few million.
I seem to recall dullard previously explaining that you don't really make anything unless you win it and get that champions league gravy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can never work out how they apply players sales to revenue but with the extra home games, prize money and big money player sales could our turnover be in the region of 300 plus million this year?

I think in a normal year we turnover something like 170 million
We’ve made around 180m in sales so far this year, mostly on Caicedo, Mac and Sanchez. The book value of all 3 would’ve been no more than about 3-4m in total, so that’s nearly all profit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whatever profit we make this season - and it’s going to be well in excess of 100m - I think it’s fair enough that a chunk of it goes back to the man that has provided the interest-free finance to get here in the first place.
The hard part is getting him to accept it.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We’ve made around 180m in sales so far this year, mostly on Caicedo, Mac and Sanchez. The book value of all 3 would’ve been no more than about 3-4m in total, so that’s nearly all profit.

I

Don't they do something weird like divide the figures by the number if years of contract when it hits the top line?? Or is that just for players purchased?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don’t think it would be anywhere near £4k per head. Support staff cost would be similar to fan travel…….flight, hotel, meals (and overtime)
Was going to say. I wouldn’t mind being on a work trip that resulted in a 4K expense bill for just 2 nights!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I

Don't they do something weird like divide the figures by the number if years of contract when it hits the top line?? Or is that just for players purchased?
That’s the amortisation. Take Mac: He was bought for approx 8m in Jan 2019 on a 4.5 y deal, so value amortises by 1.8m per year. This means his book value when he signed a new deal in late 2022 was 2.6m. That will have amortised down to about 2m by the time he was sold 6 months later. Therefor the profit is the sale price (£40m??) minus 2m - ie vast majority of transfer income is profit.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
beyond hotels and support staff, there are some other pretty significant costs, the team are travelling on a privatey chartered aircraft. Theyre somewhere in region of 15-20k an hour...... return to Athens, up to 140K (except Dunk whose 200 quid on Wizzair!)

Club should still turn a profit just for being there/performace, but its the wider effect on the fans and those seeing Brighton for the first time, new european eyes on the club/potential sponsors etc thats bigger reward.

We may have got more cash in the CL, but EL imho is the perfect fit for our first adventure, we're competitive, we've beaten big/famous european clubs, its the adventure of our Albion supporting lives, including super fan Tony Bloom all of which is priceless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here