Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

16 Things We Learnt this weekend after the draw with Charlton

By contrast LI, your specs are always doom-tinted. I'm not sure if it is to try to demonstrate to us inferior beings that you undertsand the game that bit better than us all, but you will always take the anti-Albion standpoint, in every such debate.

We had TWENTY attempts at goal. Charlton had FOUR. Fair play to Charlton for defending well, and for making the most of their clear chances, but of course we should have won. Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

"Anti-Albion?" And that's how to be a footballing McCarthyite :lol: This is a harmless football discussion, try to stop taking your self-loathing out on me, you look a bit ridiculous

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not for me - possession stats are a relatively meaningless indicator if a team scores early and opts to defend deep and counterattack. That's not domination, that's actually Charlton's tactics dictating play. They would be happy with their efforts, in open play they nullified us and Peeters would be entitled to think his team could defend corners better next time.

Nullified us?!?

Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 11.49.22.png

Teams that deserve to win tend not to start time wasting after fifteen minutes.

We'd do the same. One of the funniest things I ever saw was Michel taking about two minutes to take a goal-kick at Walsall! A draw was the right result on Saturday

I think so - after the two really good chances by Tex and Colunga early on, the chances were not high quality - you think they were? A key feature of the game for me was things did not really click in the front 3. Question mark over CMS and Tex/Colunga will show better quality

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Anti-Albion?" And that's how to be a footballing McCarthyite :lol: This is a harmless football discussion, try to stop taking your self-loathing out on me, you look a bit ridiculous

I'm not suggesting for one second that you ARE 'anti' the Albion. Far from it.

What I'm saying is that in such debates, you will ALWAYS take the viewpoint as far from what could be considered 'blue-tinted' as possible. I was just pondering the reason for that, that's all.

I'm afraid I don't understand your point about 'self-loathing'. I'm sure its ever so clever though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think so - after the two really good chances by Tex and Colunga early on, the chances were not high quality - you think they were? A key feature of the game for me was things did not really click in the front 3. Question mark over CMS and Tex/Colunga will show better quality

So you've highlighted two 'really good chances'. Free headers on the six yard line are pretty good chances, aren't they? So that's four. What about when Tex got goal side of Bikey with just the keeper to beat, and tried to square it to Colunga? Decent chance? So that's FIVE.

Charlton had two. The second goal and a free header right at the end from Bikey, who really should have buried us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I didn't say we were flush with high quality chances, but I'd heavily dispute that Charlton successfully nullified us.

We certainly didn't have enough fluidity in the final third but that's to be expected given the relatively short period of time the players concerned have been together. That was probably CMS's chance on Saturday and I'm not sure he took it. I would expect Baldock to be in for him at Brentford.

(I agree on the time-wasting point though - all teams do it, including us.)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We'd do the same. One of the funniest things I ever saw was Michel taking about two minutes to take a goal-kick at Walsall! A draw was the right result on Saturday

(I agree on the time-wasting point though - all teams do it, including us.)

All teams time waste. Not many start doing it so blatantly with over 70 minutes still to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here