Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 15 yr school girl stabbed to death Croydon

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree , it’s a very specific age group as well and a certain way of dressing as well . Make people think twice about carrying knives because there is a much higher chance they will get caught .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It may appear that knife crime deaths are now out of control, but its probably wise to factor in the spread of awareness. It is far more likely now (compared to years ago) knife death news will reach a wider audience as the public spread awareness and campaigns against knife crime on social media, these campaigns and the loss publicly portrayed by the relatives of victims is then more likely to be picked up by local news organisations and then nationally especially where a young person is involved and the waste of life is more profound. The internet is awash with videos of idiots brandishing knives, all which adds to the public perception its lawless out there.

Shocking and senseless as any knife crime is, don’t be scared into believing the world has gone to pot overnight

knife crime stats.jpg

To me it's all in the data. Look at who are likely to be the perpetrators of knife crime in terms of age / sex / ethnic group and apply the same in terms of the victims. So for example if the demographic indicates white males between the age of 16-25 are likely to be the victims and perpetrators of knife crime operate a vigorous stop and search policy between certain hours of this demographic, back it up with a campaign explaining why you are doing this and surely the inconvenience to anyone who falls into this category is worth it if it saves lives. Surely sensible Policing is all about targeting the most likely perpetrators of knife crime.
Have you been following any of the headlines about the Met this year

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yea I think they said on Sky news this morning she was standing up for a friend and got stabbed.

What ever the details, this is a very sad storey and makes me worry for my younger kids.

There are kids as young as 11 carrying knifes in Eastbourne copying their older brothers.

What has happened to a simple straightner, then shaking hands and becoming friends.
There is this thing called 'disrespect'. Apparently among certain groups it is the worst thing that can happen to someone, worse than cancer, and if it happens it has to be corrected by whatever means, up to and including death.

It is difficult to know how to dismantle this belief system, but this needs to be the narrative, not 'it is wrong/bad/dangerous' to carry a knife. By the time they are carrying a knife it has all gone too disrespecty far.

Think about it. You take flowers to woo back a GF who has dumped you. And you take a machete to kill her if she rebuffs (and therefore disrespects) you.

It is entirely logical in that belief system. Murder and prison trump disrespect. Think about that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed I have, but that's an aside to knife crime. Don't you see that targeting those most likely to cause knife crime makes perfect common sense?
As others have noted, if we could trust the met to go about their business appropriately, i.e. not treat the targetting of black youth as a gleeful opportunity to be obnoxiously racist, yes, this would make sense.

I refer you (yet again) to Swamp 81.

Know your history. Policing and society are not abstract theoretical constructs.

(I am surprised nobody has come along to ask 'what about the parents?')

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Feeble comment.

Unsurprised you find it all so amusing.
It’s not meant to be glib . I do think Guardian readers are far too quick to look for excuses about crime and why it happens rather than look for firm action.

We all know there’s numerous reasons why teenagers walk about with knifes and the whole gang culture thing but making excuses about why the police shouldn’t take firm action with stop and search and using more statistical based info to try to reduce this serious issue is not the best way forward in my view.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As others have noted, if we could trust the met to go about their business appropriately, i.e. not treat the targetting of black youth as a gleeful opportunity to be obnoxiously racist, yes, this would make sense.

I refer you (yet again) to Swamp 81.

Know your history. Policing and society are not abstract theoretical constructs.

(I am surprised nobody has come along to ask 'what about the parents?')
That obviously shouldn’t happen and no one. condones that type of behaviour but that’s not an excuse to not ramp up stop and search .

Knife crime & murder are far more serious than an officer being racist to someone. That’s not excusing racism but horrible words are not the same as sticking a knife in someone . Guardian readers seem to think racism trumps everything, it doesn’t .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s not meant to be glib . I do think Guardian readers are far too quick to look for excuses about crime and why it happens rather than look for firm action.

We all know there’s numerous reasons why teenagers walk about with knifes and the whole gang culture thing but making excuses about why the police shouldn’t take firm action with stop and search and using more statistical based info to try to reduce this serious issue is not the best way forward in my view.
Edit: I retract much of this in the light of a later reply:

You know more (and more about) Guardian readers than me, then. You're the expert. I would have thought you were a bit too right wing to have dozens of Guardian reading mates. One lives and learns.

And who, yes, f***ing WHO, is making excuses? Do you understand what an excuse is? Some of us are interested in explanations in as much as they may form ideas about solutions that are a bit more nuanced than simply rounding up and throwing in the sea all young black males.

You appear to live in some deluded confirmation-biased world where you know all the answers before engaging your brain. If you think this thread has been taken over by Guardian-reading apologists for murderers you need to take a good look at yourself. Lazy and insulting. And offensive.

I think I had you on ignore once before and relented when I realized you were thick rather than nasty. Any more bollocks from you and I'll put you on ignore again. Life is too short to waste arguing with complacent twats whose opinions massively outweigh their knowledge and understanding :shrug: .

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That obviously shouldn’t happen and no one. condones that type of behaviour but that’s not an excuse to not ramp up stop and search .

Knife crime & murder are far more serious than an officer being racist to someone. That’s not excusing racism but horrible words are not the same as sticking a knife in someone . Guardian readers seem to think racism trumps everything, it doesn’t .
do you think this is an appropriate thread to titter at guardian readers?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You know more (and more about) Guardian readers than me, then. You're the expert. I would have thought you were a bit too right wing to have dozens of Guardian reading mates. One lives and learns.

And who, yes, f***ing WHO, is making excuses? Do you understand what an excuse is? Some of us are interested in explanations in as much as they may form ideas about solutions that are a bit more nuanced than simply rounding up and throwing in the sea all young black males.

You appear to live in some deluded confirmation-biased world where you know all the answers before engaging your brain. If you think this thread has been taken over by Guardian-reading apologists for murderers you need to take a good look at yourself. Lazy and insulting. And offensive.

I think I had you on ignore once before and relented when I realized you were thick rather than nasty. Any more bollocks from you and I'll put you on ignore again. Life is too short to waste arguing with complacent twats whose opinions massively outweigh their knowledge and understanding :shrug: .
hear hear

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You think that it is OK for police to be racists when going about stop and search?

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

I do not think throwing any one in the sea or rounding anyone up is the best way forward . I’ve never believed that.

I simply think that careful targeting based on stats is the best way forward .

I have not mentioned colour and I don’t agree that it is entirely a specific community issue . It is from what I’ve read largely a gang issue made up of black , Asian & white .

Just to be clear I’m not in any way saying stop every black teenager that walks around the streets of London or every white teenager that walks around the streets of Glasgow or every Asian teenager that walks around the streets of Birmingham . It’s far more nuanced than that . It’s about the dress , the vibe , the language etc etc .

Once you meet a few gang members and speak to them , it’s far easier to spot other ones . And yes I have albeit in NYC , I accidentally strayed into the wrong area .

I apologise obviously not all Guardian readers think the way I said but certainly the tone of much of the guardian editorial seems to be blaming everyone else rather than the people carrying the knives and that I find wrong .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here