149 Own Goals In One Match..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
In light of Brighton's three own goals today, the all time own goal record for one game was 149. It was in Madagascar. The news presenter said it was 'some sort of protest'. Well I can't help thinking that it wasn't misfortune.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That reminds me, I remember seeing on YouTube a game in which both teams tried to score own goals to avoid playing the strongest side in the next round of a competition!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
In light of Brighton's three own goals today, the all time own goal record for one game was 149. It was in Madagascar. The news presenter said it was 'some sort of protest'. Well I can't help thinking that it wasn't misfortune.....
Poor show,,could'nt even reach 150.....

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
That reminds me, I remember seeing on YouTube a game in which both teams tried to score own goals to avoid playing the strongest side in the next round of a competition!

Changing the sport, there was a cricket scenario on the final day of a dutch league where two seperate clubs A & B were playing together. The A teams tied at the top of the table. In a bid to lose by as much as possible one sides B team kept bowling no-balls, wides, everything, as their A side racked up 100's of runs. Somehow news reached the other game and a similar pattern ensued.

Needless to say both sides found it very difficult to explain how they amassed over 800 runs apiece to the league tribunal!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Barbados v Grenada in the Shell Cup in 1994. It wasn't to avoid playing the strongest side - it was to get through. Barbados had to win by two clear goals to get through, they were leading 2-0 until 3 mins from the end when Grenada got one back. Rather than try to score again, they scored an own goal to take it into extra time where, bizarrely, goals counted double. The normal period ended with Grenada trying to score an own goal and Barbados defending the Grenada goal.

[yt]ThpYsN-4p7w[/yt]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Barbados v Grenada in the Shell Cup in 1994. It wasn't to avoid playing the strongest side - it was to get through. Barbados had to win by two clear goals to get through, they were leading 2-0 until 3 mins from the end when Grenada got one back. Rather than try to score again, they scored an own goal to take it into extra time where, bizarrely, goals counted double. The normal period ended with Grenada trying to score an own goal and Barbados defending the Grenada goal.

[yt]ThpYsN-4p7w[/yt]

That's actually a different example from the one I'm thinking of....

'1998: In the last group match of the 1998 Tiger Cup, Thailand and Indonesia were assured of qualifying for the semi-finals, but both teams knew that the winner would face hosts Vietnam, while the loser would face Singapore, who were perceived to be easier opposition. After the first half saw barely any attempt to score, the score was 2–2 after 90 minutes, but during injury time, and despite two Thai defenders attempting to stop him, Indonesian defender Mursyid Effendi 'deliberately' scored an own goal, thus handing Thailand a 3–2 victory. FIFA fined both teams $40,000 for "violating the spirit of the game", while Effendi was banned from domestic football for one year and banned from international football for life. Both teams would end up losing their semi-finals, rendering the own goal meaningless.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Own_goal#Association_football_2

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's actually a different example from the one I'm thinking of....

'1998: In the last group match of the 1998 Tiger Cup, Thailand and Indonesia were assured of qualifying for the semi-finals, but both teams knew that the winner would face hosts Vietnam, while the loser would face Singapore, who were perceived to be easier opposition. After the first half saw barely any attempt to score, the score was 2–2 after 90 minutes, but during injury time, and despite two Thai defenders attempting to stop him, Indonesian defender Mursyid Effendi 'deliberately' scored an own goal, thus handing Thailand a 3–2 victory. FIFA fined both teams $40,000 for "violating the spirit of the game", while Effendi was banned from domestic football for one year and banned from international football for life. Both teams would end up losing their semi-finals, rendering the own goal meaningless.'

Own goal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol::lol:

Blimey, I hadn't heard of that one. I remember the kerfuffle over the Barbados and Grenada one but that Thai one slipped me by.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"Brighton's comedy of errors matched Sunderland's performance against Charlton Athletic in 2003 when Stephen Wright, a former Liverpool player, and Michael Proctor put through their own net three times in a league game.

"But this was a first for the oldest cup competition in the world. It pales, perhaps, in comparison with Stan van den Buys' performance for Germinal Ekeren (now Germinal Beerschot) against Anderlecht in January 1995 when the defender's hat-trick of own goals gave the Brussels club a 3-2 win. It certainly pales with the 149 own goals that Stade Olympique L'Emyrne scored against AS Adema in October 2002. SOE deliberately scored the own goals in protest at a refereeing decision and four players were subsequently suspended by the Madagascan FA."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports