Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Well, i have paid all of my season ticket money for this season. Even if I have mentally written it off for most of the season but also having to pay for games at just under £15, not sure I can afford that 4 times a month.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, i have paid all of my season ticket money for this season. Even if I have mentally written it off for most of the season but also having to pay for games at just under £15, not sure I can afford that 4 times a month.

You'd expect the club to make available the finest coverage on the planet if you can't go there in person but you've paid for it all up front.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really don't understand why the PL and EFL haven't launched their own streaming services. Cut out the middleman and pocket the profit. No worries about selling they rights as they own the rights! Stream everything; sell match/day/week/month/year passes etc or stick a standard definition stream up for free with loads of adverts on the page. Something to suit all pockets, no pirate streams needed. Tech wise it is straight forward enough and from a business point of view it makes sense.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Not a chance...must admit out of all the sports on atm footie without a crowd is the least entertaining - NFL, golf and cricket are eminently watchable without a crowd

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
NFL is unwatchable full stop.

its an odd price. especially given the cost of sky/BT subscription, and as PL clubs we get most/all televised at the moment. . . . I'd like to see an initiative to show league 1, 2 and champisionship games @ £5 or something . . . . cash less costs to clubs. its the very least the TV companies can do.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Wouldn't a consequence of this be that people are likely to split the costs with mates, which results in households mixing to watch games?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have Virgin VIP - £135 pcm for everything [but not Prime or Netflix]

All I really want is to be able to watch EVERY Brighton game - not interested in any of the other games.
I watch the cricket, BSB, WSB, MotoGP and F1 - that it.

So I'd be very happy to pay no more and maybe trade my golf / NFL / NBA and other junk just to watch the Albion regularly.

I did try dodgy streaming a few years back but the freezing and loss of quality / signal became unbearable.

£14.95 PPV is NOT an option, so what is? {to align to my viewing requirements]
Didn't someone hint that @Swindon has got some Canadian fire stick for a tenner per month where you can watch any game you want? That's more like it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is this £14.95 for Sky subscribers only or for all? The article doesn't make that bit clear

If it's the latter, I'd be tempted by it, but if it's £14.95 + Sky sub, then no, it's not worth it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The irony is that Brighton & Hove Albion will be a beneficiary inasmuch as ALL revenues are slung into the pot and distributed evenly. So if there was a game of two big teams were not on the box, more people may well cough up to watch it compared to a game of, say Brighton v Fulham. And we'd see an increase into our 1/20th of the kitty.

However, because Brighton will be on the box fewer times than Man C, Liverpool, Leeds Utd et al, we'll be paying more times than many others to watch our own team.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is this £14.95 for Sky subscribers only or for all? The article doesn't make that bit clear

If it's the latter, I'd be tempted by it, but if it's £14.95 + Sky sub, then no, it's not worth it

This hasn't been worked out yet.

Don't forget, this ISN'T a final decision. Merely an interim announcement while talks between the broadcasters, the DCMS, the PL and supporters goes on.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yep we had to renew in March! Direct debits still going out and those that pay by lump sum did so before the last season ended.

So potentially people are paying for a season ticket they can't use, a sky and BT subscription.... and now they want 15 quid for matches that you might've seen with the season ticket you're paying for anyway?

Shouldn't the clubs be sorting out an Albion TV style membership for ST holders?!

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Really don't understand why the PL and EFL haven't launched their own streaming services. Cut out the middleman and pocket the profit. No worries about selling they rights as they own the rights! Stream everything; sell match/day/week/month/year passes etc or stick a standard definition stream up for free with loads of adverts on the page. Something to suit all pockets, no pirate streams needed. Tech wise it is straight forward enough and from a business point of view it makes sense.

Like the NFL (I think).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Because they are football clubs, administratively run as such, not broadasters.

To have each club's own streaming services, you need fully functioning, state-of-the-art broadcasting equipment, technicians, support staff, licences (UK and international), and on and on, with no £100m reward.

You'll also see Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc run away with the viewing numbers, leaving the likes of Brighton in its wake, and the gap between the large and small clubs widening further still. If Brighton made £10m from this, I'd be astonished. Man U, with its worldwide appeal, on the other hand, would easily clean up with 50x more.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If it is £15 for each Brighton game I can certainly live with having MOTD for highlights of other matches so it might work out cheaper to stop my Sky+ subscription unless we get on TV three or four times a month.

Which is what makes me think they won't do it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why is it a bad move ?

The games they are making available for £14.95 aren’t currently being shown on TV so I’m not sure how they stand to lose anything.

At the moment they are available for "free". (Accepting that Free can mean ST, plus BT Sport, plus Sky subscription, Plus amazon Prime, Plus TV licence)

15 quid a game on top of that is a step too far for me. Especially if they want pubs to cough up an additional shed load as well (given the hit they've taken)

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’ll have to pay, because I don’t want to miss an Albion game, but I won’t now donate my season ticket money to the club. As a result the club will be worse off financially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here