[Albion] £14.95 to a Brighton foodbank instead - Monday PPV vs. West Brom.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Im sure those who donated the money would rather it was actually spent on food for those in need.

food banks mostly get their food via donations (you've surely seen the baskets at your local supermarket?). they also need staff for them to operate- which costs money, a building to operate out of- which costs money, promotional material- which costs money

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
food banks mostly get their food via donations (you've surely seen the baskets at your local supermarket?). they also need staff for them to operate- which costs money, a building to operate out of- which costs money, promotional material- which costs money

Agreed but £20k costs is stretching it a bit. At Hangleton & Knoll Food Bank when I volunteered there the manager was on about £5k ( I know because the job was advertised ). The Church provided the hall for free and anyone other than the manager was doing it for free. Just wanted to make clear that peoples money doesn't necessary go to pay very many wages ( unlike some charities like the RSPCA ). The best thing you can do to help a food bank is to donate food.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Agreed but £20k costs is stretching it a bit. At Hangleton & Knoll Food Ban when I volunteered there the manager was on about £5k ( I know because the job was advertised ). The Church provided the hall for free and anyone other than the manager was doing it for free. Just wanted to make clear that peoples money doesn't necessary go to pay very many wages ( unlike some charities like the RSPCA ). The best thing you can do to help a food bank is to donate food.

the Hangleton & Knoll one is quite a small one in comparison with the one at City Mission which is a huge operation. £20k probably covers either the manager or 2 part time staff members with maybe a tiny bit leftover. City Mission also offer pastoral care on top of the practical provision of food (last time I dealt with them anyway).Those wages will mostly be fundraised for (often by a paid fundraiser), so it MIGHT be the case that a large cash donation will let them recruit another staff member, increasing their capacity. Volunteers are great but charities can't necessarily rely on them all the time, so a core team of paid staff are essential. The St Cuthmans food bank would largely be funded by the church which is a plant from St Peters (who frequently do fundraising for it)

donating food is vital for a food bank- they can't survive without it BUT they also need a bit of wonga

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I help out at our local food bank and yes, plenty of food is donated as you say, but not enough.

None of us get paid, the space is donated, and it costs absolutely nothing to use social media for promotion.

Charity doesn’t have to be run as a business you know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the Hangleton & Knoll one is quite a small one in comparison with the one at City Mission which is a huge operation. £20k probably covers either the manager or 2 part time staff members with maybe a tiny bit leftover. City Mission also offer pastoral care on top of the practical provision of food (last time I dealt with them anyway).Those wages will mostly be fundraised for (often by a paid fundraiser), so it MIGHT be the case that a large cash donation will let them recruit another staff member, increasing their capacity. Volunteers are great but charities can't necessarily rely on them all the time, so a core team of paid staff are essential. The St Cuthmans food bank would largely be funded by the church which is a plant from St Peters (who frequently do fundraising for it)

donating food is vital for a food bank- they can't survive without it BUT they also need a bit of wonga

Emmanuel church (formerly Church of Christ the King) also help St Cuthmans food bank.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think it should be pointed out your donation doesn’t have to be £15 even if you buy a couple of tins at your next shop for a food bank or give to another charity of your choice. All I will be donating will be my pie money as that’s all I really spend on at football.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I nearly had a nap watching the Palace game, obviously they were boring team, but it wasn’t exactly a thriller.
I dropped of Utd cup game only ever going to be one result, woke up in time to see Pogba’s free kick which was heading towards the corner flag before it took the normal BHA deflection into the net.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not sure why this is either/or binary.

I wasn't prepared to pay the £15 all the time the club already had my ticket money for the game but PB has dealt with that excellently so I'm back in. However, I've also been donating to various charities in lieu of being able to sponsor my running mates which is what I did pre-Covid. Happy to give the next lot to a food bank which, as the OP says, is a good cause.

Agreed. This binary either/or approach is odd. I've raised money for Albion in the Community during lockdown (they do good work and i like running so why not) and spent money on replica shirts etc. I think £14.95 is a bit of a rip off - but no more so than i dunno - £4.20 pies . Should i only being doing the former now ? Also bemused that a certain fan twitter account who spent the entire summer moaning that we have "no money" to buy a striker, writing numerous articles saying we need back up for Connolly and Maupay, and yet now think we should stop "feeding the gluttony and greed" of the Premier League. Er, hang on.
Also presumably a boycott punishes Brighton not the "Premier League". Albion did a good job during lockdown of supporting local businesses and charities and paying their staff.
Its complicated...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. This binary either/or approach is odd. I've raised money for Albion in the Community during lockdown (they do good work and i like running so why not) and spent money on replica shirts etc. I think £14.95 is a bit of a rip off - but no more so than i dunno - £4.20 pies . Should i only being doing the former now ? Also bemused that a certain fan twitter account who spent the entire summer moaning that we have "no money" to buy a striker, writing numerous articles saying we need back up for Connolly and Maupay, and yet now think we should stop "feeding the gluttony and greed" of the Premier League. Er, hang on.
Also presumably a boycott punishes Brighton not the "Premier League". Albion did a good job during lockdown of supporting local businesses and charities and paying their staff.
Its complicated...

If the club are a bit short of cash, maybe the players need to take a look at themselves before the supporters are asked, yet again, for some more cash? Whilst the management team took a pay cut (or maybe a deferment?) I’m not aware the players have done so? The were in talks, then I understand talk was deferred so they could concentrate on finishing the season....then silence?

I’m not against PPV in principle, more that 15 is too high.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If the club are a bit short of cash, maybe the players need to take a look at themselves before the supporters are asked, yet again, for some more cash? Whilst the management team took a pay cut (or maybe a deferment?) I’m not aware the players have done so? The were in talks, then I understand talk was deferred so they could concentrate on finishing the season....then silence?

I’m not against PPV in principle, more that 15 is too high.

Potter, Ashworth and Barber all took pay cuts. The players and directors donated to a charity fund. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/club/club/albion-as-one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports