[Albion] 10 Years of Solly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don’t think it’s scapegoats as such
Enjoy the moment today 100% for sure
It’s just quite a few see SM as the Weakest Link
To progress as a team he may be the the player that needs replacing
Much like Bong a few seasons back

As I said previously, Graham Potter doesn’t think so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Currently GP is playing Solly it doesn’t mean he is irreplaceable
Nor should he be
It doesn’t mean his output is unappreciated
But IF he continues to spurn chances ? Who knows

Everybody is replaceable but he isn’t in the team for goal scoring. It’s great when he does but his place isn’t dependent on it.
It just irritates me when a player is singled out for criticism especially when we’ve won. He is human, and will get it wrong occasionally.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You don’t understand football if you don’t rate March, yeah yeah people said the same about Dale he left played about five games for Burnley and now is without a club unless that’s changed.
Average player, I don’t really get how people rate him great when you have Trossard to compare him to who is a real quality PL player. Each to their own I guess.
If we had needed that goal today maybe the reaction would be different :shrug:
In the stadium we wondered if was easier to score horrific miss.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Everybody is replaceable but he isn’t in the team for goal scoring. It’s great when he does but his place isn’t dependent on it.
It just irritates me when a player is singled out for criticism especially when we’ve won. He is human, and will get it wrong occasionally.

TB I think you misconstrue my comments
Personally I like Solly he s a grafter puts in a shift Local lad
But he doesn’t seem to deliver the promise he projects in training If tales are to be believed
But as a forward type of player He will Ultimately be judged on assists and goals
IF we wish to progress as per Tony’s dream scenario
perhaps his position is where we can improve upon ?
Solly seems to divide opinion within the fan base ?
It’s not just the new more entitled fans either!
Fantastic win enjoy the result Let’s move onwards and upwards
With Solly hopefully exceeding expectations as the focal point

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Has Solly ever scored a header?

Not bemoaning his performance today, he's been excellent starting this season and in my opinion should keep the shirt.

But if there was one player you don't want on the end of that chance it was Solly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Not bemoaning his performance today, he's been excellent starting this season and in my opinion should keep the shirt.

But if there was one player you don't want on the end of that chance it was Solly.

V Man Utd (H) in lockdown season. Before they get a winner after the final whistle

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Or Maupay. And he’s a forward too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing with Solly is we have to accept he's never going to score ever again, and only chip in with a couple of assists.
His one maybe two surprise goals should just be a bonus and nothing more.

If we did that he's instantly a fantastic player, having his best ever run of form.
His link up play with Groß is special.
He creates so much space.
He's tactically very astute.

The problem with that premise, esp in this team, is someone else must step up with an EXTRA 5 goals and assists.
Unfortunately we're not that team either.

So we're right back to square one:-

Solly March the enigma wrapped up in a conundrum.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm generally a Solly fan, but I'm afraid today provided all the evidence - if it were needed - of why Solly isn't good enough at finishing to play in that position at this level. His volley and his header were terrible, and he passed the ball backward when he got unsure, which was too frequently. We need Lamprey back up to speed, and fast.

Absolutely outstanding today

Football (fans); bloody hell!

:lolol: :clap::O:wozza:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm generally a Solly fan, but I'm afraid today provided all the evidence - if it were needed - of why Solly isn't good enough at finishing to play in that position at this level. His volley and his header were terrible, and he passed the ball backward when he got unsure, which was too frequently. We need Lamprey back up to speed, and fast.
Perhaps we should go for a surfeit of them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Solly has been brilliant this season but I fear he trains one on one with Lallana on goalscoring practice :smile:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yes, as Chailey Jem said, in the famous game against United but he also scored one away to Bournemouth a few years ago too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
10 years of a player who's never been good enough for the level at which we've been playing as we've gradually risen up the leagues to 5th in the premier

Apparently, despite being a constant (injuries aside) throughout it :laugh:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Should have done better with the header... Lamptey surely would have headed it hard into the corner, like he normally does. And the volley? Anyone would bury that!

... or not.

Solly is fine. Sure, he's not exactly mr Goal Scorer but his other qualities more than make up for it. Kind of like with Cucurella last season.

Yep. And Bissouma.

March has taken over from Biss as the one that some posters on here obsess about not scoring enough as he they need to try and justify their unfairly formed and totally incorrect opinion that March is not good enough for us despite the evidence of his performances on the pitch. He’s playing too well, it’s uncomfortable for them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
10 years of a player who's never been good enough for the level at which we've been playing as we've gradually risen up the leagues to 5th in the premier

Apparently, despite being a constant (injuries aside) throughout it :laugh:

Indeed. Managed by 5 decent managers, overcome a serious injury, came back and still starting games!

Yes might not have the spark or flare of some, but he’s a good disciplined player that can play in a variety of roles and a solid performer.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yep. And Bissouma.

March has taken over from Biss as the one that some posters on here obsess about not scoring enough as he they need to try and justify their unfairly formed and totally incorrect opinion that March is not good enough for us despite the evidence of his performances on the pitch. He’s playing too well, it’s uncomfortable for them.

You're right that March is easily good enough to be starting for us.

I suppose though the goalscoring questions come in because you look around the attacking parts of our team and the same sorts of comments can be made about quite a few of the players. Welbeck, terrific but not prolific. Lallana, wonderful midfield technician but poor in the box. It puts a lot of pressure on Trossard and recently Gross, the ones who are showing good goalscoring form (but don't have outstanding goals per game scoring records for us) to continue to take their chances.

I also believe March has a much better chance of starting every game if we play 3 at the back. He's such a natural wing back, with a great combination of attacking and defensive attributes. I'm less convinced he'll start every game if we play 4 at the back, which is much more likely now we've signed a genuine left full back. He could of course get a place as a winger in a 4-4-2 or in the front 3 in a 4-3-3, but he could find himself under pressure from a natural winger like Mitoma or Sarmiento or someone if they can come in and show they can achieve better numbers than Solly can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here