[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Again, these aren't really spankings. I can't decide which one I like best, so here are both:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

better than Hendrix

Thanks for these Pevenseagull. I stopped buying Throwing Muses stuff in the mid- to late-90s and haven't bought anything by Kristin Hersch, but these indicate that I should be reacquainting with them and her. Have you got any recommendations of her output since then. I seem to remember noticing that she's reformed Throwing Muses without Tanya D, and they've released something this year: is that any good?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Hopefully you appreciated that my post was indicating that Elizabeth Fraser has a sublime voice. But thanks for the link to Mister -- rather than Master -- Buckley.
As I like those songs that you've posted, can you let me know a few of your favourite current acts, as this might prompt me to acquaint myself with them.
Ta.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
There's only one cover of Hallelujah for me:

Buckley's is too overwrought for my liking. I lose the pathos and think he's just showing off.

Cale's version also reminds me of two other masters of understated heartbreak. Both on Costello songs.

I don't know if the second should count as a cover as it was written for him.

Good call on John Cale's version Of Hallejulah, lucky enough to have seen him play it live... eerie and majestic....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports