Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of my favourite Youtube videos is the one of Nina Simone playing at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, there is so much wonderful music from Nina but this in particular sends shivers down my spine. She sings and deconstructs the song 'Feelings' and turns what is a horribly cheesy record into a reflection of her troubled soul. She berates the audience for not showing appreciation, she berates herself for being robotic and then when she gets into full flow she pauses to consider the words of the song in her own life and almost breaks down in tears. And to finish we get a proper classical piano virtuoso performance. God damn, this woman had the X factor.

Flex Your Head

I love The Clash, but I prefer The Bartlebee's version of Garageland:

The Frente version of Bizarre Love Triangle mentioned earlier; I'm surprised that hasn't been used by a mobile phone company, supermarket chain, or car manufacturer in an ad yet. Seems to be all the rage - fragile, acoustic renditions of more famous songs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Frente version of Bizarre Love Triangle mentioned earlier; I'm surprised that hasn't been used by a mobile phone company, supermarket chain, or car manufacturer in an ad yet. Seems to be all the rage - fragile, acoustic renditions of more famous songs.

The fact that it hasn't been picked up might be a sad sign of our age. I guess the advertising Execs are too young to remember the late eighties. Hence Budweiser used Los Campesinos, not The Family Cat.

Flex Your Head

The fact that it hasn't been picked up might be a sad sign of our age. I guess the advertising Execs are too young to remember the late eighties. Hence Budweiser used Los Campesinos, not The Family Cat.
Too young, or too coked up to remember anything important. I can just see The Family Cat's 'Tom Verlaine' being used to promote a debt consolidation company in ITV4's daytime schedules!

Anyway, here's another corking cover.

Now, where to start with Armitage Shanks :bowdown:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Wouldn't you love to see Stump shouting 'HOW MUCH IS THE FISH' at Captain Birdseye?

Here's another. Not necessarially better than The Beach Boys, but when April Skies was in the charts, it was great to play the B-Side in High Street pubs and watch the reaction.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A couple of caveats to this...

It certainly doesn't SPANK the original, in fact I still prefer the original.
I started out strongly disliking this version, but it has grown on me over time and I now actually really like it (which I find odd).

***dons tin hat***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now this really does spank the Stones version

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here