Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just heard Wicked Game by Chris Issacs and am reminded of a wonderful cover a band called Wu Lyf did.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Been scanning this thread for a Pub Quiz 'Covers' round I'm creating and some amazing stuff and worthy of bumping.

Unbelievably this was a Sting song but the Cash has made it complete IMHO:

I am not a fan on Iggy Azalea but unearthed this for an earlier round and it's sadly on my playlist now:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
With over 500 versions since the original back in 1955 where in the space of two years it charted by artists Al Hibbler, Jimmy Young and Liberace....then better known by the Righteous Brothers in 1965 and soundtrack in the 90's film Ghost....the best version run closely by Sam Cooke is by George Benson imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sympathy for the Devil is a difficult song to cover, just ask Guns and Roses. But Motörhead have pulled off a decent version on their new album. It's faithful to the original (probably the best way to approach this as a cover) in the Motörhead style.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I dont know how to download videos and this one may have already featured on this thread but I cant be arsed to go through all 32 pages to check it out .......anyway,

THUNDER ON THE MOUNTAIN by WANDA JACKSON and JACK WHITE

totally spanks the Bob Dylan original and there is a great video of it on Youtube - highly recommended to put a smile on your face and get your feet tapping!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sympathy for the Devil is a difficult song to cover, just ask Guns and Roses. But Motörhead have pulled off a decent version on their new album. It's faithful to the original (probably the best way to approach this as a cover) in the Motörhead style.

Surely the best way to approach this as a cover is the techno-Dracula-Stalinist-scary burping vocals approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7muCRio2nQ

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I dont know how to download videos and this one may have already featured on this thread but I cant be arsed to go through all 32 pages to check it out .......anyway,

THUNDER ON THE MOUNTAIN by WANDA JACKSON and JACK WHITE

totally spanks the Bob Dylan original and there is a great video of it on Youtube - highly recommended to put a smile on your face and get your feet tapping!!

http://youtu.be/BnULGVbhPcY

best I can do

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely the best way to approach this as a cover is the techno-Dracula-Stalinist-scary burping vocals approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7muCRio2nQ

Ha ha, for sure. They have some quite bizarre covers to their name. I went to a lecture featuring one of the founders of Laibach/NSK a few year ago. Very interesting stuff and he explained the reasons for the covers.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ha ha, for sure. They have some quite bizarre covers to their name. I went to a lecture featuring one of the founders of Laibach/NSK a few year ago. Very interesting stuff and he explained the reasons for the covers.

Sounds interesting. It seems they dropped Sympathy for the Devil from their North Korean show, but did do some songs from the Sound of Music:

http://www.nknews.org/2015/09/laibach-rocks-n-korea-scenes-from-a-historic-concert/

Apparently the North Koreans seemed bemused and unsure how to respond. I would say that it is absolutely the correct response to Laibach.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think this quite fits the requirements, but this thread seemed the most appropriate place to post this without starting another thread.

Sierra Boggess is a significant name in broadway/theatre circles. She played Christine in the 25th Anniversaries of the Phantom of the Opera (both West End and Broadway - the west end had a couple of shows at the Royal Albert Hall that aired in cinemas and was released on dvd) after playing the role in Las Vegas, and playing the character in the sequel 'Love Never Dies'. She also played Ariel in the stage version of disney's Little Mermaid, I got to see her perform in Les Mis as Fantine (the Anne Hathaway role, for anyone familiar with the film). Like a lot of broadway people who make a name for themselves, she got to record an album. She recorded a live performance of what was essentially a one woman show. She talked about her inspiration, her career etc. While talking about her career, she gushed about how wonderful Andrew Lloyd Weber and his music is, in part, she said, because it is so accessible. It can be sung by opera singers, or pop stars, and every one in between, which set up this (I think impressive) medley of songs from various ALW plays sung in different styles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here