Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 expected at The Amex

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I dated a girl once who's sister was a Witness. I met a few of them and they're a nice enough bunch. They would try and peddle their faith every now and then but always backed off when I asked them to.

I did feel sorry for their kids though. Going to school and hanging about with kids allowed to celebrate birthdays / christmas etc. Must be hard on them.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Whilst they are not at the level of the Westboro' mob they do preach an old school view of the Bible's take on homosexuality. They recently produced a lovely little cartoon that is aimed at "educating" young kids on how homosexuality should be viewed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnk52bU92oE

Wow!

Pretty poor show of the Albion to take money from that bigoted lot. If that video isn't homophobic I don't know what is.

Appalling sect!!

k99

Jul 10, 2015
Wow!

Pretty poor show of the Albion to take money from that bigoted lot. If that video isn't homophobic I don't know what is.

Appalling sect!!

Even though I detest the message and it's implications, I am not sure if any part of it is outwardly encourages the hatred or fear of gay people - it's a bit too well produced to do that. The JW club is just like many other fundamental Christian sects in that they outwardly and seemingly bear no ill will to gay people but you can't join their club if you are a sexually active homosexual. You also can't join their club if you are heterosexual person having sex with other heterosexual people you are not married to. To use the analogy from the video it's baggage you leave at the gate before you get on the plane.

The scary message in this video is a gay person can change. In JW World a heterosexual person could be single, become a Witness then get married and enjoy a normal sexually active life. A gay person either has to choose to be celibate for the rest of their life or somehow change their sexual identity and act as a heterosexual person. Outrageous. According to the video mummy and Sophia are going to practice telling her friend with two mummies how they can be in the paradise - "split up, deny your sexuality and become a Witness". There's a nice, happy, inclusive message of Christian acceptance.

Regardless, I'm not sure how you legislate against peoples' take on morals based on their interpretation of a bunch of stone age stories written by nomadic shepherds. Where does it cross over from religious freedom of speech into something that constitutes ignorance, prejudice and hate?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Religion is the cause of all problems.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A problem of working from home is people knocking at the door. I've just had 2 very nice ladies warmly invite me to The Amex over the weekend and give me flyer telling me:

Friday 15th 9.20am-4.55pm
Saturday 16th 9.20am-4.55pm
Sunday 17th 9.20am-3.50pm

Free entry apparently and no collection either.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All this seems a bit unfair to me.

They'll be first in the queue for the new kit tomorrow, and most of them probably aren't even season ticket holders :nono:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even though I detest the message and it's implications, I am not sure if any part of it is outwardly encourages the hatred or fear of gay people - it's a bit too well produced to do that. The JW club is just like many other fundamental Christian sects in that they outwardly and seemingly bear no ill will to gay people but you can't join their club if you are a sexually active homosexual. You also can't join their club if you are heterosexual person having sex with other heterosexual people you are not married to. To use the analogy from the video it's baggage you leave at the gate before you get on the plane.

The scary message in this video is a gay person can change. In JW World a heterosexual person could be single, become a Witness then get married and enjoy a normal sexually active life. A gay person either has to choose to be celibate for the rest of their life or somehow change their sexual identity and act as a heterosexual person. Outrageous. According to the video mummy and Sophia are going to practice telling her friend with two mummies how they can be in the paradise - "split up, deny your sexuality and become a Witness". There's a nice, happy, inclusive message of Christian acceptance.

Regardless, I'm not sure how you legislate against peoples' take on morals based on their interpretation of a bunch of stone age stories written by nomadic shepherds. Where does it cross over from religious freedom of speech into something that constitutes ignorance, prejudice and hate?

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian. They say they are, but they aren't. They deny the deity of Jesus which is a fundamental belief of Christianity. They are a sect.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
My wife is a witness and her family too.

Never had a problem with it and its not really come up. It did when our son was being born and extra precautions had to be in place as she wouldn't have a blood transfusion. We always argued a little over what would happen if I had to make decisions for her but I said all along id do all we could to save her!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had the JW's at the door earlier this week, telling me all about this event.

Them: "Do you know where the Amex is?"

Me: "No."

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I've just thumbsed up ThunderBolt's comment about Jehovah's Witnesses not being Christian.

But I would also point out that there are millions of people who would interpret those "stone age stories written by nomadic shepherds" in a far more tolerant and liberal way, particularly when it comes to the more recent (non stone age?) New Testament.

How about concepts like "Judge not lest ye be judged" (just love the language) and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

EDIT: PS - and this in no way is intended to be in disagreement with what you say - quite the opposite.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
These ***** came to my door when I was young, no parents in, and talked to me for a while. I was too polite to tell them to go away and too innocent to understand what they were banging on about (turst in your neighbour and all that) until the gave me their literature at which point my sister got to the door and told them very impolitely not to attempt to brainwash a nine year old.

**** em (but also take their money innit).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
These ***** came to my door when I was young, no parents in, and talked to me for a while. I was too polite to tell them to go away and too innocent to understand what they were banging on about (turst in your neighbour and all that) until the gave me their literature at which point my sister got to the door and told them very impolitely not to attempt to brainwash a nine year old.

**** em (but also take their money innit).

They didn't try and brainwash me today. 'We'd like you to have this, all the details are on there' sort of thing. We agreed it's a lovely sunny day and I smiled and told them to have a nice day too as they went on their way.

They're really reaching out though. I'm closer to the Kent border than I am to Falmer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There is always a silver lining to a cloud... 10,000 less JWs knocking on us poor b'stards doors this weekend!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here