Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1 selection change for tuesday, please Lord Gus...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sparrow for Vincelot. Nothing against the lovable Frenchman, whose first touch is quite magnificent and looks very versatile and an all-round good player but without question for me, we needed more know-how in the midfield and we lacked Matt Sparrow's presence in my opinion. I would have replaced Barnes with Sparrow at 1-0 down to add more balance to the midfield, it might have been a bit negative but what do you get out of playing Barnes wide right when under the cosh? I would have rather Sparrow play out there and cause them more problems from deeper, I'm not saying it would have changed the result but I would have felt more comfortable.

I'm not sure what Vincelot offers that Sparrow doesn't in a central midfield position, a lot of people on here have accused him of being anonymous in the midfield but I didn't see what Vincelot contributed other than the occaisonal nice touch and occaisonal pass forward. Our best midfielder, without question, is Liam Bridcutt. Little gem of a player.

Not going to complain with the result today, I thought we bullied them at 2-0 up and we could have gone on and got a third, and should have had the penalty at 2-1. But it wasn't to be and we let them back in. On the plus side, I had a nice win on the virtual bookie game!

In summary, same team again but for Sparrow for Vincelot please, Gus!

Oct 25, 2003
would have sparrow ahead of dicker, personally.......are we going to have harley signed by the next game? if so i'd have him in for dicker and sparrow in for vincelot

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Disagree. I think the problem that Matt sparrow has had throughout this time at the Albion is that he has often had no presence at all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Midfield were all excellent today, ergo: you are blatantly fishing for attention.

Oct 25, 2003
personally i would've brought on sparrow or navarro on for dicker EARLIER.......dicker can be a bit of a liability which i believe results from a lack of pace and one-footedness, and when you're defending a lead tends to offer very little

but then i'm not a football manager and gus is

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Vincelot looked a bit slow towards the end, but he does not deserve to be dropped. Has been fantastic. Bridcutt out of this world again, love him

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
thought Dicker was unlucky to go off, would have taken off Vincelot myself even though I really like him as a player...but I suppose the logic was that Vincelot is naturally more defensive than Dicker...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
sparrow for vincelot. Nothing against the lovable frenchman, whose first touch is quite magnificent and looks very versatile and an all-round good player but without question for me, we needed more know-how in the midfield and we lacked matt sparrow's presence in my opinion. I would have replaced barnes with sparrow at 1-0 down to add more balance to the midfield, it might have been a bit negative but what do you get out of playing barnes wide right when under the cosh? I would have rather sparrow play out there and cause them more problems from deeper, i'm not saying it would have changed the result but i would have felt more comfortable.

I'm not sure what vincelot offers that sparrow doesn't in a central midfield position, a lot of people on here have accused him of being anonymous in the midfield but i didn't see what vincelot contributed other than the occaisonal nice touch and occaisonal pass forward. Our best midfielder, without question, is liam bridcutt. Little gem of a player.

Not going to complain with the result today, i thought we bullied them at 2-0 up and we could have gone on and got a third, and should have had the penalty at 2-1. But it wasn't to be and we let them back in. On the plus side, i had a nice win on the virtual bookie game!

In summary, same team again but for sparrow for vincelot please, gus!

NO WAY ! I would put Vincelot ahead of either Dicker or Sparrow.

Dicker today 'again' gave away a ball in a telling position which could have resulted in a goal against.

In the short to medium term, I think that Dicker and Sparrow are squad players no more than.

Last edited:

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Some people on here just love to criticise Dicker. He gave it away a couple of times, yes, but so did Bridcutt which nobody seems to mention. Also in the first half Dicker was the best player. He is the creative spark of the team and finds balls that cut through the opposition midfield line regularly. Some people need to get rid of their prejudged views because today I thought he was excellent. Perhaps Bridcutt is more consistent but today Dicker was quality and his absence was notable when taken off.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Some people on here just love to criticise Dicker. He gave it away a couple of times, yes, but so did Bridcutt which nobody seems to mention. Also in the first half Dicker was the best player. He is the creative spark of the team and finds balls that cut through the opposition midfield line regularly. Some people need to get rid of their prejudged views because today I thought he was excellent. Perhaps Bridcutt is more consistent but today Dicker was quality and his absence was notable when taken off.
This-
Dicker played very well today but when he did misplace a few passes you hear people moan, but no one does when bridders does. It's the same with barnes. As soon as he misplaces a pass people moan but they dont when cms does!

Lush

Mods' Pet
"That patience bore fruit in the 29th minute, as Craig Mackail-Smith ended a flowing passing move to score his second of the season.

The Seagulls won possession in their own half and Gary Dicker sprayed a stunning ball wide to Craig Noone on the left wing."

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't say Vincelot had a bad game. I was impressed by his touch, and his awareness but he wasn't doing anything Dicker or Bridcutt weren't doing. No complaints, he looks good, but I thought he offers less than Sparrow. Just my opinion, not looking for attention, just sharing an opinion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One other opinion, all criticism of Dicker is based almost exclusively on one misplaced pass. His vision to pick out Noone, nevermind the perfect pass, is further reason why he is so important to our team. He made some tackles and won the ball back in very dangerous areas. He is a very good player and along with Bridcutt, an automatic pick.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dicker was excellent today better than vincelot in my opinion.

The main reason for that I would say, is that Dicker makes himself involved. He makes the tackles and attempted the passes that define a performance. Vincelot didn't seem to do anything of responsibility, that I can remember anyway. That isn't strictly a criticism, because Vincelot played a part in keeping us moving as a team, but that isn't my sort of player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here