Clothes Moths. Who Else Leaping Around Their House, Clapping the Little Swines?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This time of year, my house is like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds", only with clothes moths.
I hate the little buggers, and this is why.
In 1983, when we went to Wemberley, to play Man United and make history, I, as all Albion fans did, bought a flag.
My flag went to both Wembley games, spent a while stuck in my CB radio aerial socket on the rear bumper of my Datsun Cherry whilst driving around for a few weeks over this period, and after the elation of a cup final appearance waned, I twiddled the stick to wrap the flag neatly for storage under my bed.
In 1985, I moved house. In the process of packing everything up for the removal van, I rediscovered my precious Wembley flag.
I hadn't unfurled it for two years.
I excitedly unfurled it in anticipation of a nostalgic wave, only to find the f***ing clothes moths had moved in and eaten three quarters of it.
I was basically waving about a pair of string underpants on a stick.
What was left was a grave yard of pupae where the moths had made their homes, laid their eggs, and hatched in to fully grown clothes moths. They had munched their way through a priceless souvenir to render it useless.
I'll never forgive them.
Get clapping everyone. Together we can wipe the fuckers out.
There's one now.....I'll get you, you.......CLAP. Bollocks. Missed.
There's another one. Where are they all coming from?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They are hardy little buggers. It doesn't matter how many you kill, you will not eradicate them - they always come back! I've started zapping them with fly spray but it hasn't made much difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't remember ever seeing as many as right now.

Aug 21, 2011
Are these small little moths approx half a centimetre?? If so I have loads of the buggers in my house. Where do they like to live, should I clear out my wardrobe and are there any tell tale signs of their nibbling??

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
They are well 'ard they just shrug off fly spray. Maybe a few succumb but the eggs go on and hatch anyway. Most of the time they crawl around and can't even be bothered to fly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The best method I found is when I see them resting on a wall to squash them using a bit of tissue. But they still keep coming back! They've nibbled their way through quite a few tops, which are now unwearable because of the holes. Utter bastards.

Last edited:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I suspect the little buggers live in our stair carpet. We've got some noticeable threadbear bits. Ever year we try to kill all we see but there's no defeating them.

D

Deleted member 2719

Simple solution . Wear nothing but polyester , embrace nylon , live an acrylic lifestyle.
Are you sure because we have a few and my current Albion shirt has what looks like pulls in the front and i don't remember rolling around on nails or anything.

I assumed the buggers now have a new hybrid with metal teeth!

:eek:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thank God its not just my house, I was getting paranoid. I am now a clothes moth expert.
This is my second summer of them. Last summer I was wondering where they all come from and spent all my time chasing and squashing them, but they do not go away, so I did some research and found out that they like to (mainly) live in the dark under furniture that is on a carpet. So I moved the furniture and sure enough there they were, live moths, eggs and larvae. if you get on your hands and knees the eggs are microscopic little white things in the pile, the larvae will have rolled themselves up in bits of thread like little tubes and of course the live moths will scatter.I have the same wool carpet in every room upstairs and down and this is the carpet they love. I spent a whole weekend moving furnitue including beds, wardrobes, TV, sofa,anything on the carpet and they were in all rooms.
I used the hoover with the end removed (just the pipe bit) and on my hands and knees sucked them all up, make sure that you cover the whole area. I was a little late as in some areas they had literally eaten through the carpet.
They are back this summer but nowhere near in the same numbers, but now I know where to look I hoover there every week.
They prefer these areas to live because they do not fly very well, so if you see some flying you will have thousands more hiding.
Other places to look are; In the folds of your curtains, in your wardrobe (they love wool and cashmere) and any other nook and cranny.
I live in a victorian house so I have lots of places they can hide like where the skirting board does not sit on the floorboards and the gap between the fireplace and tiles on the hearth etc etc.
If you dont at least try to get rid of them you will get infested they lay thousands of eggs in these places and die.
For complete eradication you can buy stuff from your local Rentokill to do it yourself with sprays and smokebombs, or a pest expert can do it for you.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought moths eating your clothes was something that died out in the Victorian age. They really still exist? :ohmy:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I have loads of these blighters in my house.

Never knew they were clothes moths.

Assume they only eat your shitty old
Clothes and leave the new ones alone yeah?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yeah we've suffered with them for years now, we had woollen carpets throughout the house. They have eaten the carpet under most of the furniture, we called out the pest controller who sprayed the entire house, but even that didn't solve the problem, so we've gradually replaced all the carpets to man made fibre carpets and this has virtually eradicated them, we have just one more room to replace, but I am only seeing one or two moths now,rather than the 10's and 20's before !
I really do feel for anyone infested by the little bastards as they are so destructive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports