A quick poll, only take a few seconds

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do if accused of child molestation

• Total voters

Okay I know it's an overworked subject by now, but indulge me for the sake of it - it's just take a moment.

The scenario;

YOU are accused, wrongly, of kiddy fiddling.

Please indicate your action (and let's just mention that if you were extremely famous, you would be even more vehement in your stand).

Agreed. Not as simple as that. Also completely impossible to give a rational answer to a hypothetical situation which is liable to render you irrational.

Also, why would fame mean you'd fight it MORE vehemently? And does vehemently mean that you are more likely to fight? Seems to go against the fishing expedition that NMH is on.

He's not thought this through, has he?

Agreed. Not as simple as that. Also completely impossible to give a rational answer to a hypothetical situation which is liable to render you irrational.

Also, why would fame mean you'd fight it MORE vehemently? And does vehemently mean that you are more likely to fight? Seems to go against the fishing expedition that NMH is on.

He's not thought this through, has he?

It must depend on you then. I know what I would do, and no 'rationale' would interrupt ME from my course.
The fame issue certainly invites me, if I were the accused, to put the record straight in no uncertain terms before the public, remembering that there will be public hell to pay in every moment of my professional and social future. No fading into obscurity or evading of that as an issue - despite my innocence.

You must have other feelings, but for me personally, it really doesn't require a third option.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What? YOU are falsely accused, and there are extenuating circumstances affecting this answer??

You are not considering the psyche of the person that is accused. The accused, quite probably (assuming he is innocent), feels incredibly hurt and let down by the whole situation. Does he want to drag his friend or himself through a lengthy legal battle? Does he want every part of his private life shared with the rest of the globe? Does he have funds to 'make it all go away'?

From the outside, I feel I would want to fight the accusations, but it is not that simple. It is a loaded poll to back up your opinion (not reality or legitimate truth) as to what you think of Michael Jackson.

NB I say this, not as a mad obsessed fan of Jackson, but someone that has taken interest in the whole case.

You are not considering the psyche of the person that is accused. The accused, quite probably (assuming he is innocent), feels incredibly hurt and let down by the whole situation. Does he want to drag his friend or himself through a lengthy legal battle? Does he want every part of his private life shared with the rest of the globe? Does he have funds to 'make it all go away'?

From the outside, I feel I would want to fight the accusations, but it is not that simple. It is a loaded poll to back up your opinion (not reality or legitimate truth) as to what you think of Michael Jackson.

NB I say this, not as a mad obsessed fan of Jackson, but someone that has taken interest in the whole case.

I need not have a "poll to back up my opinion", as this merely asks for others' opinions and reflects what others would do in the hypothetical situation. I back up my own opinion without requiring weight of approval from outside.
THAT also pertains to this situation - I'd take on against all others knowing very well that my innocence 'backs' me.

Not sure what 'his friend' has to do with anything?? If you mean the child, then taking on his guardians or him or any accuser is the issue. If the supposed victim is your idea of the 'friend', then you better think more about what friendship entails!

Why do you dress this up with a post about MY whys or wherefores anyway? I didn't ask you to take me into account in this otherwise straightforward-enough poll.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It must depend on you then........... I know what I would do................if I were the accused............You must have other feelings...................................

for me personally, it really doesn't require a third option.

And that is why it is not a black and white issue. Ooh, unintentional pun but I'll take it, all the same.

Everyone's different. Innit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I need not have a "poll to back up my opinion", as this merely asks for others' opinions and reflects what others would do in the hypothetical situation. I back up my own opinion without requiring weight of approval from outside.
THAT also pertains to this situation - I'd take on against all others knowing very well that my innocence 'backs' me.

Why do you dress this up with a post about MY whys or wherefores anyway? I didn't ask you to take me into account in this otherwise straightforward-enough poll.

A complex poll was dressed up as a simple one. You are asking us, a thinly veiled poll, what we would have done if we were in the same position as Michael Jackson. That is impossible as none of us are/will be/have been in the same circumstances as him. By all means, continue with the charade that it is just a straight-forward question, but it is not.

There are countless examples in real life of people pleading guilty for something to lessen their punishment, despite being entirely innocent, as the odds were stacked against them to justify their innocence.

A complex poll was dressed up as a simple one. You are asking us, a thinly veiled poll, what we would have done if we were in the same position as Michael Jackson. That is impossible as none of us are/will be/have been in the same circumstances as him. By all means, continue with the charade that it is just a straight-forward question, but it is not.

There are countless examples in real life of people pleading guilty for something to lessen their punishment, despite being entirely innocent, as the odds were stacked against them to justify their innocence.

Bloody hell! THIS IS NOT ABOUT OTHER EXAMPLES. :lolol:

Read the poll question, and answer or not. I'm starting to feel like a lawyer telling a witness to answer a straight question with a straight answer! If you don't want to answer then fair enough, don't. But for all this guff you keep up with, I rescind all further interest.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
See the paying option is way behind,paying somebody would not mean you were guilty and if i was in a situation where i could afford to pay if accused, i would without a doubt cough up to avoid the media and public hounding that ensues.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Guff? Coming from the man who relies on guff?

You claim it is not about other examples? It started off as a hypothetical question, but it is really about Jackson, as you have pretty much admitted in post number 11 that this is the case.

Law relies on case law. Other examples are essential to prove innocence or guilt, shirley?

Law relies on case law. Other examples are essential to prove innocence or guilt, shirley?

In Britain and The US, basically the burden in upon the prosecution to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
In this poll (therefore nothing to do with any other person real or hypothetical) all are innocent.
How is proof going to be attained to make an innocent person guilty?
So, (unless you are guilty) why are you going to pay off your accuser ???

See the paying option is way behind,paying somebody would not mean you were guilty and if i was in a situation where i could afford to pay if accused, i would without a doubt cough up to avoid the media and public hounding that ensues.

If you mean you would pay TO the accused, then tick that box (which you note as "way behind").

Personally I would pay everything to defend my innocence, I would stand tall and strong and face down every question, I would swear before God, on my soul and on my life.
I would also have faith in truth on my side, to reveal the accusers for their falseness.

Jesus wept, NMH. For a bloke who promised to rescind all further interest, you do go on and on and on and on.

It's not as simple as answer X or answer Y for some people. I realise for a 2 dimensional thinker like yourself, this is difficult to grasp but some people don't see the world like you do.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
At this moment, 19 people have managed to come up with the simple tick in response to a simple and direct question, whereas you come up with more ....well it can only be called guff. :bla:

Shit or get off the pot BoF.

Fine. I'll get off the pot. Pretty shit thread if you don't want a discussion about something that is extremely interesting. Still, I could jsut have been a zombie and ticked an option without offering a reasoning or stating my case.

In Britain and The US, basically the burden in upon the prosecution to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
In this poll (therefore nothing to do with any other person real or hypothetical) all are innocent.
How is proof going to be attained to make an innocent person guilty?
So, (unless you are guilty) why are you going to pay off your accuser ???

I thought I had stated why someone (Jackson) might pay off an accuser.

Here we go... Some options for you...

1) He/She does not wish to be dragged through a painful court process.
2) He/She does not wish to drag their (young, former?) friend through that.
3) He/She has the money to put a painful court case to bed.
4) He/She, whilst innocent, does not wish for their private life to be picked over in court, to the minute degree.
5) He/She is guilty as charged, but is able to pay them off.
6) He/She is being advised that they might lose the case, despite innocence.

You may (personally) want to defend yourself to the hilt, but do you have the money for a good lawyer? Are you confident, legally, that you are able to get off with a 'He did, no he did' sort of case? What truly matters is that you now you are innocent. You may scoff at that, but, as previously, plenty of people go down for something they didn't do and never recover from that.

By the way. I wasn't trying to be too rude, NMH. Just that I see you very much as someone who sees things as either black or white with very little grey inbetween.

But you do go on.

And you are always interested in telling me you think that.

I might try and colour my world with a little more grey.... or not - but in considering putting a THIRD option for the wishers and washers, and realised it might actually attract more people like you who want to state their case where it's not been asked for.
Perhaps there should have been a box for "people who don't like either option, have fun sticking your tick here and then hop it". But I thought that went without saying, normally. My bad :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports