Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dare we dream.......

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Most people seem to assume Wolves will be great but there are plenty of examples over the years of teams bringing in random assortments of big names and flopping. Chemistry is important - don't get that and it could be trouble. How many strikers have Massive hoarded over the years?

Chemistry is indeed the key. Notice how CH has broken up the usual pairs so far in the pre-season games - Duffy and Dunk haven’t played together, nor Stephens and Propper. He needs to see how new players will bed in and give new combinations a chance to develop some of that chemistry and understanding. But I’m betting that those two pairs will be back together at Watford on the opening day because they are proven.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leon Balogun, I have seen play, but only three times, and only on TV, which doesn't quite tell the full story. He looks alright - probably very capable competition for D&D.

However, I have never seen Yves Bissouma play football. Nor Florin Andone. Nor Alireza. Nor Bernardo.

Clearly, the SQUAD looks stronger, which is great. I'll be making no bold declarations about how much they've improved our starting XI, until I've seen all the above play a couple of matches.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The gambling that accrues most of his money is more like investments than a wing & a prayer type stuff. There will be some serious statistics being crucnhed then some serious maths done to work out probabilities. Pretty sure they'll have a whole raft of actuaries working on it.

Yup, that was what I was implying.

It appears to be a very different approach with regard to player acquisition and, interestingly it seems to be working.

el punal

Fulham signing Seri and Schurrle
Wolves going Bananas
West Ham can’t be as bad as last season - 6 points again?
Saints surely can’t be as bad?
Palace won’t start as badly as last season

on the flip side

Cardiff - unknown
Burnley with possible Europa league
Watford...
Newcastle have a tough start
Hudds...
Bournemouth...

Going to be a hard season, enjoy the ride, we don’t have the easiest of starts... first game v Watford is a BIG one. Need to avoid defeat.

Add Southampton to the list of possible drop-outs. All does not seem to be well in Camp St.Mary’s, with non-communicative owners, their decent players going to pastures new, their under performing players not being sold, and possible transfer deals being gazumped by other clubs.

Saints got out of jail last season only because Swansea proved to be even more shit than they were. Predicting is a dodgy business but somehow I can’t see them escaping the mire this time around.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone on here experienced more anticipation for a start of a season than this one, in respect of signings made and the division we're actually in?? I certainly haven't.

Gone are the days of reading about Dick Knight saying he bid £100,00 for a player, but the deal never materialising........working out the best way to get to Walsall, Darlo, etc....

HAPPY DAYS

p.s. going to lump on us staying up AFTER the first month, when we're a bit short on the points total due to those first few games.

p.p.s in hindsight, Walsall wasn't the best example to give, as it couldn't be easier to get to if you are driving!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m wondering if the lizzard is onto something.

At a guess, there might be some serious software in use, your purchases are pretty much under the radar of the British Media, yet mostly they’ve matched or exceeded expectations.

This.

And of course! The world's most sophisticted gambler relying only on scouts and agents? Nah. He's probably got a whole department in his other organization tracking every player at a number of specific clubs. These clubs would be either lower table sides in good leagues (Germany, Spain, Italy) or top sides in unfashionable leagues (Holland, Belgium, South Africa, English Championship).....And he would have entry requirements about each player - age, lifestyle, discipline.....

The French drug company, Servier, employed a friend of mine 30 years ago. As part of the recruitment process they sent someone to interview her old sixth form biology teacher, her parents, and her uni personal tutor. Very thorough. And they had a blanket entry-level rule for staff - no lefties. I would be astonished if the world's most careful risk taker didn't have the modern equivalent in place at the Albion.

Shhhhh! :rolleyes::lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
CH has got to get the players to gel. Hope the new influx have been recruited for attitude as well as skill, cause team spirit is what we have been about for 3/4 seasons now. On paper looks fantastic, just need to see what we look like on grass. Excited. Can't wait.

Invisible in the away kit.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
However, I have never seen Yves Bissouma play football.

Imagine a body-swap style movie where N'Golo Kante was placed into the body of Pogba. Then a 'The Fly' style sequel to that movie where this still-body-swapped person was merged with the striking power of Alan Shearer.

I don't think I'm overegging it when I humbly suggest that Bissouma will be the best player ever in the world.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Imagine a body-swap style movie where N'Golo Kante was placed into the body of Pogba. Then a 'The Fly' style sequel to that movie where this still-body-swapped person was merged with the striking power of Alan Shearer.

I don't think I'm overegging it when I humbly suggest that Bissouma will be the best player ever in the world.

Sounds HANDY.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd take 17th on goal difference TBH, anything better than that is just sweetener

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Undoubtedly we have a stronger squad this year, who will take a little time to gel. We appear to have done better than the competition (the other 13 teams) to date.

My only concern is that, out of the 40 points we achieved last season, 12 were against Swansea and West Ham. Swansea have gone and West Ham have improved.

Hopefully we will do well against Cardiff and not throw away points (Everton) this season. I am optimistic that we will improve away from home this season.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
As it stands, I fear for Palace, Huddersfield, Watford and maybe even Bournemouth. Optimistic about us. Solid in all areas.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am just pleased we have Man Utd early so we can get some points on the Board.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At some point we will hear the well worn sentences:
“Are they too good to go down?” and
“They have bought a lot of new players, they haven’t managed to gel them together”, and lastly
“They owe it to their manager to stick with him, even if they go down.”.

We’ve just got to hope that none of those are about us.
Well the first one won't be, if that helps.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As things stand we are still 4th favourites with the bookies for relegation.

Cardiff - 4/5
Huddersfield - 5/4
Fulham - 19/10
Brighton - 9/4
Watford - 5/2
Burnley - 4/1
Bournemouth - 11/2
Palace + Newcastle 6/1

Leicester are 16/1 which looks massive to me for a club that has lost its best player

Contrast Burnley at 4/1 and Wolves at 9/1 for relegation. Both prices are a result of Groupthink - accepted wisdom - that Wolves will continue their brilliant form and that Burnley will trip up with the demands of an Euroupa campaign.

Much like us, Burnley won't change the way they play and I expect them to grind out comfortable mid-table.

Wolves? Who really knows? Look value to me at that price.

Am also tempted by a very small wager on CP, given their financial constraints.

PG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As things stand we are still 4th favourites with the bookies for relegation.

Cardiff - 4/5
Huddersfield - 5/4
Fulham - 19/10
Brighton - 9/4
Watford - 5/2
Burnley - 4/1
Bournemouth - 11/2
Palace + Newcastle 6/1

Leicester are 16/1 which looks massive to me for a club that has lost its best player
It just shows there is pretty much nothing we can do in the transfer market to shift our bookies odds.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seem to recall last season Burnley were tipped for the 2nd season syndrome and had a hard start but then won at something like spurs and Chelsea and got points at anfield and other places. Set them up for the season.

Win at Watford and the confidence could pump through our veins.

Why not a repeat !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm concerned that of the 5 strikers we currently have only Murray has scored goals in the Prem and he'll be 35 in 2 month's time. That and the fact Andone hasn't kicked a ball while there are question marks over Locadia worries me slightly. I'd like to see us ship out Hemed and Baldock and bring in a decent loan striker - Tammy Abraham?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here