Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
There's been some snow this morning in the Northern parts of the Dales, about 50 miles north of Halifax, but none on the high ground around here... Apparently we're due some next week. image.png

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BBC are forecasting a daytime max of 3 and a minimum of -1 for SE London next Weds through to Sunday. That's pretty cold regardless of what US says.
It says 6 c and 1 c which is average

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's been some snow this morning in the Northern parts of the Dales, about 50 miles north of Halifax, but none on the high ground around here... Apparently we're due some next week. View attachment 71248

Anyone living in the Midlands northwards could be in line to get a LOT of snow next week. One upshot of southern England being on the mild side of the equation means that these areas would be more on the cold side, and will get snow rather than rain. I can see some very heavy snow at times.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anyone living in the Midlands northwards could be in line to get a LOT of snow next week. One upshot of southern England being on the mild side of the equation means that these areas would be more on the cold side, and will get snow rather than rain. I can see some very heavy snow at times.
From when ? Is Rotherham away safe from snow ? ???

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

SO, lets rate this as a percentage for snow for Sussex. 20% chance towards the end of next week?

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick

Am I still too far south in Flitwick, Bedfordshire for snow next week? I haven't had a good snow day here for many years.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nope, you might be looking at Brighton which will always be warmer due to the sea, but Beckenham has a max of 4 after Monday next week. And that is colder than average.

The charts are a little bit of a mess and its looking less likely of any real cold, as US has said in any feasible time-frame we are struggling to get below 6c and by 17th we are back to South Westerlies and possible 12c, the models need to change for any cold down here, I have a vision of a smug US at the moment :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And here we are at the 1000th page of this thread.

When I started this thread some years ago all I wanted to know was whether it was going to snow tomorrow (3rd January 2010)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The charts are a little bit of a mess and its looking less likely of any real cold, as US has said in any feasible time-frame we are struggling to get below 6c and by 17th we are back to South Westerlies and possible 12c, the models need to change for any cold down here, I have a vision of a smug US at the moment :)

However, there is still plenty of variability with the GFS and ECM ensembles for it to change. I'm strongly of the view that as soon as the outlook veers towards a milder solution it's unlikely to go back the other way, but the whole picture isn't as cut and dried as it may seem from the Operational output. I feel that by this time tomorrow we'll know either way.

I look forward to a smug US though

Flex Your Head

Yes, I've been looking at the forums on TWO - hope is fading. Tsk!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And here we are at the 1000th page of this thread.

When I started this thread some years ago all I wanted to know was whether it was going to snow tomorrow (3rd January 2010)

I remember that - I started my new job in Croydon the following day, and ended up wfh the whole week

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] What is it looking like for Rotherham on Tuesday? Is travel going to be difficult?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
However, there is still plenty of variability with the GFS and ECM ensembles for it to change. I'm strongly of the view that as soon as the outlook veers towards a milder solution it's unlikely to go back the other way, but the whole picture isn't as cut and dried as it may seem from the Operational output. I feel that by this time tomorrow we'll know either way.

I look forward to a smug US though

Lets hope so, I am always cautious/optimistic/neither when the models start stalling generally low pressure whistling in from west to east, the evolution of those charts must be very difficult to predict, there seems to be some blocking but looks weak more like a meandering of low pressure around the UK, 100 miles either way will change the whole cold/mild set up and nothing suggesting anything particular coming from the east, which unless this changes here in Sussex is unlikely to deliver the cold we are hoping for.

I am not sure there is any science based around my view here, more years of being fascinated by the models but I hope you get what I mean :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surely this thread should be changed to " Ore Snow Next Week Maybe " ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For now it's all about whether Rotherham is postponed, or impossible to get to.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] What is it looking like for Rotherham on Tuesday? Is travel going to be difficult?

For now it's all about whether Rotherham is postponed, or impossible to get to.

Current data suggest a cold day, but not quite cold enough to postpone it. Will undoubtedly feel bitter in the N/NW wind though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here