Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lincolnshire school denied top rating for being 'Too White'

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for trying to tell me how I think. But you're wrong. I am 100% taking issue with the misleading article title.

The media play a huge part in people's attitudes and opinions and trying to force a sense of outrage from what boils down to a non-issue can be a dangerous thing. "Not white enough!!!!? those bloody immigrants, pc gone mad blah blah blah". That's what it feels like this article wants to create. It's unfounded in this case. There is nothing to be angry at.

Teaching multiculturalism is a good thing. Ofstead should encourage it. What part of that is rubbish?

None of it is rubbish. You are right. Britain is multicultural, always has been to some degree. It isn't a case of 'promoting the virtues of multiculturalism' as [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] states, just teaching the fact it's there and exists in the UK. The kids having a lovely little rural life in Lincolnshire still need to know what goes on in the rest of Britain. It's not promoting some ideology, just teaching how it is.

I have no idea how that is rubbish either...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There isnt a definite answer so the teaching will be skewed, what do you actually teach about multiculturalism, that it is either great or perhaps broken, let our children be taught tolerance, respect, empathy, preferably within non/low religious environment, it is neither vague or politically driven and for me it is likely to deliver better results.

It doesn't have to be skewed - it can be simply factual. The Jewish community was first recorded on our shores by William the Conquerer. The first Muslims settled when they were employed by the likes of the East India Shipping Company, often first settling in port towns. The first mosque was thought to be build in 1889. Early communities of ex-slave West Indians were formed in our port towns from the mid 18th Century. This can be a really useful historical curriculum of how our country has evolved, and why we are multicultural today and what has formed modern Britain. This can be done objectively, and teaching kids about 'Britain' as it currently is has to be a good thing doesn't it?

Otherwise you might end up believing that it all happened when the Labour government got in in 1997!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
None of it is rubbish. You are right. Britain is multicultural, always has been to some degree. It isn't a case of 'promoting the virtues of multiculturalism' as [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] states, just teaching the fact it's there and exists in the UK. The kids having a lovely little rural life in Lincolnshire still need to know what goes on in the rest of Britain. It's not promoting some ideology, just teaching how it is.

I have no idea how that is rubbish either...

Having a 'lovely little rural life' doesnt mean that you dont know whats going on in other places, that is the typical sneering life view from you lot.

Its quite difficult to define multiculturalism, is it different ethnicity, different religions, different nationalities or a dulux chart of skin colour, of course it only becomes 'multi' when they reside in the same estates, schools, churches, synagogues or mosque which of course they dont, some wont even mix aggravating racial tensions, hardly multiculturalism as you define it.

Lots of different things exists together as they do in Lincolnshire, Glasgow and Brighton, but yours is a sneering view of an inevitable racism by white middle England because they haven't been to Lambeth, it is total rubbish.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Having a 'lovely little rural life' doesnt mean that you dont know whats going on in other places, that is the typical sneering life view from you lot.

Its quite difficult to define multiculturalism, is it different ethnicity, different religions, different nationalities or a dulux chart of skin colour, of course it only becomes 'multi' when they reside in the same estates, schools, churches, synagogues or mosque which of course they dont, some wont even mix aggravating racial tensions, hardly multiculturalism as you define it.

Lots of different things exists together as they do in Lincolnshire, Glasgow and Brighton, but yours is a sneering view of an inevitable racism by white middle England because they haven't been to Lambeth, it is total rubbish.

Oh do behave. 'You lot', 'sneering' - because I said 'lovely little rural life'? What are you going on about?

I don't think it has anything to do with racism - where have I mentioned race? It is surely as important for the little kid in Lambeth to learn about our rural traditions, and rural life styles as it is for the kid in Lincolnshire to learn about life in our cities and both to know our cultural history? Is that not what a balanced education and learning about Britain is about?

Where does race come into it exactly in what I've said in my posts so far - or have you just made an almighty leap that I'm part of some 'you lot'?

You need to calm down, take a breath and read what is being said before jumping down people's throats.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh do behave. 'You lot', 'sneering' - because I said 'lovely little rural life'? What are you going on about?

I don't think it has anything to do with racism - where have I mentioned race? It is surely as important for the little kid in Lambeth to learn about our rural traditions, and rural life styles as it is for the kid in Lincolnshire to learn about life in our cities and both to know our cultural history? Is that not what a balanced education and learning about Britain is about?

Where does race come into it exactly in what I've said in my posts so far - or have you just made an almighty leap that I'm part of some 'you lot'?

You need to calm down, take a breath and read what is being said before jumping down people's throats.

But it quite plainly isnt, there would be no such drive to let some inner city kid learn rural traditions, yes go to the local sheep farm for a day out, but beyond that it is never said that it is for any cultural reasons, whereas for the little white kiddies to go to Lambeth must encompass race and multiculturalism as if this is something inherently missing in his middle class DNA.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Multiculturalism doesn't have to be anything to do with mixing. Its about comparing and contrasting difficult cultures in order that, though mutual understanding [that actually we're not that different] we live together in harmony. Whether that is living together on the same estate, the same village, the same city, the same country or the same planet is largely immaterial.
Ignoring the existence of these other cultures just breeds ignorance and bigotry. Let's not fail to teach ANOTHER generation that "different" doesn't mean "inferior". From some of the attitudes shown here, the last generation didn't manage to teach all of us this basic fact.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But it quite plainly isnt, there would be no such drive to let some inner city kid learn rural traditions, yes go to the local sheep farm for a day out, but beyond that it is never said that it is for any cultural reasons, whereas for the little white kiddies to go to Lambeth must encompass race and multiculturalism as if this is something inherently missing in his middle class DNA.

I've read this 8 times now, and I can't really work out what your point is, or whether you have any real knowledge of what goes on and is taught in schools. I know for a fact that our rural culture is taught in our schools and is typically celebrated in a Harvest Festival in the Autumn term as an important historical cultural celebration. If you can't see that there are cultural reasons for this, or that visits to farms is an incredibly valuable educational visit, especially for those from urban areas, then I am lost for words. The same then applies for what [MENTION=23289]father_and_son[/MENTION] has just replied with regarding multiculturalism.

It is important for all kids I would say regardless of their race or cultural background. You seem to be the one making distinctions.

That's not an accurate reflection of the thinking that lay behind the exchange programme that my kids' primary school developed back in the late eighties. And the underlying assumption that the "little white kiddies" from a rural primary school must have "middle class DNA" is quite plainly wrong. Just like bushy, you are revealing an ignorance of English rural life that I find rather depressing. I obviously blame the failure of urban schools to appreciate the breadth of cultural diversity in England.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's not an accurate reflection of the thinking that lay behind the exchange programme that my kids' primary school developed back in the late eighties. And the underlying assumption that the "little white kiddies" from a rural primary school must have "middle class DNA" is quite plainly wrong. Just like bushy, you are revealing an ignorance of English rural life that I find rather depressing. I obviously blame the failure of urban schools to appreciate the breadth of cultural diversity in England.

You absolutely know that I was referring to a previous post and those comments you attribute to me was a spin on how that previous poster seemed to have thought.

Which bit of rural life do you think me and Bushy are ignorant on and perhaps what qualify's your expertise on it ??

Which bit of rural life do you think me and Bushy are ignorant on and perhaps what qualify's your expertise on it ??
To be honest, I think the ignorance of English rural life that I find irritating is very widespread and certainly not confined to you and bushy.

Nor would it be right to argue that there is a uniform thing called "English rural life" that can be found everywhere. I'm probably arguing for people to recognise that there is still an agricultural economy in our countryside, that determines a lifestyle that is recognisable and worthy of respect.

There are not many rural communities in Sussex which are as heavily dependent upon the agricultural economy as the place that I have lived in for nearly 40 years - a community where most people live in accommodation rented from landowners who, to the extent that they can, actively discourage commuting to urban jobs as a way of life. A rural community which likes to think that folk still walk to work.

This is a thread about rural Lincolnshire, though - and that is a county which is a lot more "traditionally rural" than most of Sussex. I do, however, feel an affinity with the place that is based upon my knowledge of the genuinely rural community where I live.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To be honest, I think the ignorance of English rural life that I find irritating is very widespread and certainly not confined to you and bushy.

Nor would it be right to argue that there is a uniform thing called "English rural life" that can be found everywhere. I'm probably arguing for people to recognise that there is still an agricultural economy in our countryside, that determines a lifestyle that is recognisable and worthy of respect.

There are not many rural communities in Sussex which are as heavily dependent upon the agricultural economy as the place that I have lived in for nearly 40 years - a community where most people live in accommodation rented from landowners who, to the extent that they can, actively discourage commuting to urban jobs as a way of life. A rural community which likes to think that folk still walk to work.

This is a thread about rural Lincolnshire, though - and that is a county which is a lot more "traditionally rural" than most of Sussex. I do, however, feel an affinity with the place that is based upon my knowledge of the genuinely rural community where I live.

I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I do not necessarily disagree with this bit, especially when you consider my wife is a Sussex Farmer's daughter, and I too have been close to that farm and its associated environments for some 30+ years.

My experience might not result in the ignorance you say !!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If there's a massive gap, perhaps you would like to provide some justification for your statement. In other words, what is the "available evidence" you are suggesting.?

How about the number of BNP councillors in rural white britain? Or you really being obtuse or stupid? Your asking me to state the obvious, why dont you go and do one?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No it isn't. Some areas are but most are predominatley English.

Great Britain is multicultural and has been in one form or another for thousands of years. We've been invaded and occupied on numerous occasions. Much of our history is founded on foreign culture. London has always been an epicentre of trade and a melting pot of various cultures. We conquered cultures, we enslaved some, got others to fight our wars, and invited many to help us rebuild. Like it or not, Great Britain is multicultural. You saying some areas are predominantly white has no bearing on that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How about the number of BNP councillors in rural white britain? Or you really being obtuse or stupid? Your asking me to state the obvious, why dont you go and do one?

There are just 2 BNP councillors left in the entire country.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Great Britain is multicultural and has been in one form or another for thousands of years. We've been invaded and occupied on numerous occasions. Much of our history is founded on foreign culture. London has always been an epicentre of trade and a melting pot of various cultures. We conquered cultures, we enslaved some, got others to fight our wars, and invited many to help us rebuild. Like it or not, Great Britain is multicultural. You saying some areas are predominantly white has no bearing on that.

Really? So why the modern and recent desperation to promote multiculturalism and mass immigration if "its the same as its always been"?

There are just 2 BNP councillors left in the entire country.

Irrelevant to the point I was making.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What a very constructive response. Just what I should have expected.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What a very constructive response. Just what I should have expected.

What are you doing in a debate where you dont understand the really basic stuff, you know, that barking is more likely to be a hotbed of exstremism than Bracknell.

You are either stumbling about cluelessly or being rude, so F off is the right response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here