Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football people who are just impossible to dislike

Dec 15, 2014
Here
My nomination: Jurgem Klinsmann, I mean he's German too and we still hated Germans when we all fell in love with him. That was quite a feat to pull off back in the mid 90s.

I've always liked Jurgen but it was tough when he didn't pick Landon Donovan for the US National team in the world cup.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I thought that everyone knew Bobby Robson was the most likeable man in football ever ! How this ever got past one reply, let alone 9 pages :rolleyes::smile:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can I echo Steve Bruce.

I was staying just outside Solihull where he used to live (may still do) a few years ago, and it was remembrance Sunday. Bruce was out for a Sunday morning jog.

He stopped at the small gathering, stayed to observe the two minutes silence, then jogged on.

As an aside, he's not as tall as I thought he was, and his nose is all over his face.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Matt Holland is another good guy. Not only is he becoming a very good and fair pundit but he was a great ambassador as a player.

I remember turning up at the Charlton training ground once to do an interview with the goalkeeper for a kid's newspaper. The goalkeeper didn't show and Holland, as club captain and a much bigger name with probably more to do, volunteered to stay behind and do it so the club wouldn't let anyone down. It was the kind of thing you can imagine Calderon doing.

And trust me, as a journalist you remember those kinds of acts because the opposite is far more common. Others who have done similar are Cesc Fabregas, Ally McCoist - plus plenty of Championship players, including Gordon Greer and recently Ikechi Anya at Watford.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dean Wilkins.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Walcott actually comes across as impeccably nice and gentlemanly with a certain scared little boy charm about him. I can just picture him thanking his girlfriend's parents for the tea and cake they just made him and clearing away his own plate.

I recall seeing him in one of those Lip Reading Corner sections they have in lads mags. He'd been clattered to the ground during an England match and was being offered a hand up by the opposing player. He was quoted as saying "OUCH!....No I'm ok dude, I'm ok" :lolol:

:lol:
Spot on. Seems a lovely boy.

Oxlade Chamberlain comes across well too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here